Korg Poly 800 / Poly-800 Wrong Key

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
duval

Korg Poly 800 / Poly-800 Wrong Key

Post by duval » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:37 am

Hi guys... I'm a complete newbie to synths and I just bought myself a Korg Poly 800 Mk 1 on eBay. I've been playing it through headphones so far only and it sounds fine (no factory presets though, just my own creations). The problem is that when I play a C on the Korg, this is actually a concert E (an E on a piano) The tuning slide and pitch bend stick are both centered, so it's not this. I've heard people talking about problems with internal batteries, but I've also heard people say that the Mk 1 doesn't have an internal battery...what's the problem?!
Thanks,
D

DX

Post by DX » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:45 am

Hi.
If the "out of tune" is continously on the whole keyboard (C is an E, D is a F, like a transposed keyboard) try to tweak the Tune slider from one side to another until you get the right tune. If it is still not reached, there must be an internal problem. Maybe it requires from a tune adjust, maybe some major problem.
If the problem is just only C notes are transposed, I guess some keyboard scan problem.

Regarding internal batt, some MK1 models have it..

Let us know.
Roland Promars, E-mu EMAX and some other machines...

Analog Freak

Post by Analog Freak » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:25 am

Does this happen up the entire scale? I.E. does an F sound as an A? If so you just have the entire keyboard transposed up by a third. I don't know exactly how to transpose a Korg Poly 800, but it should be in the manual.
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.

duval

Post by duval » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:31 pm

Hi there and thanks for the responses...the entire keyboard is transposed. There does not seem to be an external transposer to do this with...the manual does not make any mention of this. As regards the battery, I think I must have one because the keyboard remembers my patches despite not having the large cell batteries. Any more ideas, or is this one for the repair shop?

dougt
No Longer Registered

Post by dougt » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:16 pm

it could be the joystick. It can get out of adjustment so the center position is not really center... Can you move the stick so that C is a C?

duval

Post by duval » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:52 pm

yes I can...is there any way to reset it?

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:19 pm

Before you do anything drastic make sure that you are not hearing a detuned OSC 2. Check that parameters 31 and 32 are set to zero. This will result in both OSC 1 and OSC 2 playing the same note. Or you could just turn OSC 2 off by setting parameter 18 to 1 and parameter 17 to something greater than 0.

duval

Post by duval » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:25 pm

It is not the second DCO as even on patches where I am just using the one it is out.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:19 pm

might be an internal trimmer. I'll have a look later at the schems.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:57 am

B****cks! I just got one of these and it's doing the exact same thing. In fact it's probably the same bloody one as it's got a sticker on the bottom from 'Edinburgh Organ Centre'.

Anyone got any ideas? I suppose I'll have a look inside, see if there's an obvious trim control. I'm waiting for the guy I bought it off to get back to me.

F***!

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:49 pm

masstronaut wrote:B****cks! I just got one of these and it's doing the exact same thing. In fact it's probably the same bloody one as it's got a sticker on the bottom from 'Edinburgh Organ Centre'.

Anyone got any ideas? I suppose I'll have a look inside, see if there's an obvious trim control. I'm waiting for the guy I bought it off to get back to me.

F***!
Don't touch the internal trim pots if you don't have the factory schematic and an oscilloscope or a multimeter that reads audio frequencies. The trouble is that there are several trimpots and adjusting one affects the others. You could throw the whole thing out of whack.

I have an EX-800 (Poly800 module) and it has a great big tuning knob on the top. I just connect the output to a guitar tuner and go - very easy. I know that the Poly800 is different, but I would think that it has an external tuning control somewhere.