DX7IIfd won't do anything

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

DX7IIFD not working

Postby dachsis » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:49 am

"Houston , we have a great filght commander here."
dachsis

Gear: AllDXseries mach,60jan08),QS w/piano,(2) SY77, SY88, CS2x, PSR 6300, PSR2700,PSR550, YGP525,55c,(2) TX816, TX416,(2)TG500, Alesis1600 Mxr,QvbIV, etc

Postby evildragon » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:52 am

Can you make more sense please? I don't have much patience for run-arounds.
evildragon

DX7IIFD won't work

Postby dachsis » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:56 am

Hey mate , cool is the word ok dude. by my paraphrasign the space ship lingo dude, I was saying you are doing great to recover your Dx7IIFD M8. now go shove it. I too do not have much damned patience with helping out with ideas to a stranger and getting s**t in my face. enuff of you dudeie
dachsis

Gear: AllDXseries mach,60jan08),QS w/piano,(2) SY77, SY88, CS2x, PSR 6300, PSR2700,PSR550, YGP525,55c,(2) TX816, TX416,(2)TG500, Alesis1600 Mxr,QvbIV, etc

Re: DX7IIFD won't work

Postby evildragon » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:10 am

dachsis wrote:Hey mate , cool is the word ok dude. by my paraphrasign the space ship lingo dude, I was saying you are doing great to recover your Dx7IIFD M8. now go shove it. I too do not have much damned patience with helping out with ideas to a stranger and getting s**t in my face. enuff of you dudeie

It's not my fault you aren't speaking English. Perhaps if you did that from the start, I wouldn't be misunderstanding you. Your insult is not warranted, and not welcome.

Sorry if I upset you...
evildragon

Postby Analog Freak » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:51 am

And the language barrier rears its ugly head. :x
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.
Analog Freak

DX7IIFD won't work

Postby dachsis » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:26 pm

Analog Freak wrote:And the language barrier rears its ugly head. :x

ANALOG M8 : At the time I recvd the good commander's childish reply, I had set out a DX7IIFD (2 pc ) PS and boards to loan to him in an atempt to ID problems to get his baby up and perking.. what say ye now should I do ? Trust him now for the return of my parts , think not ! , a newbie from ??? h**l no. In the first place, I had aluded to him (owner of the DX7IIFD) as the space ship commander in a previous post of congratulating his efforts in getting that far with his baby from crew input. Then furthered the thread by flattering him as a space ship commander to say he is doing great as a DX techie , right "Houston"?
dachsis

Postby evildragon » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:09 pm

Back on topic...

At 11PM last night, I was able to change voices all night, with no problem, nothing odd happened, all the sounds kept up right.

So, in wondering how this could be, I took the DX7 apart again, and looked even more closely at all the parts. I went tapping away at it, no change.

Took a hair dryer to it, as suggested, and behold, the gate array area caused some interesting results.. Since the hair dryer isn't blowing at a precise spot, all I could see was that the small logic gate chips, next to the hybrid board (YA3 = whatever that thing is), and the sound chips, didn't like the heat so much, and the result was "similar", but NOT the same..

Luckily those logic gate chips are standard parts, and i can get those off old soundcards or anything, if I need to..
evildragon

DX7IIFD won't work

Postby dachsis » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:23 pm

Good job ! Told ya, you are a good commander M8. You are more typical than you know in the field of pursuing synth problems to the inth degree. The lack of good qualified synth techies in all areas is well known. You did it quite well, Splendid in fact ! Great site, huh? cheers
dachsis

Postby evildragon » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:30 pm

Thanks.. I particularly am good as an electrician, im a certified computer technician, but when it comes to the DX7 I love so much, I don't know a thing about it besides the service manual I have...

I am going to later test more on the DX7. The testing last night still didn't bring up the floppy drive to work. I did see that the ROM, in the service manual, is an EPROM, so it should be possible for me to re-program it. Does the 1.8 firmware exist on the net anywhere? Mine has 1.6, and I hear upgrading can also fix some problems (like in computers, you may have a weird problem, but flash the BIOS to a new firmware, or even just re-flash it with the same one, and the problem can go away)..
evildragon

Postby evildragon » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:28 am

I was just recording, and in a certain part of a song, I was supposed to hit the monophonic button, but accidentally hit SINGLE, thus reloading a voice (after I had everything setup since it was "cold"), and it totally screwed up my recording...

The Voice was the default "#8 Pluck" that is on the DX7 II D/FD ROM cartridge.. Notice how when I accidentally reloaded the patch, it sounded like this... (i was picked at, at the recording studio because they said my DX7 sounded like a rat trying to sing)

http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/dx7weird.mp3

This was recorded with whatever they had at the recording studio (those high tech machines)...
evildragon

Postby evildragon » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:37 am

damnit, the DX7 is totally dead now..

Sometimes when turning it on, the bootup screen is corrupt, or if it does boot, it says CHANGE BATTERY, and then you hear this explosive sound.. (the battery is new)..

WARNING: KEEP YOUR VOLUME LOW!!

http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/dx7power.mp3

EDIT: Took the DX7 apart to check on everything inside, and now the damned thing is working again! XD it's so weird I swear.. At this point, I don't think it's a logic gate, but a failing EPROM...

Then again, I have no basis for that conclusion..

EDIT: Now it's not working.. It boots, but no sound is produced. I'm almost ready to do anything to get this thing working like normal..
evildragon

Postby Maschinengeist » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:07 pm

At this point, I would suggest you to get ahold of the service manual and launch some tests. You need to have the technical data to see your way through.

The service manual is surely available online (free or not so free). Sometimes they pop on eBay too.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"
Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Multimeter
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff
Band: Cybernetik

DX7IIFD won't do anything

Postby dachsis » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:54 pm

Maschinengeist wrote:At this point, I would suggest you to get ahold of the service manual and launch some tests. You need to have the technical data to see your way through.

The service manual is surely available online (free or not so free). Sometimes they pop on eBay too.

Masch: I totally agree with you for the way this is spinning and going nowhere. No serv manuals are readily avail thru any source I have been able to find, e-bay has a few once in a blue moon, pricey! Out of interest, I had been following along diving thru my various libraries of DX tech / service manuals until words got in the way. Found several paths and testing processes that need to be rigidly followed to route out the problem(s). Even was going to loan the Commander about 1/2 of a DX7IIFD guts and a schematic, but no thanks now. Most of the online forums have lost most techie helpers. A bunch of us old guys saw the voids occurring in synth repair aid so we had lotsa fun providing serv training schools, free to disadvantaged kids only, in private locations in AU and US covering FM synths, kbrds and guitars. Only a few kids made a name. From that, I have all the DX serv manuals and parts up the ying yang, but miles away from being a techie. Seems about every major country is down to about one or two recommended good synth serv shops any more. You folks do some don't you ? There is a updated thread on VSE I think.
dachsis

Postby Maschinengeist » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:52 pm

If you need a tech closer to you than I, I've got one in Utah (Brandon Callahan). He's a full fledge synth tech, not an amateur. He also got access to the Muzik Elektronix extensive service manual library (unfortunately no longer open to the public for various reasons). More details on MuzikElektronix.com

Contact: brandon.c[NoSpam]@muzikelektronix.com. Just tell him that Stéphane Jutras is sending you.

For anything else I can help you with, you can always contact me.

Regards
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"
Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Multimeter
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff
Band: Cybernetik

Postby evildragon » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:06 pm

I have the service manual, I had been looking at the PCB layout with it, but it doesn't really have any tests for me to perform.

I can't afford a technician as of now, gas for my car took the last little bit i have until i get more money.. (stupid old V8 engine!)... And i'd prefer a technician in florida anyway, i don't want to ship this thing again..

I really feel it's the motherboard, as the powersupply is fine.. i checked the PSU, and it checked out, the voltages never changed under any condition, and noise levels are very good... (low)

how much does a motherboard cost? preferably one with the 1.6 firmware, or above, and for the II FD?
evildragon

PreviousNext

Return to HELP!