Juno 60 headphone out too quiet, main out noisy

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
artfulideas

Juno 60 headphone out too quiet, main out noisy

Post by artfulideas » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:20 am

Basically, the headphone out is really quiet, and in mono, even when the hi/med/lo switch is on high, and volume maxed out, AND plugged into the stereo out.

And the main out has alot of crazy, almost musical backround noise, even when turned down. The noise changes the way its acting according to which patch its on.

Ive heard this is just how the Juno 60 is in general, but I find it hard to beleive this is standard.

Any suggestions or quick fixes?
thanks
Drum machines: Machinedrum UW mk II, modded TR-606, TR-707 & TR-727 (both circuit bent), ER-1 mkII
Synths: MFB Synth II, MicroKorg, modded Fatman, Mini theremin

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Multimeter
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff
Band: Cybernetik

Post by Maschinengeist » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:23 am

That could be just a matter of adjusting the VCF / VCA trimpot. But that could be something else too. Pretty hard to say from a distance (at least in my case). Of course, an inspection with an oscilloscope can test you more.

I doubt that it's a bad cap case. Sounds to me like a filter problem.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"

artfulideas

Post by artfulideas » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:33 am

thanks, the filter is ok, and maybe Im exagerating about the noise, it snot that loud.. But another thing I didnt mention is the master volume pot is scratchy. Maybe thats the culprit?

He machiengeist, I still need you to do those retrofits and repairs we spoke about. I sold my CS-01 but am looking for a MKII as we speak. thanks. hey, maybe I willl do the ridiculous thing and send you the J60 too?
Drum machines: Machinedrum UW mk II, modded TR-606, TR-707 & TR-727 (both circuit bent), ER-1 mkII

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff

Post by Maschinengeist » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:28 am

Cool. I'll have an eye to my PMs/emails then.

Well, in VERY extreme case of dirt in the pot, that could atenuate the output. A bad cap too. But I'm still sold to the idea of the filter though.

The filter might appear to be correctly working from the control panel BUT doesn't filter out correctly (and that is more subtle to detect).
MuzikElektronix.com
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Sorry, they aren't free

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:13 am

what worked for my friend is he would keep the the pa/amp volume really low, set it to high out out and turn the volume on the synth up higher, i dunno sounds a lil weird but it worked for him

artfulideas

Post by artfulideas » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:20 am

Hmm, maybe Ill try fixing/replacing the volume pot first since that definitely needs looking into anyways...
Should I spray contact cleaner in there or is that a bad idea? Maybe I should take it apart and just clean it or something? That kind of stuff is sort of fun.

artfulideas

Post by artfulideas » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:22 am

ColorForm2113 wrote:what worked for my friend is he would keep the the pa/amp volume really low, set it to high out out and turn the volume on the synth up higher, i dunno sounds a lil weird but it worked for him
thats sort of what Im doing. also a filter set to the right setting would eliminate most of the noise cus it sounds like its all super high frequency.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:32 pm

Forgive me if this is stupid and patronising, but just check you have the VCA level slider set at least half-way up. IIRC, it has a centre-zero, and goes + and - from there...

:)

dougt
No Longer Registered

Post by dougt » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:46 pm

It would help if you could post an audio file of the sounds you are hearing. My guess is what you are most likely hearing is the high-frequency address bus and data bus activity. This is most likely caused by a broken or flaky traces on the circuit boards or interference in the ribbon cables...

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff

Post by Maschinengeist » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:20 pm

artfulideas wrote:Hmm, maybe Ill try fixing/replacing the volume pot first since that definitely needs looking into anyways...
Should I spray contact cleaner in there or is that a bad idea? Maybe I should take it apart and just clean it or something? That kind of stuff is sort of fun.
You cannot take apart the pot. To clean it, just spray contact cleaner around the shaft and turn the post fast a few seconds. You might need to do it a few times to remove the dirt. Just go with a little amount of spray... Don't empty you can in there!
MuzikElektronix.com
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Sorry, they aren't free

Anaki_Muon

Post by Anaki_Muon » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:59 pm

My main volume causes crackle too. I get around this by not adjusting it when I play.

I had the same problem with the main outs as well- but I found once I simply stuck a power-bar between my wall outlet and the Juno 60 it solved the problem. I think the 60 is really sensitive about the power it consumes. One should use a power-bar between everything anyhow.
Korg MS20 & Wavestation A/D, Roland Juno 60 & Juno 106 & MKS50 & D110 & MC202, Ensoniq EPS, Yamaha FB01, SP07b, Casio CZ5000 & SK1, Alesis Micron, Cakewalk Z3ta+, Propellerhead Reason, Garriton Personal Orchestra

artfulideas

Post by artfulideas » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:14 pm

power bar? the only thing I know of by that name is a health snack.

Does it have something to do with the grounding? Since I got it Ive only have had it on a keyboard stand, should I try it on a table?

thanks