Got a synth from Japan...100 volts - Question.

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
ultima

Got a synth from Japan...100 volts - Question.

Post by ultima » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:09 pm

I have this MS-20 that i got from Japan, its 100 volts.
Might be a stupid question but is it safe to run it at 110 volts?

I might have a pretty hard time trying to a find a 220-100 volt transformer here on the Island.

MarkShovel

Post by MarkShovel » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:23 pm

look for a VARIAC

Mark
A6 2 V-Synths VC-1 VC-2
OB-Xa OB-8 two Matrix-6 Matrix-1000 DX
Fantom X8 Waldorf uWAVE XT
JD-800 JP-8000 XP-50 Juno-60
JX-10 2 JX-8P's w/ 1 PG-800
2 JX3P's w/ 2 PG-200s
Moog Opus-3 Boss DR-770
21 guitars 3 Marshalls

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:05 pm

Well, there is some leeway in the voltage supplied through the mains. UK stuff can take 230-250. I bought a 100v synth a little while back and couldn't find a 100v converter here in the UK, so got a 240 to 110 instead. Absolutely fine. No problems at all.

The thing is, not only is there fluctuation in the mains supply, the transformer of the synth's internal supply won't put out a significantly different voltage to the regulators than it normally would. Standard 78/79 Regulators can handle about 30v typically, and will still put out their nominal 15v or whatever. Not all power supplies will use these regs, but the MS-20 does.

On the other hand, the MS taps off a nominal 18v from the diode rectifier before the regs - so if the transformer is putting out slightly more, the voltage that goes to the oscillator circuits will be more, which may affect their performance.

If you're handy and safe with electronics, you could try measuring the voltage applied to the regs, but this could be potentially very dangerous if you do not know that you are doing, so this is NOT a recommended approach unless you are an expert with such things. Mains voltages can be fatal.

Maybe try the other converter and see. I doubt you'll harm the synth, it might just need fine tuning to work properly.

Bear in mind I may be horribly, expensively wrong on this :lol:

T3rtium_Quid

Post by T3rtium_Quid » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:36 am

Not a stupid question at all. I asked the same when I got a CS10 from Japan some time ago and popular consensus was that it would be better to be safe than sorry. Perhaps something like this would do the trick?