How do I use my Roland SH-201? (BEGINNER!!)

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
7eight9

How do I use my Roland SH-201? (BEGINNER!!)

Post by 7eight9 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:34 am

I recently received an SH-201, and i don't know how to make sounds. I've heard it is very difficult, is this true? Could anyone give me any basics? thanks..

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:40 am

I am NOT being a smartass....

Twist knobs, push sliders, press key.

Seriously. And listen to what each function/parameter does.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:57 am

Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:45 am

maindeglorie wrote:I am NOT being a smartass....

Twist knobs, push sliders, press key.

Seriously. And listen to what each function/parameter does.
...I've already tried that, and it doesn't have the same type sounds i want. it just feels like a variation of the original presets.. unless you can't create fresh, new sounds from scratch??

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:25 am

is roland manuals that bad?

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:25 am

if it still sounds like the preset you started with, turn more knobs & press more buttons :lol:

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:08 am

Yep, that's exactly what I did when I got my first proper synth, a Juno 6, many moons ago. It's the best way to learn. Just get stuck in.

The 201 might well not be able to produce all the sounds you want, and I don't have much direct experience of it, but from what I remember it follows the basic structure of a lot of analogue/modelled synths, which is Oscillator, Filter, Amplifier, Modulation (LFO and Envelopes).

If you can concentrate on each of these things in turn within a simple patch, you will learn everything you need to know more intuitively than any manual can describe.

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:32 am

What type of sounds are you trying to make? Perhaps we can tell you if its possible or not on your synth.

clueless

Post by clueless » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:47 pm

The way I taught myself was getting into the habit of returning to the "normal setting" after each patch. Your manual should tell you which knobs and sliders and their relative position that will provide an unmodulated basic tone that you can then build on. After you find a cool sound... store it on a memory band or write it on a patch sheet. Whichever you prefer. (I have all my favourites on paper.) then quickly return to the normal settings patch. Get into this habit and your knowledge of signal flow will improve overnight. Don't just blindly twist knobs and push sliders..... you will never learn that way. Good luck! :wink:

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:32 pm

Read about subtractive synthesis:

http://www.kvraudio.com/wiki/?id=The+Ba ... +Synthesis

Then, check out these:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

Then ask questions in the help section here.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to tell you how to get your sounds... you have to understand what each part of the synth does and then keep trying.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

OggeOJ

If I remember this alright....

Post by OggeOJ » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:23 pm

...doing this should make some good.

Set the oscillators to do supersaw. One should be slightly detuned from the other.

Set the cutoff a little below middle. resonance 3/4 to bottom.

Listen.
yeah, im also obsessed with it.

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:08 pm

well, I'm just a beginner, so i guess after a while I'll get used to what the certain knobs do w/ tweaking and stuffs?

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:34 pm

7eight9 wrote:well, I'm just a beginner, so i guess after a while I'll get used to what the certain knobs do w/ tweaking and stuffs?
yep just like everything worthwhile in life, takes time and patience & persistance.

I've been mucking round with synths for over a year now, and I'd still call myself a beginner, although things are *starting* to become how i imagined them when i turn knobs. :P understanding the technical details behind the knobs is really only 1/10th the issue, the other 9/10ths is intuition based on past experience.

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:26 am

cartesia wrote:
7eight9 wrote:well, I'm just a beginner, so i guess after a while I'll get used to what the certain knobs do w/ tweaking and stuffs?
yep just like everything worthwhile in life, takes time and patience & persistance.

I've been mucking round with synths for over a year now, and I'd still call myself a beginner, although things are *starting* to become how i imagined them when i turn knobs. :P understanding the technical details behind the knobs is really only 1/10th the issue, the other 9/10ths is intuition based on past experience.
Arr.. i'm a clueless beginner. i thought you could make your own sounds from scratch, i didn't know you make sounds by just adjusting knobs and such.

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:13 am

By adjusting the knobs and such you are making your own sounds from scratch.

Again, what are you trying to do? Are you wanting to make a particular sound?