any casio phase distortion experts out there?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
ianthewalrus
Gear: Roland Juno 106, Kurzweil SP76, Casio CZ1000, Casio CT100, Casio MT520, Danelectro Guitars,
Band: Little Insects

any casio phase distortion experts out there?

Post by ianthewalrus » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:30 pm

so i got this casio cz-1000 cheap and it sounds awesome.
however, all i have to work with are some downloaded patches from the web and presets, because i can't figure out how to program quality patches using phase distortion. is anyone out there a phase distortion expert who can offer tips? or maybe know of a good web resource for phase distortion programming?

Zonkout
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Salad Shooter, Flowbee, Marsona 1200, Jetta TDI, Original Jams, VCR
Band: Low Red Center

Post by Zonkout » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:59 pm

I always just programmed my CZ-101 like I would an analog synth. It has all the same parameters. I preferred to normalize all the parameters on a patch before I started programming, then work from left to right. I haven't played one a a couple years, but I remember there being a button to normalize each parameter.

The CZ-101 and 1000 are basically two parallel synths which can be combined. Best to program one first Osc->Filter->Amplifier before attacking the other one (if you are even planning to use the other one.

The envelopes are the most confusing part, but there is a diagram printed on the synth to help (at least that's how it was on the 101).

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:22 pm

check out this CZ-3000 quick quide to synthesis: http://www.cosmosynthesizer.de/download ... ummary.pdf
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

ianthewalrus
Gear: Roland Juno 106, Kurzweil SP76, Casio CZ1000, Casio CT100, Casio MT520, Danelectro Guitars,
Band: Little Insects

Post by ianthewalrus » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:36 pm

hey thanks! that's been very helpful. i've managed to make something now that kind of resembles a filter sweep, which is cool. much better than presets.

MrHope
No Longer Registered

Post by MrHope » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:49 am

When I had a CZ, a lot of good sounds came from using ring modulation. one DCO would be slightly out of tune and ring modulated with the tuned DCO. That's my only tip. Other than that, just experiment. And don't forget to take advantage of the 8 stage envelopes.

TheBeezus

Post by TheBeezus » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:53 am

" any phase distortion experts out there ? " ------------- Well, not to toot my own horn, but..... no. all i have is an SK1. But my mom says I'm still a badass.
soundcloud.com/beatemupmusic