Boss MetalZone

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
MrFrodo

Boss MetalZone

Post by MrFrodo » Fri May 11, 2007 10:15 pm

Out of curiosity, do any of you run your gear through a Boss MetalZone? I must say, I wish that was one of the emulations in my Line6 set-up. One of the best stompbox distortion generators I've had the pleasure to use. What about some of you?
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Fri May 11, 2007 10:18 pm

I love it for distorting hi-hats. Can make even a DDD-1 sound great.

I prefer the Mega Distortion for synths these days.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Fri May 11, 2007 10:32 pm

belinda butcher of my bloody valentine used the metal zone........enough said

i perfer my Fender Blender though....
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Fri May 11, 2007 10:38 pm

i use mine for guitar occasionally, and to wreck drum samples. running a clap thru it gives you that delightful "PAHW!" sound. i find it a little hard to tame when i just want to dirty up a nice synth kick drum, but it can do that too. i don't generally run my synths thru it, but i have in the past and it was as nuts as you'd guess.

synthetic88

Post by synthetic88 » Sat May 12, 2007 1:16 am

I like the orange DS-1 better. The Metal Zone is noisy and noisy, if you get my meaning. You can pick up a DS-1 for $60, it's a lot of fun.
Andromeda • Voyager • Super Jupiter + Programmer • TX-802 • Two GigaStudio PCs
http://www.jefflaity.com/studio

Sweetnothing

Post by Sweetnothing » Sat May 12, 2007 1:23 am

I prefer lower gained distortions, it gives me a broader palette, and the metal zone sounds brittle and too much distorted to my ears.

There was a debate at line6 forums discussing the metal zone emulation on a new revision of the metal pack for the Xt range...but seriously, in a guitar context, if you base your sound around a metal zone it will kill any character the guitar or amp could have, I've used it as a boost on a mesa boogie triple rectifier and well, some ppl like it, some not.

Back on topic again, for destroying sounds, I prefer the fuzz emulations on the pod or the trusty Boss Hyper Fuzz, but maybe the metal Zone can add some high end you'd need for some sounds.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat May 12, 2007 3:47 am

I prefer the sound of the HM-2 Heavy Metal to the Metal Zone. They can be had really cheap on the second hand market, no reason not to get one.

We've run lots of drums through it and then mixed them back in with the clean signal, also the Juno used to go through it when we played live. It's great to have lots of pedals lying around the studio for a bit of extra inspiration.

Other favourites are the Hot Cake, Big Muff, Sonic Alienator, Danelectro Reel Echo, Octaver and surprisingly enough the Behringer Digital Delay. I wish I had a Rat though, will have to get one some time.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by wiss » Sat May 12, 2007 4:41 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I prefer the sound of the HM-2 Heavy Metal to the Metal Zone. They can be had really cheap on the second hand market, no reason not to get one.

We've run lots of drums through it and then mixed them back in with the clean signal, also the Juno used to go through it when we played live. It's great to have lots of pedals lying around the studio for a bit of extra inspiration.

Other favourites are the Hot Cake, Big Muff, Sonic Alienator, Danelectro Reel Echo, Octaver and surprisingly enough the Behringer Digital Delay. I wish I had a Rat though, will have to get one some time.

you have to get an early rat, the new ones suck..
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat May 12, 2007 5:08 am

wiss wrote:you have to get an early rat, the new ones suck..
Ah cool, thanks for the heads up. Any way to tell it's an early one, made in a different country, different shape or something?

thisispainful

Post by thisispainful » Sat May 12, 2007 5:17 am

yes i love mine.
and i have used it on all kinds of stuff in past.
in fact i have a lot of distortion pedals. i like using them on different sound sources.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by wiss » Sat May 12, 2007 5:56 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
wiss wrote:you have to get an early rat, the new ones suck..
Ah cool, thanks for the heads up. Any way to tell it's an early one, made in a different country, different shape or something?
it wont be the vintage rat, rat pro, super rat, rat2 or the 30 different types of rats

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sat May 12, 2007 7:01 am

I think it's great for a long decay bass drum. With synths it's a bit overkill but that can be good sometimes :wink:
What happens at fondue stays at fondue!

Spike Vincent
Location: People's Republic of The Forest of Dean,and why isn't there a Welsh flag option?Eh?

Post by Spike Vincent » Sat May 12, 2007 11:45 pm

Big Muff for me.
Currently plugged in to the mixer :
Korg EA1,Korg MS10 and some shortwave radios.

erik-o

Post by erik-o » Fri May 18, 2007 5:12 am

I like using an Ibanez Tubescreamer with a noise reduction mod to give just the right amount of gain for menacing strings without adding too much hiss.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by wiss » Fri May 18, 2007 6:09 am

with the fender blender....I have compression and eq pedals right after it to tame it a bit....
Last edited by wiss on Fri May 18, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.