G4 Soundcard

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
RedSky
No Longer Registered

G4 Soundcard

Post by RedSky » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:11 pm

I have a Mac G4 with 1.12 GB memory. I bought a fast track USB interface which was faulty so I sent it back, but I was wondering about buying a sound card- I really am clueless about this kind of thing. I'm not even sure if I actually need one only there are no 1/4" inputs on the back of the G4. I've seen a sound card with plenty of 1/4 inch inputs for £70 and as I'm very restricted financially have been wondering about it. You need to excuse my ignorance. I'm not sure what to do.

KnowGood
No Longer Registered

Post by KnowGood » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:45 pm

Is this a G4 tower? If so you can buy a sound card for it but if it's an iMac/eMac or mac mini then you will need an audio interface such as the Fast track USB that you had. Since you returned it you can now upgrade the interface to a firewire interface such as the Edirol FA-66. I suggest staying away from M-Audio all together as I have had nothing problems with their gear and it seems you're already off to the same start. If I may suggest the following:

•Edirol FA-66
•Focusrite Saffire
•PreSonus Inspire (fairly cheap)
•PreSonus Firebox

The reason I say go firewire, is because you'll experience less latency than with a USB interface. The reason is that although firewire travels at 400mbps and USB at 480mbps, firewire travels at that speed at all times whereas USB fluctuates. One time USB could be at 380mbps, and another time at only 100mbps. So although firewire looks like it is inferior to USB, it is in fact superior in the way it handles data.

RedSky
No Longer Registered

Post by RedSky » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:12 pm

It is a tower, yes. Thanks for the info.

monk_volcano

Post by monk_volcano » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:29 pm

i just want to share my experience with my G4 800mhz..

it's an ibook w/ 640 mb RAM, so granted, it's not the fastest thing in the world.. but when i hook it up to my Presonus Firebox, I can barely get any performance out of it, no matter what I do.. that's at 16/44 with a relatively high buffer.. I'm not sure why exactly, but the audio starts to c**p out way sooner than it would if using the stock soundcard..

now your computer should have a considerably faster FSB, which should help, and more RAM.. but still, make sure that whatever card you get will perform on the system you have.

RedSky
No Longer Registered

Post by RedSky » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:52 pm

It's Mac OX 3.5. Any recommendations?

goom

Post by goom » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:12 am

I'm running OS9 on my Mac with a Korg Oasys PCI soundcard/synth. I love it, but it's not compatible with newer Mac OS versions.