Reel to reel recording info!

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
PitchBender
Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice

Reel to reel recording info!

Post by PitchBender » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:43 pm

Hoping some of the wise ones around here can help me out. I have recently stumbled upon a Tascam 388 - 8ch mixer w/dbx - reel to reel. I'm desperately looking for any tips or info regarding this machine and tape recording in general. Can anyone recommend a book, forum or site with good info? And I'll be your best friend for a pdf manual for the 388. :)

DX

Post by DX » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:56 pm

Sorry I can only help with REVOX machines, not Tascam.

I usually work with the B77 / PR99 models due to my job. They are wonderful machines for an analog tape sound. Things to take care of are: The heads (cleaning, bias, etc). If there are any belts, they are important too. (wear, tightening).

It is really a pleasure to record a song into one of these with high level (analog clipping at some cases) and then , replay it: IT sounds cool!.

Enjoy your new machine,
Roland Promars, E-mu EMAX and some other machines...

WellingtonCrab
Band: The Summer Darlings

Post by WellingtonCrab » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:43 pm

I have a Tascam 246 Portastudio that I record with, which is essentially a 4 track cassette version of the 388, and it sounds great.

The main thing to remember is the clean to heads AND the rubber rollers after every use, with the proper cleaning supplies. Lot's of AV places suggest you just use 99% isopropyl alchohol, which will work, but will eventually toughen and pit the rubber. Also with reel to reel especially, it's important you demagnatize the recording heads every so often.

You can buy a whole cleaning kit with enough chemicals to last a long while and a demagnatizer here for just 30 bucks:
http://www.vintage-electronics.cc/vparts.html
DSI Tempest, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland JX-8p, Elektron MDUW, Sequential Circuits Prophet 2000, Akai Ax-60 and S-612, Korg microKORG, Roland RS-09, Omnichord OM-84, Zoom ST-224, SX-64 + Prophet 64, Tascam 246

WellingtonCrab

Post by WellingtonCrab » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:50 pm

It's also worthy of note you can buy service manuals and repair parts from that same website.

I have purchased a few things from them, and while they are not terribley prompt, they are reliable.
DSI Tempest, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland JX-8p, Elektron MDUW, Sequential Circuits Prophet 2000, Akai Ax-60 and S-612, Korg microKORG, Roland RS-09, Omnichord OM-84, Zoom ST-224, SX-64 + Prophet 64, Tascam 246

PitchBender
Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice

Post by PitchBender » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:05 am

awesome dude. thanks for the tips.
unfortunately, i dont have the space for the 388 in my little apartment, it's a feaking monster. so its going to my brother's place.

deadgobby

Post by deadgobby » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:40 am

If I was you. Find a space for it. Tascam reel to reel are freaken great. You can power use it and get alot out of it.
Gobby

WellingtonCrab

Post by WellingtonCrab » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:27 am

Yeah, I would keep it if you can.

I don't even use my computer for anything but recording the mix down now, they really sound that good (if you like that sound).

burnt toast

Post by burnt toast » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:04 am

you shouldnt use isopropanol on rubber rollers - it will kill them. they will crack and go funny after a while. unfortunately you should really replace the rubber parts when they are worn out. you should use kimtech's as well http://www.kcprofessional.com/us/Kimtech.asp so you dont get paper rubbish on the heads when you clean them.

WellingtonCrab

Post by WellingtonCrab » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:11 pm

burnt toast wrote:you shouldnt use isopropanol on rubber rollers - it will kill them.
This is true, which is why I suggested he use the proper chemicals, and not alcohol like many might attempt to instruct him to do.

As for cleaning, sturdy wood handled q-tips work quite well and don't get rubbish on the heads.