After That Sharp Fat 'Justice' Bass Sound

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
pplspoet

After That Sharp Fat 'Justice' Bass Sound

Post by pplspoet » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:36 am

I've been making and recording music in bands for years and am about to buy my first decent synth for a new band im in.

Basically i want something that can produce that sharp distorted fat bass thats used in tracks like D.A.N.C.E by Justice (or the remix of that simian song) and some of the MSTRKRFT tracks.

I've been looking online at some of the following... Am i on the right track?

Korg MS-20
MicroKorg
Oberheim OBXa

I also had a look at the KORG Legacy Collection.

Help would be great!

Bross

Post by Bross » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:11 am

The Simian song sounds like 1 oscillator, pretty narrow pulse wave. The filter envelope has a pretty quick decay time. D.A.N.C.E. sounds similar, maybe a bit overdriven.

As far as figuring out which synth to buy, it comes down to what you'll need. Maybe you'll need presets live. Maybe you'll want polyphonic for doing other things. Maybe software is all you need. But I think most any analog or VA can provide bass sounds like these with some good programming. The basslines themselves are what really make that Justice bass killer.

pplspoet

Post by pplspoet » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:20 am

Thanks BROSS.

I've been listening to samples of the synths i mentioned and they all happened to have really sustained unaccented bass notes in the demos... Just wanted to make sure that the sounds i wanted to achieve were achievable with what i was looking at.

Cheers.

hinotori
Gear: /A1200/CVI/SIXTRAK/
SYSTEM100&100M/CS30/SK1/NORDG2/

Post by hinotori » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:26 pm

i use a juno 106 for pretty similar results . with some post production .
the justice sound and all that ed banger crew seems to be down to the engineer/producer/mastering guy . . ill look into who it is as it sounds like the same guy mastering for the whole label .
could be that cheapo compressor that daft punk use too .
and yes . good bassline . :)

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:56 pm

I would advise using an analogue synth with some distortion. You could use a VA-but Id run it thru analogue distortion if you want a Justice sound. Otherwise it will be too clean. Justice use a Juno 60 I think....

MSTRKRFT use a Super Jupiter, SH101 and Nord Lead....and both are very much into analogue recording.....

xibalba

Post by xibalba » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:21 pm

justice i believe i read somewhere that they used all softsynths with some as they said "micro samples" which is why i think that the song genesis has michael jacksons thriller in it. They also used logic and cubase to record and used the synths in each program. Now that i have said that does anyone know where i could find a hardware synth for the (what i call) sonic the hedgehog horn in the track Party?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:41 pm

Remix said for the newest album, microsamples, Cubase SX, and Garageband and the sound libraries from those pieces of software. Older singles were made using hardware and synths, but no mention of what. Also, they used Apogee Ensemble interface, Altec iPod Speakers, and a Bose radio alarm clock for monitoring.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

hinotori
Gear: /A1200/CVI/SIXTRAK/
SYSTEM100&100M/CS30/SK1/NORDG2/

Post by hinotori » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:46 am

seems like the old "shake the fans off our tail" trick .
not sure id believe what is published as a studio list from any established electronic artists . The studio is often like a well guarded family recipe .
trust your ears and the advice of some synth and sound boffins ;)