What's wrong with my CZ-101!!??

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

What's wrong with my CZ-101!!??

Postby Tyler2000 » Fri May 25, 2007 7:47 am

I just played a show and when I brought it home and hooked it up, not 2 hours later, it wouldn't turn on. I tried two different power supplies since the one I've been using is kind of sketchy. No luck. When I hit the power the LEDs will light for a split second, but that's all. The backup battery may have been dying before because it's lost my patches before, but I keep it plugged in all the time. I just don't know what the h**l the problem is. It worked flawlessly durning the show. Maybe the power jack is loose? It feels a bit loose, but how could it have gotten looser between playing the show and going home. Grrr. I'm gona kill myself if it's actually broken.
PLEASE HELP.
-tyler
so what do I put down here now?
Tyler2000

Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Postby Moogalistic » Fri May 25, 2007 10:14 am

HI,

Are you able to put some batteries in and see if it powers up that way. the CZ101 does run on batteries doesnt it?. i had one but that was almost 20 years ago! i do remember that my power jack became slightly detatched from the circuit board, but batteries should prove that

good luck
Moogalistic

Postby DX » Fri May 25, 2007 10:29 am

You should check the APO circuit and the main switch.
When I bought my CZ1000, main swich was dirty and synth tended to do strange things.

APO turns off the keyboard after a while without being played. If it is damaged, then some problems could happen.
Roland Promars, E-mu EMAX and some other machines...
DX

Postby madtheory » Fri May 25, 2007 10:32 am

CZ-101s have various power supply issues, because of the auto power off and the batteries. The socket is soldered to the board so is easily damaged. Using a dodgy PSU doesn't help- you may have damaged one of the many components in the PSU section.

Fairly easy to repair if you know a decent tech. Cheap to replace too. I got my CZ-1 for less than what I originally payed for the 101.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby Tyler2000 » Fri May 25, 2007 2:33 pm

I'll check the looseness of the jack on the inside. The funny thing is, I don't think my cz HAS a power off. I've left it on for quite a while before, and if the button is pressed in the keyboard is on. I popped my battery compartment open, but it apears to be messed up. I'll try putting batt.s in later, but if it doesn't work I can pop it open and attach an external to the battery compartments leads.
Tyler2000

Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Fri May 25, 2007 3:36 pm

I hate to say this, but do make sure you've got your voltage, AC or DC and mw correct, too. Easy way to fry ANY piece of gear is to hook up the wrong adapter to it, you know?

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!
Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby minime123 » Fri May 25, 2007 3:48 pm

so you say the original power supply was unreliable....
i think the replacement power supplies you're using just arent fitting tightly enough. first plug it in and push the connector side of the power supply plug down and see if that helps.
or bring it to radio shack and check it with one of their power supplies and plug adapters.
i believe the specs are
9 volt DC. negative tip. 850 mA.
good luck!
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com
minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby translucencecs » Fri May 25, 2007 3:52 pm

minime123 wrote:i believe the specs are
9 volt DC. negative tip. 850 mA.

Sounds about right, but definitely double- and triple-check that, because a lot of the Casio minikeys are actually 7.5V DC, rather than 9.

In agreement with others above, I reckon the first thing to do would be to try it out with batteries.
translucencecs

Gear: In a transitional phase, so only:
Yamaha SY-22
Roland MC-09
Roland M-VS1
Zoom ST-224
Dubreq Stylophone
Fostex MR8

Postby Alex E » Fri May 25, 2007 6:23 pm

My casio CZ-1000 can't work with any AC adptor other than the Casio AD-5U. Maybe its the same with the CZ-101. Also, I'm pretty sure the user-programmable patches are held with the regular batteries you can put into the board.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: JP-8080, Virus C, Sidstation, Nord Lead 3, XP-60, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Postby Tyler2000 » Sat May 26, 2007 1:02 am

Alex E wrote:My casio CZ-1000 can't work with any AC adptor other than the Casio AD-5U. Maybe its the same with the CZ-101. Also, I'm pretty sure the user-programmable patches are held with the regular batteries you can put into the board.

I've never had an original power supply for it. It came with an emmerson power supply, which only sketchy becasue it's case is being held shut with electrical tape. I tested it with a multi-power supply so it should have been fine. I've never put batteries in it before, so that doesn't sound right.

I need to buy to some "d" cells before I can test it. God, I hope it's okay.
Tyler2000

Postby AstroDan » Sat May 26, 2007 1:26 am

I would bet anything it's a loose power jack. Just hold it at an angle where it stays on - then wiggle to see if it dies.

Mine was like that. I remember it didn't look easy to repair or rig up myself, but any capable tech should be able to.
Too futurist to live.
AstroDan

Postby Alex E » Sat May 26, 2007 4:53 am

Tyler2000 wrote:
Alex E wrote:My casio CZ-1000 can't work with any AC adptor other than the Casio AD-5U. Maybe its the same with the CZ-101. Also, I'm pretty sure the user-programmable patches are held with the regular batteries you can put into the board.

I've never had an original power supply for it. It came with an emmerson power supply, which only sketchy becasue it's case is being held shut with electrical tape. I tested it with a multi-power supply so it should have been fine. I've never put batteries in it before, so that doesn't sound right.

I need to buy to some "d" cells before I can test it. God, I hope it's okay.

Well, does the Emerson power supply fit snugly into the jack? The reason why the AD-5U was the only AD adaptor I could use was because it fit tightly into the jack. Ironically, that power supply was faulty, so I run mine off of batteries. My MC-303 power supply and any equivalent power supplies I had all worked with it, but they didn't fit into the jack well, and were intermittent.

Well, I hope the batteries help.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: JP-8080, Virus C, Sidstation, Nord Lead 3, XP-60, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Postby Moogalistic » Sat May 26, 2007 5:22 am

If your going to whack some batteries in, if its possible, give the terminals a quick scrape with some wet and dry sand paper. Lightly just to take off any gunk that may be residing there, as you mentioned you have not used batteries before.
Moogalistic

Postby Tyler2000 » Thu May 31, 2007 9:29 am

Well, I tested with batteries, which likely leaves one option. Busted APO. How does one go about fixing thatt? Could it be something else?
Tyler2000

Postby DX » Thu May 31, 2007 11:32 am

Tyler2000 wrote:Well, I tested with batteries, which likely leaves one option. Busted APO. How does one go about fixing thatt? Could it be something else?

Remember that my APO relay was crazy and even sometimes my synth switched off itself. After several checks, I just cleaned the Power ON OFF switch. Try to do it, nothing to loose.

Open the keyb (take care about wires, casio CZ series are really cheap-wired) and spray with contact cleaner the switch.

Hope it helps.-
Roland Promars, E-mu EMAX and some other machines...
DX

Next

Return to HELP!