Need help buying first synth!

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Governyoursoul93

Need help buying first synth!

Post by Governyoursoul93 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:11 am

So Im stuck between a few things right now..Currently just a 16 year old looking to get into making Industrial oriented music or Eletronic music in general. Buying my first synth need some help or suggestions as to what to get.

I have $400 saved my options are to buy something now or save for a month or so to get something else. Im new to synths so I really don't know which is the best choice. Anyway Im debating between the following:

-Nord Lead 2-$600, have an offer worked out

-Access Virus TI-$1,000 yet another offer worked out

-Yamaha AN-1x - $400, have been strongly considering, convenient, at the local GuitarCenter

-Alesis Micron- $400, very confused

-microKorg- It seems overrated

-Korg X-50- Also convenient, tried some of it out...seemed alright

-Yamaha MM6- (see Korg X-50)

..Anyway thats it, thanks for reading.. Help would be much appreciated
Thanks!
-John

thisispainful

Post by thisispainful » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:25 am

the micro korg flat out no.
nord lead cool synth for sure i used it on one album it was great for bass and for lots of old school pads strings and stuff.
i ended up selling it and that was a industrial project. i dunno i usualy had to run it through alot of stomp boxes to make it sound the way i wanted.
the virus well its realy cool but expensive great synth. havent actualy used one.
the micron is pretty cool i have had mine for a while and for the money it is great. you can do some realy hard sounds with it that can be very cool. i like it for scretching out ideas and stuff.
mm6 and x50 personaly i thnk both of them are good and you can do a lot with both of them.
as for wich one on you list would i go for i would say the micron why? it is good for making beats.
its not the most sophisticated nor the best built but for coming up with ideas that can be turned into songs i think its hard to beat for four hundred bucks. plus you would have money left over so you could track down maybe a vintage module or even better yet a emu audity2000 wich often goes for about 200 bucks.
that emu alot of people hate its a rompler sample play back but honestly for industrial music it is pretty damn good.
i used it alot on one of the albums i did with my former band and always got compliments on how good the synth sounds i got from it were.
if you had a micron and a audity2000 you could do tons with it and come up with some pretty intense rythmic patterns using the two together. plus if you wanted you could further mangle the emus sounds through the microns audio imputs.
i dont think you could go wrong with a micron or the nord.
the drum on the nord arent to great but they are somewhat fun you can do some editing with them but you wont be getting a huge earth shaking drum sound.
i would go for the micron and look for a cheap rackmount like the emu i mentioned. get the micron first and see how you work with it.
they are much easier to program with a software editor.

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:31 pm

Now then i know what would be perfect for you....the Korg Wavestation. The Wavestation is one of the best industrial synths around and is extreamly versitile. I strongly suggest you check it out because it kills all this modern stuff. I don't love digital synths but i love the Wavestation. It may be the best synth ever. I have played the X-50 and the Microkorg and was not impressed. Stay away from those two if you wamt to make industrial music.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

psiapir

Post by psiapir » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:16 pm

Let me put smth forward first: if you're looking for a 'first synth', I assume you're not that well acquainted with synthesis whatsoever.. For that reason I'd rather twist your choices and exclude some of them.. So, here's what follows:

Nord Lead - indeed a great synth, but I'm wondering if it's really well suited for you in terms of sound/UI/price...
Virus - for industrial/EBM related genres arguably the best synth sonicwise.... Nice for programming, etc.. Again, mind the price tag :/
An1X - heard demos, really liked its sound (VA that sounds very close to an analog).. Overall very decent synth and price is not daunting...
Micron - NO, too many wreack havoc upon this little beastie. Again, programming sux
MicroKorg - I liked it. Cute synthi, very good sound platform... and guess what - a b***h to play :D ... Hard programming (not many knobbies)
X5 - incarnation of a very decent entry synth/keyb - but no idea if it matches your music-liking with respect to industrial stuff

Now I'll get down to recapitulation of some common trends here... Ensoniq ESQ-1.. 'the industrial synth' as some say, cheap, playable.. but not that fun as Virus, boils down when talking about versatility...
Alpha Juno Roland series - trancey/ambient with some rave/techno inclination.. if that pleases you. They're cheap, fun and quite versatile

According to Analogue Crazy - Wavestation is for some 'the synth'.. Wish to have one someday... but I reckon it's quite bitchy for programming.. And I doubt a good entry-synth as well...
Why don't you drop some more points of reference in terms of what you really need. Soundwise - yep, it's here... But what about programming (accesible parameters?), playability (good keybed/many keys/aftertouch, etc), servicing/maintenance (regards to older stuff if you dare) ..

Cheerio
Roland Alpha Juno 1 | Roland Super JX + pg800

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:00 pm

I don't have experience with all of these synths, so I'll just speak to what I know. The MicroKorg makes some decent sounds, has a vocoder (if you're into that), and is cheap. But if, in addition to just getting into synths, you're also trying to learn how to play a keyboard at the same time, those mini keys that is has could be a serious impediment.

The AN1x was my first synth and I think it was a good choice for a complete beginner. It has full-sized keys (and more of them than the MicroKorg.) Adjusting basic parameters is straightforward enough that you can start tweaking right away and see how various elements effect the sound (without having to understand the physics behind everything.) Beyond that, it's full of complex, non-obvious parameters (the free EG and such) that you can delve into more as you learn. So, you aren't likely to get bored with it after a year or two. I've had mine over 6 years now and I'm still figuring out new things. And for the price they're going for these days, you can't lose

An actual analog (with a knob for each function) is an even better way to learn the basics of synthesis (what Cutoff and Resonance and ADSR controls actually do). Things suddenly made much more sense to me when I got my Prophet 600 (something else that can be had for relatively cheap these days; around $400 the last I looked), but you may not want to deal with the potential unreliability of something vintage right out of the gate. Perhaps for a second synth (because as anyone here will tell you, no-one can stop at just one.)

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:48 am

pricklyrobot wrote: The AN1x was my first synth and I think it was a good choice for a complete beginner. It has full-sized keys (and more of them than the MicroKorg.) Adjusting basic parameters is straightforward enough that you can start tweaking right away and see how various elements effect the sound (without having to understand the physics behind everything.) Beyond that, it's full of complex, non-obvious parameters (the free EG and such) that you can delve into more as you learn. So, you aren't likely to get bored with it after a year or two. I've had mine over 6 years now and I'm still figuring out new things. And for the price they're going for these days, you can't lose
If you get an AN1X try and stretch a little further and get hold of a Doepfer Drehbank. Doepfer have just discontinued them and they're a bargain for what they are. Let me know if you want the preset I've made as it gives you control of almost every parameter in the synth and sequencer. :wink:

Another synth you may want to consider for dark industrial style sounds is a Waldorf Microwave XT.

Governyoursoul93

Post by Governyoursoul93 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:43 am

Sorry for the late reply..

Anyway. I have been checking out all of the gear that everyone has recomended.. Managed to find a WaveStation Ex on eBay. Haven't made a move on it yet though. Not sure how the control on it is. Anyway.. As far as what sounds Im looking for..Im looking for some Aggro/Aggressive stuff..Harsh beats, distortion is great. Anything like that. Looking for something with alot of control over its sounds. (which Im not so sure the WaveStation has, then again.. I don't know)

Governyoursoul93

OK so I think I have made a decision (Micron?)

Post by Governyoursoul93 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:05 am

Alright so I have been reading up and checking out all of the above synths, and am really leaning towards the Micron because of the flexibility of it.
Im looking for a good amount of synth and drum sounds and this seems to have it. For the future, I plan to use more analog-geared synths/drum effects but for right now this seems to somewhat be a good piece to start with. If there is anyone out there with some expeirnce with this, I could really use some personal feedback. I came close to buying a WaveStation from eBay but was not so sure of the sounds, Im sure the synth-y sounds are awesome but I wasn't sure about drums..couldn't find much in the way of samples of it in action.

Anyway, Im basically looking for something that has a good amount of synths and drums on it for a modest price. But if there's anyone out there with some combos of different gear they would recomend I would greatly appreciate some of those recommendations.

Thanks again everybody that has helped.

Governyoursoul93

Re: OK so I think I have made a decision (Micron?)

Post by Governyoursoul93 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:08 am

Governyoursoul93 wrote:Alright so I have been reading up and checking out all of the above synths, and am really leaning towards the Micron because of the flexibility of it.
Im looking for a good amount of synth and drum sounds and this seems to have it. For the future, I plan to use more analog-geared synths/drum effects but for right now this seems to somewhat be a good piece to start with. If there is anyone out there with some expeirnce with this, I could really use some personal feedback. I came close to buying a WaveStation from eBay but was not so sure of the sounds, Im sure the synth-y sounds are awesome but I wasn't sure about drums..couldn't find much in the way of samples of it in action.

Anyway, Im basically looking for something that has a good amount of synths and drums on it for a modest price. But if there's anyone out there with some combos of different gear they would recomend I would greatly appreciate some of those recommendations.

Thanks again everybody that has helped.
I also meant to ask if you think putting the extra $100 out for the Alesis QS.2 61 would be worth it instead of the Micron.

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:56 pm

You don't get any more industrial than a Wavestation. :P
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

OggeOJ

Re: Need help buying first synth!

Post by OggeOJ » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:37 pm

Governyoursoul93 wrote:So Im stuck between a few things right now..Currently just a 16 year old looking to get into making Industrial oriented music or Eletronic music in general. Buying my first synth need some help or suggestions as to what to get.

I have $400 saved my options are to buy something now or save for a month or so to get something else. Im new to synths so I really don't know which is the best choice. Anyway Im debating between the following:

-Nord Lead 2-$600, have an offer worked out

-Access Virus TI-$1,000 yet another offer worked out

-Yamaha AN-1x - $400, have been strongly considering, convenient, at the local GuitarCenter

-Alesis Micron- $400, very confused

-microKorg- It seems overrated

-Korg X-50- Also convenient, tried some of it out...seemed alright

-Yamaha MM6- (see Korg X-50)

..Anyway thats it, thanks for reading.. Help would be much appreciated
Thanks!
-John
If youre new to synths.. well, skip the Nord and the Virus. Too much advanced stuff for a beginner imo.
What i think, is that you try to learn synthesis, via internet, software synth etc. You dont wanna put out that amount of money on something you dont understand, right? ^^

Micro and Microkorg.
Nope, youre just gonna get pissed when you realise that tweaking and editing is more of GYAH. Still, microkorg works for tweaking, and it has a cute vocoder.

Btw, SH-201 is a very nice synth to learn synthesis on. Tried it out myself once.