Siel DK600/Opera 6 ROM dump needed

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Siel DK600/Opera 6 ROM dump needed

Post by adamstan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:34 pm

Hello

It looks like my Opera needs new OS. I have posted about it few months ago, but that post was so old it have disappeared. Maybe in the meantime someone had found these files somewhere?

My synth does two strange things:
- It doesn't respond to Note_Off via MIDI, Note_On works.
- tape input doesn't work, however hardware looks ok, signal is present at approppiate CPU pin. Tape Out works perfectly

So it looks like either CPU or EPROMs start dying. If anybody has working DK600 / Opera 6 / SCI Velocity 6 and can read these eproms and post the files somewhere - please help in restoring this beautiful synth to a fully working condition.

Thanks in advance :-)
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

adamstan
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Fri May 25, 2007 10:41 am

BUMP

I've checked it again searching for eaten tracks, loose connections, non-working port drivers etc, and found nothing. Hardware seems to be OK. It just completely ignores NoteOff messages - and that looks like a software bug to me. So I need these rom files really badly. The only other way would be debugging existing software (I have a CPU datasheet with instructions set and memory map), but I'm afraid that it would make me insane...

Spav
Gear: Live Rig: | Kurzweil K2500 +KDFX | Korg Trition Classic | Roland KC550 |
Band: From Dusk 'til Dawn

Re: Siel DK600/Opera 6 ROM dump needed

Post by Spav » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:39 pm

If you are still looking I will try to get a dump from my gear once it is up and running again.
Kurzweil K2500X +KDFX & K2500RS +KDFX | Korg Triton Pro & Triton Rack | Siel Opera6 & Expander | Boss BX-60 | Tascam US-1641 | Edirol UM550 | Sonar 8.5 Producer | Stageline PPA-100 | Roland KC350 & KC300
http://www.keyparts.co.uk

adamstan
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:03 am

Spav wrote:If you are still looking I will try to get a dump from my gear once it is up and running again.
Yes, I'm still loooking for it. Thanks in advance :-)

BTW In the meantime I've "solved" the problem with NoteOff. It wasn't bug - the synth just doesn't recognize NoteOn messages with Velocity=0 as NoteOff (and, to my surprise, even DX7IIFD transmits this way).

After replacing one chip tape input started to work as well.

But ROM Image would still be nice thing to have, as I want to figure out how the TMS3631 DCO's are driven, in order to make my own CPU retrofit for SIEL, adding full MIDI functionality (knobs sending and receiving CC) and, maybe, oscillator sync (like in JX3P).

Spav

Post by Spav » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:22 am

I have pulled the ROM's from my Opera 6 and I have done a disassembly of some of the code, the version of code that I have (a MKIII O6) does support NOTE ON ZERO as NOTE OFF, so I guess you machine os a MKI or MKII. There is no support for turning OMNI mode off in the code. I will check the binaries against the two ROM's I found on the web and will post them once I have worked out which is the latest version.
Kurzweil K2500X +KDFX & K2500RS +KDFX | Korg Triton Pro & Triton Rack | Siel Opera6 & Expander | Boss BX-60 | Tascam US-1641 | Edirol UM550 | Sonar 8.5 Producer | Stageline PPA-100 | Roland KC350 & KC300

adamstan
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:44 am

I have disassembled the images from sounddoctorin, and figured out how to drive DCO's. I haven't checked MIDI routines yet.
I will check the binaries against the two ROM's I found on the web and will post them once I have worked out which is the latest version.
That would be really nice :-)

Now I'm going to adapt my polysynth software for running with SIEL. The problem is, I can't find DIL40 60mil connector for ribbon cable to make CPU adapter.

And I still don't know how tape patch dump is handled.

Spav

Post by Spav » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:03 pm

adamstan wrote:And I still don't know how tape patch dump is handled
I would abandon the tape interface and use Sysex, but for your information, every where the tape switch is read (which is all over the code) if the tape switch is closed the CPU reset code is called, this then checks the swicth again to make sure it is still closed and then starts the tape handling. I have not looked into the actual operation of the tape code as I will leave it as is in any mods I do, relying on sysex to provide the save/load functions.