Midi bulk data dump from hardware to PC ?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
ewblank

Midi bulk data dump from hardware to PC ?

Post by ewblank » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:20 pm

Hey folks,

I’m wondering if anyone can recommend a good freeware midi file manager for a PC running WinXP.

Here’s what I want to do:
I need to back up my drum machine patches from a Yamaha AN200 and Roland D2 using the onboard midi bulk transfers. Both manuals give instructions on how to do this to a hardware sequencer, but there’s no info on how to do this on a computer, aside from them saying if you’re using a s/w sequencer – see you s/w manual. So basically I don’t want a s/w sequencer, just a way to save the bulk dumps to my PC, and be able to reload them back into the 2 machines if I ever have to.

I looked up MidiOX, and that seems to do what I’d like it to do – but some feedback by people who have used it or an equivalent program to do this kind of thing would be great.

And just for my own confirmation – I assume that what gets saved in a bulk dump to a MID file is just the midi channel and performance data, ie: channel X plays these notes at these times, etc… but I will lose platform-specific data like FX settings and voice-selections on the individual parts, etc… right?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
ew
Synths and gear I own: Juno-6, Moog Rouge, Yamaha FB-01, Boss DR-110 & TR-505, Casio SK-1, Yamaha AN200, Roland D2, Korg ER-1, various mini-kybds and home-made circuit bent thingies.