Any help for a newbie?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Maikell

Any help for a newbie?

Post by Maikell » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:14 pm

Okay guys/gals, please pardon the ridiculous questions I'm about to ask but I could use some advice...

I've been into electronic music for YEARS and would like to know the best route to produce/record this type of music.

I have a basic understanding of recording as I've played in previous bands before and own my 8 track digital recorder.

Okay, so this is what I have...Please don't laugh because the equipment is cheap and I'm not looking to spend much more money.

I have a Yamaha PSR-292 keyboard (with MIDI in/out) and an Alesis SR-16 drum machine (with MIDI in/out)

I also have a TASCAM DP-01 8 track digital recorder.

Now, my question is, I want a hard sequencer (not computer software based) that I can get to plug both my keyboard and drum machine into and sequence them up together...Is that how a sequencer works???

I have Sony ACID Pro 4.0 and have uploaded individual tracks using both my keyboard and drum machine but I don't know what the h**l I'm doing, and it's EXTREMELY confusing...I don't have the time to sit down and figure out exactly how those programs work...Soooo, I'm working if there is a device (something like a Roland MC-50 or Alesis MMT-8) that would make this work for me???

I'm into electronica/dancey stuff like Depeche Mode, Camouflage, New Order, stuff like that...

I want to plug both my keyboard and drum machine into this "sequencer", play my continuous drum track, then play some type of choppy keyboard piece somewhat in sync with the beat, then let the sequencer take over the keyboard sound and play it continuously for me...Can a sequencer do that for me???

Sorry if any of this is confusing, but I need to know from people who specialize or have some knowledge on this...I've tried going to guitar center but they don't seem to understand what I want to do...

Any information would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
Ben
Benbrook, TX

gubon

Post by gubon » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:28 pm

Yes, I have a MC-50 mkII and it sorts of record the notes you play through MIDI IN. You can then edit your part in several ways and play it back. The same works with your drum machine. If you want your SR-16 and keyboard to play in sync, you have to daisy chain them: MC-50 out -> SR-16 in, SR-16 out/thru -> PSR in. Set the MIDI channels correctly and your stuff will play. I recommend you to read reviews of sequencers, for instance at harmony central. It will give you an idea of the capabilities of these devices.

However, MC-50 isn't the best sequencer for loop-based music. You have to constantly copy and paste you loop. If you want to play loop-based synth parts, the EA-1 could be a nice choice. You make your sequence and sounds with the step sequencer (easy) and you synchronize it with your SR-16. It should work very well.

Hope this helps.