So I got an Ion

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Entropy Farmer

So I got an Ion

Post by Entropy Farmer » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:41 pm

Do I have weakling jello-fingers, or do the buttons require an abnormal amount of pressure to depress? Using the thing reminds me of my great-great aunt who used to poke the h**l out of your shoulder with her bony crone finger. It's like I need a set of Tony Levin's Funk Fingers to page the bloody menu.

Panurge8

Post by Panurge8 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:01 pm

Is it a new (or previously unused) one? I bought mine used and I only encountered this problem with the fourth timbre button, but after a few days the button was the same as the rest. I wonder if the buttons will become less stiff over time? Hope you like the synth, I certainly do!

BTW: are the Funk Fingers those rods he uses on his right hand pointer and middle fingers? Those are awesome. 8)
Do the funky Alphonzo.

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One - PEK - Juno60 - 606 - 777 - MOTM format Modular... and Lots of Effects ‘n stuff analog & digital
Band: Dreams of Psyche

Post by johans121 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:05 am

Mine feels fine.

Doesn't this belong in "Help"
Don't feed me Indian, you WILL regret it!

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:08 am

i bought mine new.... never noticed any sort of stiff button thing happening. might be a fluke. how do you like your ion sound-wise?

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:22 am

I bought mine used from a guy in Michigan that used it in a band and all the buttons on mine work fine. Maybe it's just you. :P But it's a fantastic synthesizer and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

jplavidfan
Gear: AX60, Ion, VFX, MS2000, Poly 800 MkII, Privia, Juno 60, Motif 6 Loaded, MiniCompact, Kurzweil K2V3, Minimoog D, Mtron, Virtual Synth

I got one VERY used................

Post by jplavidfan » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:51 am

and I took a can of switch spray to most of the pushbuttons and even the main volume button.

After a bit of poking around, they all worked fine, but yes, those little lit rectangles were most definitely sticky when I got mine.

And I like it a ton! The sound just keeps on going and going. I am just starting to alter the preinstalled patches. But I have an MS2000 that I am just getting started with too.

But, I will say this. The MG1 still puts out a warmer sound than any VA.

I had to learn it for myself. I have 3 VA's now, and they sound great, but the Bob Moog filter sends them all to wannabe h**l.

I am convinced I need a Minimoog soon.

jpl
MS2000 - Nord Lead - Alesis Ion - Juno 60 - DX7 - MG1 - VFX - MTron - Motif 6 w/PLG150AN - Poly800 Mk II - AX60 - Privia - MiniCompact - Yamaha DGX500 - Hiwatt Theremin

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:00 pm

Doesn't this belong in "Help"
Whoops. Yes, it should have gone there. That's what I get for posting in a hurry at work.

Anyhow, this switch spray stuff sounds intriguing. My unit was sitting around for a few years not being used according to the Ebay description, which might explain things. The mod wheel also squeaks at like 14khz, which is h**l of annoying.

To try and steer this back into general synth territory: I like it so far! The mod matrix is really comprehensive, and the sound character contrasts nicely with the other synths I have. I feel like I'm doing a lot of menu diving, though, considering how many dedicated controls there are.

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Multimeter
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff
Band: Cybernetik

Post by Maschinengeist » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:03 pm

They should be smooth. Maybe the previous owner spilled some soda in it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:11 am

After you spend a few hours with it you'll get aquainted with it. The Ion is is my first and only synth, and after spending about a week with it I was flying through the edit menus. I really love my Ion A LOT. I probablly will never get rid of it. My only real problem is its 49keys instead of 61, despite that its perfect. One day I had brought it by my high-school band(yes... I'm only 15, about to be 16 though :)) and got many astonished looks from people. Even my band director (been directing for 27 years) was amazed with it and even further more shocked when I told him its price. I'm going to use it for my school's upcoming talent showcase and wow the other people at my school. :P Sadly, when I tell people I play synthesizers and they say "a what?" kinda makes me feel unique. :P[/quote]
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

chipbrain

Post by chipbrain » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:17 pm

Box, how much actually does a new Ion costs, and from where exactly can i order it safely and troubleless,since am stuck in a half-reckognized european-banana-republic (where finding an Alesis dealer is downright impossible)?

Iv been wanting one since the day they got out, but am still searching...
Roland Juno-106; Korg Poly61; Emax HD; Roland Jupiter 4; Korg MS2000; Roland D-50, m-audio delta 10/10 rack, behringer b2 condenser mic, mc-303, yamaha su200, behringer tube expander/compressor/limiter, mixer, tannoy reveals monitors

machvingtsun

Post by machvingtsun » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:36 pm

I want to buy on of these to.
Nova musik is selling them at what seems to be the cheapest price new.

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:53 pm

Micron for life