Badalamenti's sounds for Yamaha dx-7

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
lemony

Badalamenti's sounds for Yamaha dx-7

Post by lemony » Wed May 16, 2007 10:03 pm

Help!!!!
I'm trying to find for my Yamaha dx-7 some good banks of sounds like Angelo Badalamenti's soundtracks(somenthing like Twin Peaks or Mullholland Drive..).
I'd like to buy Jx-8p for this reason but at the moment money is a big problem :cry:
So any chance with my Yamaha dx-7???
Thanks!!!

hearttimes
No Longer Registered

Post by hearttimes » Thu May 17, 2007 4:18 am

I have had the great fortune in my life to work with Angelo and David Lynch on many occasions. I played on Twin Peaks as well. Angelo is a musical genius with an excellent sense for synths. David, as well, is a big keyboard fan. (He's got a great Rhodes and a FULL recording studio.)

The pad sound you're describing was more often than not a Korg 01/w.

You should be able to come pretty close on your dx7 if you take a fairly warm string pad, roll off the high end using filtering or eq, soak it in verb. After that you should be well on your way.

Best wishes with your projects.

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Thu May 17, 2007 5:58 am

hearttimes wrote:I have had the great fortune in my life to work with Angelo and David Lynch on many occasions. I played on Twin Peaks as well. Angelo is a musical genius with an excellent sense for synths. David, as well, is a big keyboard fan. (He's got a great Rhodes and a FULL recording studio.)

You should be able to come pretty close on your dx7 if you take a fairly warm string pad, roll off the high end using filtering or eq, soak it in verb. After that you should be well on your way.

Hi Hearttimes, i have just finished seeing chapter 19 of Twin Peaks (i have benn wathcing the whole series las weeks) and everyone that contributed to that series has to be reconginzed, so hurray for you!
mis psiquicos y yo
In electronic music, sequencers are as important as synths, they all modify your composition and playing

stalla
Gear: CS80, CP70, Eminent U310 and more...

Post by stalla » Thu May 17, 2007 8:52 am

It's nice to hear people like hearttimes involved in the production of famous tracks :D
I could play the twin peaks pad on my jx8p (sold). Was it a jx8p on the soundtrack ?
I'm very curious about the David Lynch studio & instruments...
( btw there is an David Lynch exhibition at the Cartier fondation in Paris now, I'll go probably this w-e )
In a synthetic mood

lemony

Post by lemony » Thu May 17, 2007 11:30 am

The main theme of Mulholland drive is one of my favourite songs!!!The synth used is WONDERFUL!!!
I've heard some sounds from Jx-8p and they're really close to what i'm looking for...I hope my dx7'll be good for my project..maybe it's too much metallic.. :cry:
I'm very curious about the David Lynch studio & instruments too!!!!

ewblank

Post by ewblank » Thu May 17, 2007 12:42 pm

hearttimes wrote:I have had the great fortune in my life to work with Angelo and David Lynch on many occasions. I played on Twin Peaks as well. Angelo is a musical genius with an excellent sense for synths. David, as well, is a big keyboard fan. (He's got a great Rhodes and a FULL recording studio.)
You are one lucky, lucky man. David Lynch is one of the few directors (the only other one I can think of is John Carpenter) who really takes a hands-on approach to the music/sound design in their films.

Speaking of which, I saw Lynch's Inland Empire last week, and I was blown away by the sound track, and then in the credits saw that David Lynch had done the sound design himself. Ther are some really brilliant moments where he filters/EQs the music into lower frequencies and then brings the higher frequencies in slowly - it's such a cool effect. I made a mental note to try that out myself one day.

cheers,
ew

PS - everyone should see Inland Empire - it shows just how great a movie shot on consumer-level DV can be in the right hands.
Synths and gear I own: Juno-6, Moog Rouge, Yamaha FB-01, Boss DR-110 & TR-505, Casio SK-1, Yamaha AN200, Roland D2, Korg ER-1, various mini-kybds and home-made circuit bent thingies.

hearttimes
No Longer Registered

Post by hearttimes » Thu May 17, 2007 3:42 pm

and don't forget to check out julee cruise, produced and written by david and angelo. that's where a lot of the theme music comes from. so great.

and to see more of david's FIERCE sound design work see The Elephant Man.

ewblank

Post by ewblank » Thu May 17, 2007 4:26 pm

Damn - I've never seen The Elephant Man, and I just missed a chance to see it on the big screen. Our local rep cinema was running a Lynch retrospective that ends tonight.

I guess there's always DVD.

cheers,
ew

PS - the whole Julie Cruise/Badalamenti/Lynch combo is fully responsible for my love of reverb!
Synths and gear I own: Juno-6, Moog Rouge, Yamaha FB-01, Boss DR-110 & TR-505, Casio SK-1, Yamaha AN200, Roland D2, Korg ER-1, various mini-kybds and home-made circuit bent thingies.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu May 17, 2007 7:08 pm

hmm...I've to admit I'm a lttle bit confused now

This is what I've been told by Kinny Landrum, the guy who actually played all the synths on "Twin Peaks":

"While it's true that Angelo did use the Korg 01 Analog
String Pad" sound a lot (like on The Actor's Studio theme for instance),
he didn't use it on "Twin Peaks". I did virtually all the playing on
"Twin Peaks" and yes, I used both a D550 String sound and a MKS-70 of my own devising to do the string patches (angelo never liked sampled
strings). I did use a T8 as my master keyboard, and sometimes used it for string patches, but not much. Just to set the record straight..."

so who are you if you aren't Kinny Landrum?

Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

hearttimes
No Longer Registered

Post by hearttimes » Thu May 17, 2007 10:41 pm

my name is bobby woods and i played on some incidental music on twin peaks, (it's true, kinny l. did almost all of it, and a damn great job of it!)

david's wife mary, the producer and editor, often asked to hear things.

i also played on several commercials for david and angelo (mostly dreamy synth music for perfumes) including calvin klein's obsession and yves saint laurent, as well as on soundtrack pieces of wild at heart and a short film david did called cowboy and the frenchman.

i did not mean to imply i played the julee cruise synth (which is what the theme is from), that was before my time. (damn it!) but it was angelo who told me it was an 01, and i believe it is. in any case, david keeps an 01 in his studio now.

i meant to say that i'm damn lucky to have worked with them, that was my point.

i can understand your doubt.

by the way, back to the subject of sound design, david draws a fine line between music and sound, keyboardists are expected to have an fx arsenal as well.

one day on the way to the session he called me on my cell and said, "now, bobby, i'm going to need the sound of a saxophone blowing great chunks of plastic! do you have that?"

that still makes me laugh.

i'm also proud to say that david is a fan of my band, "les deux love orchestra"

our next record will carry the credit "additional synthesizer programming by angelo badalementi" because he helped me with some sounds, over email!

check it out

best wishes

hearttimes
No Longer Registered

Post by hearttimes » Thu May 17, 2007 11:29 pm

also here's something you guys might get a kick out of. it's the score from one of the sessions we worked on.

http://www.hearttimescoffeecup.com/imag ... hscore.jpg

lemony

Post by lemony » Thu May 17, 2007 11:52 pm

hearttimes wrote:my name is bobby woods and i played on some incidental music on twin peaks, (it's true, kinny l. did almost all of it, and a damn great job of it!)

david's wife mary, the producer and editor, often asked to hear things.

i also played on several commercials for david and angelo (mostly dreamy synth music for perfumes) including calvin klein's obsession and yves saint laurent, as well as on soundtrack pieces of wild at heart and a short film david did called cowboy and the frenchman.

i did not mean to imply i played the julee cruise synth (which is what the theme is from), that was before my time. (damn it!) but it was angelo who told me it was an 01, and i believe it is. in any case, david keeps an 01 in his studio now.

i meant to say that i'm damn lucky to have worked with them, that was my point.

i can understand your doubt.

by the way, back to the subject of sound design, david draws a fine line between music and sound, keyboardists are expected to have an fx arsenal as well.

one day on the way to the session he called me on my cell and said, "now, bobby, i'm going to need the sound of a saxophone blowing great chunks of plastic! do you have that?"

that still makes me laugh.

i'm also proud to say that david is a fan of my band, "les deux love orchestra"

our next record will carry the credit "additional synthesizer programming by angelo badalementi" because he helped me with some sounds, over email!

check it out

best wishes
UAUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock:
What lucky man!!!
Here in italy(i live near milan)we say...FORTUNATISSIMO!!!!

p.s. I also loved Inland Empire soundtrack!!!Really amazing!!!I hope it'll be released soon!!!
One last question...What is a good synth for those sounds???I'm working on my dx-7 but the results aren't so good...

hearttimes
No Longer Registered

Post by hearttimes » Fri May 18, 2007 12:10 am

if you're after that sound you can't lose with a korg 01/w. molto eccellente!

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri May 18, 2007 12:34 am

Thanks for clarifying, Bobby

I see what you mean now and I believe you :)

Not that it matter that much but I'm suspecting that Angelo meant that he used the Korg 01 on the feature film follow-up "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me" which premiered in the summer of 1992.
Seeing as the original series ran from april 1990 to june 1991 I kind of doubt he could have used the 01 for that soundtrack for the simple fact that it wasn't released to the market until Aug or Sept of that year...oh well.

Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

dougt
No Longer Registered

Post by dougt » Fri May 18, 2007 2:40 am

Yep the original TV series was MKS-70. Very easy to recreate those strings if you have one...

What I've always wondered is if Moby paid Angelo anything for ripping off the string motif for "Go"...