remixing...assistance

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
The Cancer Years

remixing...assistance

Post by The Cancer Years » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:08 am

I am curious, as I have never done a remix and a good friend asked me to try and remix one of his songs

Well first off, as I know the band I got all the .wav files from them personally. So I have all the bits and pieces to the song. which leads me to my first question:

If I didn't know the people I am remixing, how would I go about pulling individual parts out of songs? Like if I just wanted the vocal line. How would I do that?

My second question is I use reason for...damn near everything but for remixing it's not so good due to it's real ineptitued in playing samples...well mainly LONG samples.

Would Cubase be a better choice to do the remix in?

Sorry again total newb.
Ensoniq esq1 x2 : Korg sg-1 : Korg Triton 61 : Emu ESI-32 : Alesis Multimix firewire 12 : Nord Lead 2x : Akai Ax80

http://weaeroplanes.blogspot.com

bigfoot-studios
No Longer Registered

Post by bigfoot-studios » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:37 am

I have done some remixes and what I do is just get the original vocal tracks and then compose my own music around it. I usually just use Acid.

sacredcow

Post by sacredcow » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:29 am

Reason is pretty ill equipped for remixing... You might want to give ableton a spin?
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)

Cybananna

Post by Cybananna » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:47 am

bigfoot-studios wrote:I have done some remixes and what I do is just get the original vocal tracks and then compose my own music around it. I usually just use Acid.
I do the same. get the vocal tracks from whoever and compose the rest. It might be cool to put in bits of the original or use a source material. I use Digital Performer. Not a "remixing" software, but it works well for me.

Bross

Post by Bross » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:57 pm

If you know Reason well then use Reason for original synths and drums and Cubase for existing audio. They sync up when run together.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: remixing...assistance

Post by garranimal » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:42 pm

The Cancer Years wrote:Like if I just wanted the vocal line. How would I do that?
I haven't tried it yet....but...... in theory you would need a sweepable EQ such as the one in Cubase. The trick is to sweep the frequency range until you find the part you want to pull out and maybe apply a slight boost at that range of frequencies, while applying a cut at the frequencies you want to exclude.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: remixing...assistance

Post by space6oy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:24 am

garranimal wrote:
The Cancer Years wrote:Like if I just wanted the vocal line. How would I do that?
I haven't tried it yet....but...... in theory you would need a sweepable EQ such as the one in Cubase. The trick is to sweep the frequency range until you find the part you want to pull out and maybe apply a slight boost at that range of frequencies, while applying a cut at the frequencies you want to exclude.
only remixing i've done i've used pro tools. hate the hardware requirement, hate how they charge for updates all the time, hate how most plugins cost a fortune, but it's still my favorite audio editing app. if you're just doing remixes and aren't looking for more inputs, just land a used mbox. the software's worth it.

removing vocals from a summed stereo track is damn near impossible. like he mentioned, you can mess with tons of EQ adjustments to get it solo'd out more, but there will almost always be traces of other sounds buried in it. if you're wanting the vocals completely individually you almost absolutely have to get their individual tracks.

i'm no pro, but that's my 10c.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:28 am

As said, try to run (for instance) Reason rewired to your favourite sequencer like Cubase, Pro-Tools (in my own case), etc.

There are lots of ways for remixing. Of course, voice is perhaps the main thing to include. You can also include some identificative sounds from the remixed band (like some fx, some keyboard or guitar riff, etc).

What I do for remixing is: Pro tools= Main sequencer. Reason connected in Re Wire mode. So I can senquence some instruments like basses or synth leads from Pro Tools tracks, and I leave the Reason sequencing tracks only for drums and Rex files.
Roland Promars, E-mu EMAX and some other machines...

The Cancer Years

Post by The Cancer Years » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:40 am

I use Cubase for most of my recording/mixing. I figured it woudl be best to drop it in there.

I was just trying to get some all around ideas/opinions on how this is done.

thanks a lot!
Ensoniq esq1 x2 : Korg sg-1 : Korg Triton 61 : Emu ESI-32 : Alesis Multimix firewire 12 : Nord Lead 2x : Akai Ax80

http://weaeroplanes.blogspot.com