Midiman 4x4 help

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
voicedood

Midiman 4x4 help

Post by voicedood » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:39 pm

So I bought a second M-audio usb midiman 4x4 and just got around to hooking it up but I can't get Cubase to receive the midi signal. The unit itself is responding, the pc knows it's there and cubase did add a second set of ins and outs but it doesn't get the incoming midi signal. I've never had a problem with my first one...
It's probably something really stupid and obvious but any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Chronologically speaking: Performer, Prophet 5, SH2, Juno 60, Jupiter 8, OB8, CZ 101, Emax II, Sirius, MEK

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Post by tunedLow » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:25 pm

That is weird. When you say a second one, I assume the new one is a replacement and you're not trying to daisy chain them in any way.

I guess you tried every different in that Cubase adds to the track list. I have a usb device and it gives me 3 different usb ins when it's activated, and only the second one works correctly.

Sorry I couldn't help more. Good luck.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:31 pm

I suppose the obvious thing is to go and do something else for a few minutes, then get back to it and check all the connections, check the selection in your MIDI device list on each track for in & out sources, check the channelisation on the unit & on cubase & on your synths...

I use an old midiman interface with my pc, and i find that whenever I switch on or replug it, cubase defalts to soundcard midi connections. Make sure you have the interface selected and activated too. Beyond that, I'd have to check manuals and things.

Bah. technology...

voicedood

Post by voicedood » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:40 pm

No, the second one is in addition to the first one. I needed more midi ports and your supposed to be able to add units to expand.
When I only used one, it listed USB A-in, USB A-out, USB B-in, USB B-out, etc. When I added the second unit, it now shows all 8 ports calling them USB A1-in, USB A1-out and USB A2-in, USB A2-out, etc but cubase doesn't see the incoming midi when you hit a key on the synth connected to port A on the new unit. The unit's light blinks though so I know it's getting the signal. And the pc gives an alert when I unplug the usb cord so I know it sees the unit. I just can't get cubase to receive it. The original 4 ports still work fine, btw.

Anyone? Anything?
Chronologically speaking: Performer, Prophet 5, SH2, Juno 60, Jupiter 8, OB8, CZ 101, Emax II, Sirius, MEK

vynlOverdrive
Gear: Mesa, Ibanez, Artura, Jackson, Waves, JBL.
Band: sad monster party

Post by vynlOverdrive » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:39 am

don't use/know about cubase, but in sonar, you have to select the midi devices it recoginizes, and anything new defaults to 'inactive'. you may have to have cubase scan for it / enable it or something.

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:37 pm

you might want to check with m-audio and their web site but i dont think their drivers support multiple devices. i dont know anyone who has been able to do this sucessfully. do you have anything against an 8x8?

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:38 pm

booting this over to help, dood. :wink:
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

WDW

Post by WDW » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:43 am

I've 5 Midisport 8x8s and a 2x2 connected to my Mac and running through Cubase with no problems. All 42 ins and 42 outs pop up in my MIDI in/out boxes, and all send/receive signals.

Your problem seems most likely to be either a driver or operator error. Assuming that you are selecting the proper MIDI in/out and that your cables are properly connected and that your device (instrument) is configured and working properly, then driver problem is where to look first.

Cheers.

WD

voicedood

Post by voicedood » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:53 am

Thanks Tallow :wink:

WDW: I intentionally bought the same midiman 4x4 to avoid issues like this, so this is really frustrating. I plugged it in, it asked for driivers, I put in the cd from mine (the second one I got from ebay and didn't come with anything but the interface..) Cubase shows them all as active ports. Like I said, the unit is receiving the signal and the pc knows when I disconnect the unit so...

Oh, and I have nothing against an 8x8 but, ahem, I already bought this other 4x4...

WDW

Post by WDW » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:59 am

I'm sorry that I cannot provide more help.

But that really smells like a driver problem. May not be a fix for it.

Good luck, and, if there is any change, please update us.

Cheers.

WD

vynlOverdrive
Gear: Mesa, Ibanez, Artura, Jackson, Waves, JBL.
Band: sad monster party

Post by vynlOverdrive » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:19 pm

have you tried rebooting? ;)

i'd uninstall and reinstall drivers; from my experience usually 2 of the same thing were meant to both run off of one driver, so installing the 2nd time may have screwed things up.

voicedood

Post by voicedood » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:11 am

Yeah I was wondering if I should have NOT installed them again. I thought of that right after I did it. I'll check M-audio for the drivers and install the latest set. It did tell me one time that it couldn't find a certain file..

If you can believe this, I'm typing this as my MEK lies in the studio. In the box. unopened. Just arrived today and I am so excited! SO I have a feeling I'll be pre-occupied tonight...

rickrhino

Post by rickrhino » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:11 am

Make sure you're not using a USB hub, for some reason hubs are not good for MIDI devices
give it it's own USB port
Also if the 2nd unit is defective tested by swapping it with the first and see if it works as the primary USB MIDI box
mis dos centavos

Roland Juno 60 w/Kenton DCB/MIDI, Novation Basstation R,Ensoniq ESQ1, Yamaha SY85 & PSS-470, RedSound Darkstar v2,,Akai MPC3000, NI Kontakt 3, Arturia's Minimoog V & ARP2600 V, GForce's ImpOscar,Oddity,Minimonsta, WOW TimewArp 2600

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:29 am

You DID install the drivers, I presume? The unit should be detected when you plug in the USB. Then you run the driver setup, and it should detect each of the 4 ports as separate MIDI ports. Hm. Can't say any more than that...

voicedood

Post by voicedood » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:25 pm

Fixed!
Thanks everyone. It was the drivers.
I got the latest-greatest from M-Audio's site and with an install and a reboot I have 8 midi ports.
:D