Will these cables work?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
goober

Will these cables work?

Post by goober » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:31 pm

I found these cables in my house and I was wondering if these cables are able to play my synth through the computer. Does it have to be a certain cable type or will any work? It looks really similar to these cables
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CMP310/
which allows you to play and record your synth through the computer.

Here are the cables, one end fits for the synth and the other for the computer.

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:23 am

This belongs in the help section.

It looks like they will work, but trying is the only way you will know for sure.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:26 am

Yup, should work fine.

The cables are both TRS (AKA jack to jack cables) so providing you have adapters to change the size, like you do on the right end of the one in that pic, it'll work no problem.

goober

Post by goober » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:44 am

Can you explain where I should plug in these cables? I plugged in the 1/4' jack into the headphones part of the alesis micron, and I plugged in the 1/8' jack into these ports
(top of my computer case)
of my computer and I tried each one but no sound came out. Should the port be located in the back of my computer? This is where I tried plugging the 1/8' jack into. So I'm kind of confused by your statement why do I need another 1/4' jack? I was going by this guide. (later on it shows the ports) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/co3/midiexp.gif

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:25 am

You want to connect the Micron's output to a blue (or is it black?) jack on your sound card.

Green is stereo speaker out, pink is microphone input and I think blue/black is line level input. Once you are plugged in make sure the "Line in" track isn't muted on the Windows Volume Control mixer.

You won't need another adapter, I meant for connecting a synth to a mixer/amp/audio interface.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:37 am

Don't use the micron's headphone output. It outputs a much lower signal than the main outs (since the headphones work on very low signal levels), so you will have to boost volume alot to hear anything, and thus get more noise. Use the main outputs.

goober

Post by goober » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:03 am

Am I plugging it in the correct port? My guess is I need a midi cable in order to play out of the computer.

Back of CPU sound card is located there where its labeled.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:21 am

Bitexion wrote:Don't use the micron's headphone output. It outputs a much lower signal than the main outs (since the headphones work on very low signal levels), so you will have to boost volume alot to hear anything, and thus get more noise. Use the main outputs.
Eh? It's the other way around mate. ;)

Line level usually involves active electronics and therefore requires less amplification. Headphone outputs have hotter signals because they are passive and aren't powered.

As an example try plugging headphones into a main output of a synth and you'll get a low volume. With the headphones it'll be louder.

However it's still better to use the main outputs anyway as the headphone output will clip a lot more easily when you fire it into a soundcard's line level input.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:22 am

Goober, you want to be plugging it into the BLUE coloured jack of your soundcard. That's the line in I'm pretty sure.

goober

Post by goober » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:25 am

I tried the blue and nothing happen and I made sure my line in wasn't muted. Also I believe that blue port isn't the sound card?

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:36 am

What do you mean nothing happened? What program are you using?

goober

Post by goober » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:45 am

I was expecting for sound to immediately come out of the speakers. Do I need a program to be able to hear my synth being played? I was thinking software would only be needed to record the sounds.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:09 am

Wait, are you using the your OnBoard soundcard (the one build onto the motherboard) or do you have a PCI/PCI-E one like an Creative Audigy or what not.

If you AREN'T using the OnBoard soundcard then you'll have to plug it into the one you have set up.
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goober

Post by goober » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:14 am

This was a custom built computer, as in all the parts were bought separately and put together. I'm using the creative soundblaster x-fi. So to answer your question I guess I am using the soundcard that was attached to the motherboard.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:01 pm

You will need to find the cards software mixer and make sure that the line in is routed back to the main outputs which may or may not be an option since that card is not really suited for what you are trying to do so hardware monitoring may not be even available and software monitoring will introduce a fair amount of latency. The other thing you should do is to get 2 mono to RCA plus and use a 1/8" to RCA adapter, the way you have it plugged in now will only play out of one speaker.