Bass Satation keyboard goes out of tune(is there a fix?)

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Bass Satation keyboard goes out of tune(is there a fix?)

Postby sineSurfer » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:31 am

Hi averyone!, Long story short, I got a bass Station keyboard and now after playing with it fo a while(really grat bass sounds), I discovered a bug?; if I use the pitch bend wheel, the synth does not come back to the correct pitch when releasing the wheel(it's like half tone down), it goes in tune after turning it off/on again.

Is there anyway to fix this behavior?

thanks!
sineSurfer

Gear: X50, MS2000, ESX1, EMX1, BassStation, Proteus/1, Electric drumkit +DM5, x0xb0x 393, theremin, mbSid stereo, MB6582, MB808, MBSEQ, Fatman.
Band: Hakken

Postby Maschinengeist » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:52 am

It could be just some dirst it the modwheel preventing it to come back to "zero". The Oscillators on the Bass Stations are stable, as far as I can tell. And it doesn't require 15 minute warm up as in many older analogs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"
Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Multimeter
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff
Band: Cybernetik

Postby sineSurfer » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:58 am

Hey that was fast! thanks Maschinengeist, guess I will open the little beast to do some cleaning, let's hope is just that. :?
sineSurfer

Gear: X50, MS2000, ESX1, EMX1, BassStation, Proteus/1, Electric drumkit +DM5, x0xb0x 393, theremin, mbSid stereo, MB6582, MB808, MBSEQ, Fatman.

Postby sineSurfer » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:12 am

well, opened the synth, no dust or anything to cleanup :( :D

there most be something about the way the bass Station works, some strange behavior I found:

I have a patch - let's call it #1 - that does not respond to the pitch bend(is this possible on all bass Stations?), so this one stays on tune.

if I use the pitch bend on another patch, it goes out of tune, then switch back the the # 1 this is out of tune too, I move the pitch bend and voila! it's back in tune again( just this first time the patch gets affected by the pitch wheel)

Can anyone confirm if this can be considered as a normal behavior for this synth?, maybe I just have to get used to it.

btw. I was kind of expecting to find all kinds of miniaturized(to fit there) old discrete components inside to make those sounds...:lol: nahh, just a bunch of regular stuff, plenty of ICs and a "centipede" like square chip covered by a label with v 1.3 written in it, the brain I guess; in resume, a lot less components than my x0xb0x but equally great sounds.
sineSurfer

Postby Maschinengeist » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:04 am

That's odd... and that's getting me worried too. I am currently working on a customer's Bass Station (for another problem). I'll have to look at it closely to make sure it's not affected to.

As far as I know, this is not a common problem.

And as you may suspect, no technical informations are available from Novation. And since I'm not a Novation authorized service point, they won't answer any of my questions. Maybe someday I'll apply for.

From the top of my head, I've got no ready-made answers. I'd have to dig the datasheets and draw some schematics and theorize what can go wrong. I notice an opto-coupler (U15) and an EEPROM (U3) and that "centipede"... could that be? I hate those double-sided PCBs!

Have you consulted the owner's manual. Available for free on the Novation.com website. Maybe there's something in it that I don't remember.

If I had the time, I'd run tests a bit deeper on this unit to figure it out. But it's impossible at this moment.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"
Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Multimeter
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff
Band: Cybernetik

Postby sineSurfer » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:29 am

You are right Maschinengeist, nothing even remotely helpful on Novation's website, but reading thru the manual, found a possible lead:

"The bass Station is capable of saving the Pitch bend and Controller wheel settings with a sound thus allowing you to customise this effects specifically to each sound..."

Now, when any patch is recalled all the pots are off-position relative to the original patch settings, so, I'm guessing, what if the provious owner/s mangled with the pitch bend pot center position, then all the saved sounds would contain wrong pitch bend info, thus when moving the pitch bend again the tone goes back to the previous saved psition(the wrong one).

If this is the case then it may be just about adjusting the pot center relative to the wheel.

this makes sense to you?

btw. thanks a lot for following up with this! :D
Riding the wave
sineSurfer

Re: Bass Satation keyboard goes out of tune(is there a fix?)

Postby proche3 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:23 pm

I have the exact same problem only, get this.. with Bass Station II. Can't find a word anywhere about it except what you've described. To a Tee. But yours is the original from the 90s, right? It can't be cleaning or mechanical, this one is less than a year old it seems like it could be a software issue or something. Did you ever figure this out? I just assume a lot of people must not use the pitch bend like they would a nord or something and never find the issue, especially that it's only affecting some patches, but I got a used one first, and ended up returning it for a similar problem, too. Actually that was a mod wheel that wouldn't return to 0, instead, when you pulled it down it would jump to all the way from 0-100 unpredictably very quickly. crazy.

-Pat
proche3

Postby spektah » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:25 am

HI There,

I just got a BSII aswell and i have this exact issue,

I have found out what it is, the pitch bend range value makes the synth go out of tune, example if you have a default INIT preset the pitch bend value is 12, this will make it out of tune when you move the pitch wheel, change it back to 2 (which other patches are at eg. patch 01) and you will see it is in tune again, albeit sightly out, if you put the pitch bend value at 0 it will be in perfect tune but your pitch wheel will no longer work!!

This has to be a software issue and maybe it happened when i plugged it into the sysex and updated the firmware,

Please novation send us a fix as this make the pitch wheel unusable!!
spektah

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:51 pm

Contact Novation and see if this is a known bug already. If not, file a bug report. You could also ask if there is a calibration procedure for the wheels (this is actually pretty common).
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Return to HELP!