Suggestions on cases / boards for transporting desktop gear

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Suggestions on cases / boards for transporting desktop gear

Post by space6oy » Wed May 16, 2007 3:26 am

trying to clean up my mess of drum machines and such, getting ready to start using at least a few of them in a setup for live performances. anyone have any suggestions on cases or boards? i'm hoping to be able to put one rig on a stand, open it up and already have a few pieces of gear hooked up in it - sort of like a pedalboard scenario, though most of those i've checked out are too small to be fitting bulky gear like this. a flight case situation would be great too, but i haven't found any that have rearrangable foam or anything like that. i'm sure having one custom made is a possibility, but that would suck because i know i'd want to switch around gear and rearrange things right after that. i've built my own pedalboards before, but i'm no pro and would not be thrilled by strapping desktop gear down the way i have with pedals.

so, if anybody has suggestions on how they're simplifying transportation and setup of a bunch of desktop gear, bring 'em on.

metrosonus

Post by metrosonus » Wed May 16, 2007 3:39 am

Since I work in audio visual, Ive found that digital (LCD) projector cases make excellent gear bags, and the hard ones are just the right size for desktop modules, drum machines ect. Try ebay, you can msot likely get them real cheap..

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Wed May 16, 2007 3:49 am

projector cases are probably about the size of a single turntable case, aren't they? probably only be able to fit one piece of gear in each. DJ cases for two turntables and a mixer would be a possibility, but i don't think there's often adjustable partitions to them for securing different sized gear.

ewblank

Post by ewblank » Wed May 16, 2007 2:21 pm

This may or may not work for you based on the height of your gear, but for the past couple of years I've done shows with all my gear (mixer, grooveboxes, samplers, multi-FX) mounted into modified guitar cases. All of that gear is pretty flat, though - so If any of your equipment is higher than 2-3 inches (like a DJ mixer), it might not work for you. Either way, here's what I did:

- Bought a couple of used, hardshell guitar cases
- Ripped out the sections for holding straps, etc... so I had a big rectangular box.
- Replaced the hinges with ones that have a removable pin, so I could remove the entire lid.
- Velcro'd the bottom of all my gear (velcro works very well on the plush liners unside guitar cases, btw) to the case
- Glued some extra foam into the lid - over the gear that was thinner/heavier to keep it all in place during transport

That's it - total cost was around $40 per case.

Hope that was helpful.

ew
Synths and gear I own: Juno-6, Moog Rouge, Yamaha FB-01, Boss DR-110 & TR-505, Casio SK-1, Yamaha AN200, Roland D2, Korg ER-1, various mini-kybds and home-made circuit bent thingies.

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Wed May 16, 2007 5:31 pm

that's actually not a bad idea at all...i'll have to check out some cheap guitar cases.
removing that storage box that goes under the neck would probably be the only awkward part, though you're right it might not be deep enough, i'm looking to pack my 909 into this and it's just over 4" tall.

also thanks to whoever shoved this into the help section, i should've thought of that. sorry.

Angstwulf

Post by Angstwulf » Thu May 17, 2007 1:08 am

If you need to cut arrangeable foam inserts and don't want to pay what they ask at camera shops you could buy a piece of high density foam from a furniture re-upholstery shop. I have taken 3 to 4 inch thick strips of the foam (choose the firmest available) and cut them to fit hard cases.

If you go this route, however, I would recommend that you either have your dimensions ahead of time and have the shop trim them to size or make sure that you have a good quality table saw or a very sharp handsaw/razor blade that will let you cut clean. If you are sloppy, the rough edges left will flake and leave you with dust in your case.

Alternatively, you should cover the foam pieces with a soft cloth such as felt before fitting them into the case.

I actually feel more confident with the chair foam than with some of the cheaper camera case foam inserts that I've used.

Dr. Sound

Post by Dr. Sound » Thu May 17, 2007 6:33 am

usplastics.com has a variety of cases

add foam and you can transport anything

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Thu May 17, 2007 6:58 am

that address is giving a "Directory Listing Denied" error.
just a typo, or is it down right now?

ewblank

Post by ewblank » Thu May 17, 2007 1:48 pm

2 more suggestions:

If your 909 is too high to fit into a guitar case - you can probably find a hardshell keyboard case that would work - but one of those will run you around $100

If money is no object, you can look into Pelican cases: http://pelican.com

I use these for work equipment - but they're just too expensive for "personal" use.

cheers,
ew
Synths and gear I own: Juno-6, Moog Rouge, Yamaha FB-01, Boss DR-110 & TR-505, Casio SK-1, Yamaha AN200, Roland D2, Korg ER-1, various mini-kybds and home-made circuit bent thingies.

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Thu May 17, 2007 4:48 pm

those pelican cases are nice, but they probably do cost a fortune...
gun cases for drum machines is amusing.

nevermind about the typo question, just an extra S.
pretty sure you meant usplastic.com, will check out that stuff too.

i'm wishing i could find someone who did cases that had foam inserts that were already semi-cut into a grid of little cubes so you could just pull out the ones necessary to make room for whatever you're wanting to put in. that make sense? odd to verbalize...

ewblank

Post by ewblank » Thu May 17, 2007 5:51 pm

That's exactly the kind of foam that comes in the pelican cases. I know they sell the foam separately too, but like the cases, it's pretty pricey.

ew

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Thu May 17, 2007 6:05 pm

mind if i ask where you're purchasing the pelican gear? their online sales page is only for registered business partners. i'm not finding anything on their site about retail carriers.

ewblank

Post by ewblank » Thu May 17, 2007 9:27 pm

I don't have a company name, and since was our purchasing guy who took care of it, and I feel bad making the poor guy dig through 2 year old POs for personal stuff since he's kind of overloaded as it is. Plus, it was a local company in Montreal, so they wouldn't be much use to you either.

However, here's what I can suggest:

Pelican doesn't deal direct unless you buy large quantities, but you can email them and ask for the names of their distributors in your city, then contact them.

Also - you can try professional photography stores in your area - I know one of the pro camera shops in Montreal carries Pelican cases, so if there's a pro shop in your area that also carries them, they can probably special order the foam for you.

Hope this helps.

ew

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Thu May 17, 2007 9:30 pm

interesting. there's a photo shop about 3 blocks from my place, i'll see if they have anything like that. i'd actually just like to find the foam and use it in a less expensive case.

thanks again.