The best synth for a complete begginer? ;0

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
SomethingKillingYou
No Longer Registered

Re: The best synth for a complete begginer? ;0

Post by SomethingKillingYou » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:45 pm

Greiv wrote: I have no price ranges, I can afford anything. I just got a mega awesome job at a radio station here in Toronto, so for a highschool guy, I'd say I have enough money for just about any synth. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

get this then:

www.vintagesynth.com/misc/synclav.shtml

mistercooper

Post by mistercooper » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:51 pm

CS-80 and 2600 are both made for beginners...
m-audio Radium 61, Korg Kontrol49,
Nord Modular rack, ER-1
Soundlab
CS-50
Custom built modular w/ ~30 modules
TX-216, VSS-100, PSR-470
Ableton Live, Reason, Cubase, plugs

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:01 pm

A little more seriously than the previous post but in the same vein, what can you afford?

If you can spend thousands and want something good, get a minimoog or one of its modern decedents.

Also, you should tell us what you think you want to do with this synth. A great beginner synth for someone playing metal would necessarily be a good synth or someone wanting to do synth pop.

The Juno's mentioned before are good in that the signal path is clearly marked out and all parameters have a dedicated slider or switch. However, I don't like the Juno's sound and think that starting out with a synth like the 106, 60, or 6 is a good way to end up in a rut. I think many that start out on something like the 106 have difficulty later adjusting to other synths that don't have such a straight forward interface. Get a Juno today, bash a DX 7 tomorrow. Nothing wrong with having an opinion, but too often we fall for the trap of hating what we don't understand. I'll wait until you say what you want the synth for before I offer my compromise.

SomethingKillingYou
No Longer Registered

Post by SomethingKillingYou » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:09 pm

micahjonhughes wrote:A little more seriously than the previous post but in the same vein, what can you afford?
I was serious :wink:

if he can afford anything he want, he can dare and buy something cool :lol:

...or maybe he thinks that he can buy synths like peanuts? :P

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:15 pm

Any old analog Moog or Roland is good since the interface is a logical extension of the synth's signal path. Today, I would say the Ion and Nord Leads are ok for learning. Just stay away from the Microkorg and Evolver. They are good synths and offer alot...but have very confusing interfaces that, IMHO, get in the way of learning.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Greiv

Post by Greiv » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:08 pm

Alright, I'm aiming towards making music in the style of Daft Punk. But what's Daft Punk's style?

You could see, escpecially on the "Discovery" album that every single song was a whole new story. There is no exact one, they use a lot of synthesizers. That's why I can't really specify which kind of style I am going to be making.

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:27 pm

daft punk is mostly a sampler and a bunch of old Italian disco records.

I must admit that I've hated daft punk from their first record. There is an old 313 thread you can still find by searching google for my name and daft punk in which I throughly express my opinion of them more than 10 years ago.

Having qualified my statement, I think there have been earlier discussion of daft punk here at VSE. You can search the archives.

SomethingKillingYou
No Longer Registered

Post by SomethingKillingYou » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:58 pm

micahjonhughes wrote:daft punk is mostly a sampler and a bunch of old Italian disco records.

I must admit that I've hated daft punk from their first record. There is an old 313 thread you can still find by searching google for my name and daft punk in which I throughly express my opinion of them more than 10 years ago.

Having qualified my statement, I think there have been earlier discussion of daft punk here at VSE. You can search the archives.
I hate daft punk, too 8)

don't like Italo disco, but I don't even hate it...

it did make sense, 25 years ago :P

whiteyhouston

Post by whiteyhouston » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:03 am

Daft Punk are great. Saw them in Toronto a couple weeks ago and it was a f**k awesome show... LDC screens, flash tube matrix, the pyramid! and glowing suits..
party rock at it's finest!!

fan of the albums too, no matter how they are made

(yes, I did see that sample monday on DP's source material, and I think I like the songs more now than before)

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:55 pm

Daft punk use alot of racked minimoogs (voyagers), right? i thought that came to light in the new "inside the pyramid" shots.

If you are loaded, I think a Moog would be a good way to go anyway. They are simple, fun, classic, and everything is all laid out. Check out these models:
Minimoog
Mircomoog
Rogue
MG-1
...others (you may want to avoid the source)

I did my learning on Fruity Loops and a Juno 106. It was also a great synth to learn on, but if I had more money I would have got a Rogue or something.

Not the EA-1. I mean, it's simple and all, but it's hardly a synth in my opinion.

As for drum machines that are simple, fun, awesome, and expensive, you can't go wrong with a Roland TR808 or TR909.

Pretty cool about you being rich in high school and stuff. I wish I had...any money in high school.
so what do I put down here now?

Greiv

Post by Greiv » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:20 pm

Hai guys!

Thanks for all the suggestions and stuff. I really don't get this forum though, because once in a while I get these really weird errors and I can't post anything. Anyway...

Oh by the way, I was at the concert at Arrow Hall in Toronto as well! They were just breathtaking. I couldn't really speak for the next few days. It was TOO awesome. I think it will probably be the best concert I will have ever seen until the next Daft Punk concert. (2011 >.>)

I will definately will be getting a Juno 106 and a TR 909. I already got fruity loops 7 XXL because my freind let me borrow his installation disc. ;D
I just don't know what I'm going to get for a Sampler/Sequencer though.

As for all the DP haters, I have a billion million counters against what you are saying against Daft Punk but I really don't want to start an argument.

Again, thanks a whole bunch for everything. :)

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:24 pm

Music preferences are opinion and as long as we all agree on that, we'll get along just fine.

I don't think you need to invest in a 909 as a first drum machine.

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:55 pm

micahjonhughes wrote:Music preferences are opinion and as long as we all agree on that, we'll get along just fine.
Reminds me of a quote I know... "Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got 'em."

Anywho, back on subject... As far as samplers/romplers you should get a Roland Fantom... h**l if you have the money go buy a Korg OASYS.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

Greiv

Post by Greiv » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:28 am

Like I said before, I don't want anything too complicated. And like someone else in this thread said I shouldn't just throw away my money for a really good synth right away.

I want to just get a nice normal priced sampler/synth, and I was doing some research. MPCs? Are they good? I've also heard that that the very first, 60, was the best. Is this true?

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:36 am

If you just want a basic sampler get and E-mu ESI 32. It sounds good, has reasonably modern capabilities, easy to use and can be had with some luck for as little as $50 on Ebay. I think it is the best selling sampler of all time.