Moog Source questions

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
bb5000

Moog Source questions

Post by bb5000 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:00 am

Hi all.

I am new here and pretty green when it comes to synths.
I recently picked up a Moog Source (after playing one 10+ years ago;
almost traded a Farfisa compact and $ for one back then) and all seems to function without a problem.

The question or questions I have are about restoring the factory
presets (which was the attraction originally). I downloaded a PDF version of the manual which stated
you need a factory audio cassette ? Do you need a special
tape deck ? Does anyone do this or have these anymore ? Is the quality as good ? Are these tapes voodoo or is there any other way ?

As I said I am a noob ( so you may have to explain accordingly) and apologize if this if it is routine for you guys.

Thanks in advance for your time.
-Brian

Toris

Post by Toris » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:07 am

The manual shows pictorial settings for all 16 of the factory presets. Should only take you around 1/2 hour to program them manually?
Err...now what?

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:33 pm

My Source has a weird tape interface, not a standard 1/4" in. If you have the ability to dummy up that sort of cable you can send the tape backup in. Most people transfer via WAV file playback now. That's a lot of work, as much as it would take to just program 16 new presets.

Enjoy your Source! I love mine.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

bb5000

Update

Post by bb5000 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:48 am

So.... I was looking for a synth technician in the L.A. area to see if maybe they had the master factory tape to reload the original patches for the Source. I believe I found the place in the technicians post but it ended up being a pretty known shop and the place my pops takes his newer keyboards. They had the tape so I brought it in.

They fired up my source and the digital displays were flickering and twitching, something that never happened before (in my 2 days of playing w/ it/ owning it). The tech asked me if it had done that before and I told him it hadn't.
He reloaded the sounds and all was as I remembered it. The sounds that were reprogrammed on it when i got it were all drowned in noise and or barely audible gurgles. The reloaded factory sounds once again had rich fat bass, and the shrill sharp biting highs. It was awesome hearing it come to life.

However after reloading, the 2 octave buttons (0 and +1) stopped working. They still lit up but did not function. AND.... the STRANGEST thing the notes in the lower octave
(of the 3) switched w/ the highest and the middle stayed the same. So now instead of what was looking like a while you wait, and I think up until that point free (?) job, turned into an actual repair or rather troubleshooting leave it there mission. I saw it w/ my own eyes so it wasn't shady business but have any of you heard of this sort of thing happening ?

Is this unusual ?

sorry for the novel, thanks for the responses.

My Source has a weird tape interface, not a standard 1/4" in
yeah mine has the 5 pin connector. Don't they all ?

-Brian

bb5000

Post by bb5000 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:07 am

The manual shows pictorial settings for all 16 of the factory presets. Should only take you around 1/2 hour to program them manually?

F*CK!!!
After my last post I looked at another link and found a different PDF version.
Didn't have the entire manual. Just found the whole thing and you are correct .The last few pages ( I think what I had before was more of just an overview) show ALL of the presets.... data wheel increments and all.
Have any of you mod'd these things to go back in time ?

Any help w/ the previous post is still appreciated.

"That's when I reached for my revolver."