Opinions on these external analogue filter units?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Soundwave

Opinions on these external analogue filter units?

Post by Soundwave » Fri May 11, 2007 2:34 pm

Does anyone own and/or have any opinions on these external analogue filter units?

AS Filtered Coffee
MAM Warp 9
Fat THC Resinator (or MAM)
Sherman 1&2
Mutronics Mutator

Does anyone know of any other decent external filter units out there too?
:)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri May 11, 2007 3:22 pm

Frostwave Resonator is awesome, as it the DSI Evolver.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Fri May 11, 2007 3:25 pm

of that list I have only experienced the sherman filter......I love it but I also love my Moog MURF(is the code for a woman snatch). The price up pay ffor a maxon/ibanez auto-filter gives you a lot of fun
Last edited by wiss on Fri May 11, 2007 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

yburn

Post by yburn » Fri May 11, 2007 3:26 pm

they are all good but completely different. abouth the only thing they have in common is that they all reduce frequency content. The AS, Sherman and Mutronics units have lots of mod options. The Sherman is EVIL! no good for house filter sweeps but excellent at screwing audio up especially if you have some CV gear to interface with. The Mutronics is really sweet, iand has some excellent mod options for boucing resonant effects. Worth pointing out that the Sherman is 24bd mono or 12db stereo whereas the Mutronics is 24DB stereo (I think..?) I haven't played with the others although I've heard a Warp 9 and licked it. Its based on the EDP Wasp filter and again isn't ideal for simple disco filter sweeps, it does come out with some nice resonant warbling. Get them all :D
Last edited by yburn on Fri May 11, 2007 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Fri May 11, 2007 3:27 pm

jomox resonator

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Fri May 11, 2007 3:46 pm

yburn wrote:they are all good but completely different. abouth the only thing they have in common is that they all reduce frequency content. The AS, Sherman and Mutronics units have lots of mod options. The Sherman is EVIL! no good for house filter sweeps but excellent at screwing audio up especially if you have some CV gear to interface with. The Mutronics is really sweet, iand has some excellent mod options for boucing resonant effects. Worth pointing out that the Sherman is 24bd mono or 12db stereo whereas the Mutronics is 24DB stereo (I think..?) I haven't played with the others although I've heard a Warp 9 and licked it. Its based on the EDP Wasp filter and again isn't ideal for simple disco filter sweeps, it does come out with some nice resonant warbling. Get them all :D
The Sherman is 12db mono dude unless you get one of those twin units. I almost got one but I got sick of Turnkey messing me about (waiting since December) so I'm getting a Revolution instead.

Anyone have the Filtered Coffee? Does it really compare with an MS20?

phloem

Post by phloem » Fri May 11, 2007 4:34 pm

The Resonator sounds great.
Moogerfoogers are nice.
The Sherman can sound clean, but it's easier and more fun to make it sound dirty.
Mutator uses a SSM2045 filter chip. Smooth sound.
The Sebatron Copernicus never got any press. I wonder if that one sounds good?

All these boxes are very nice, but I sold all my standalone filter boxes (except the Sherman) in favor of modular filters. The modular world is really where it's at with different filter types.

pworks

Post by pworks » Fri May 11, 2007 4:38 pm

this is perfect i was gonna ask the same question
also does anyone have Electrix Filter Factory?
how does it compare to the sherman?
sorry if this is a stupid nube?

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri May 11, 2007 4:54 pm

yburn wrote: The Sherman is EVIL! no good for house filter sweeps but excellent at screwing audio up especially if you have some CV gear to interface with. Get them all :D
I love it's filter sweeps, especially with house music. I understand you're judging it against it's willingness to distort....i compress the signal a little and keep the Sherman's gain below 3 and it stays clean and juicy.

example:
http://www.awrongturn.com/houseloopSHORT.mp3
Soundwave wrote: The Sherman is 12db mono dude unless you get one of those twin units.
Sync 1 setting cascades both filters into a single 24 dB/oct signal, without the need for 2 units. Stereo 24 dB/oct does require the dual setup.

All that said, I'd add the Schippman Ebbe und Flut to (probably beat everything on) this list, except it is prohibitively expensive...
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Fri May 11, 2007 5:14 pm

yburn wrote:I've heard a Warp 9 and licked it.
Hmm, have not tried licking my warp 9 but it's worth I try I guess. :D

The warp 9 is a very flexible filter, not so good for sweeps like was mentioned but excellent trigger options, superb midi control (Knobs send and receive midi) so the sonic capabilities are really broad

yburn

Post by yburn » Fri May 11, 2007 5:16 pm

do you use midi to trigger it instead of the audio triggers? I find the audio trigger distorts as soon as it starts. I've played with the AR to make it as smooth as poss.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Fri May 11, 2007 5:39 pm

Yeah, I use midi for triggers. I use it alot for drums so i'll trigger the env the same time as the trigger goes to the note and then just fine tune it. Using the audio trigger didnt seem to work that great so I really have not use that feature too much

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Fri May 11, 2007 5:49 pm

The Electrix Filter Queen is rather tame (I'd say boring); I had it for a month and sold it.
The AS FC is a nice unit, it has a lot of character whilst preserving the details of the sound you're feeding into it.

The Sherman FB is fantastic. Yes, you can use it to wreck a sound, but if you learn how it works, you can do all sorts of things with it. And, for the record: The FB is 2 12dB multimode filters which can be parallel, serial (for 24dB) or anything in-between. It's not stereo, although it does have a separate out for each filter.
virb.com/ookpikk

aeon

Re: Opinions on these external analogue filter units?

Post by aeon » Fri May 11, 2007 7:27 pm

Soundwave wrote:Does anyone know of any other decent external filter units out there too?
:)
As far as decent goes, I like the Moog MuRF, Lovetone Meatball, and Schippmann Ebbe und Flut.

cheers,
Ian