Oscilloscope?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
kogmachine
Gear: Probably way too much gear

Oscilloscope?

Post by kogmachine » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:14 am

Hey does anybody know about oscilloscopes? I'd like to get one so I can analyze the different waveforms from my synths. Can anyone recommend a brand and model of oscilloscope for sound design with audio inputs.
Don't be afraid, ever... cause this is just a ride.

mistercooper

Post by mistercooper » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:23 am

Generally scopes have BNC inputs. Wire it up so one axis goes to ground and the other to your signal. Any cheap 10mhz scope will be fine for audio spectrum signals.
m-audio Radium 61, Korg Kontrol49,
Nord Modular rack, ER-1
Soundlab
CS-50
Custom built modular w/ ~30 modules
TX-216, VSS-100, PSR-470
Ableton Live, Reason, Cubase, plugs

kogmachine

Post by kogmachine » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:20 am

Ok thanks, but I've never heard of BNC inputs before. Can they adapt to 1/4 inch cables or RCA?

steveman

Post by steveman » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:50 am

kogmachine wrote:Ok thanks, but I've never heard of BNC inputs before. Can they adapt to 1/4 inch cables or RCA?
You can get RCA -> BNC adaptors v easily, try Radioshack.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:42 pm

i just got one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Oscilloscope-Vell ... 901&sr=8-1

Velleman 10 Mhz Personal Scope Hps10

Havent used it yet but it seems good enough for basic synth work.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:17 pm

just remember that with the audio connection you really wont be able to do many adjustments. You would need the probe for that ;) although if all you want is to see the waveforms from the output then its no problem.

bandreject

Post by bandreject » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:10 pm

If you want to just to see the waveform of your synthesizer, then buying an oscilloscope would be wasting of money(oscilloscope lamps are very expensive), unless you want to buy a digital one. But why? I mean, your pc can act as an oscilloscope. Even better, because by recording the sound in any program you can observe the whole sound. Actually every scope visualization (like that one in winamp) is an oscilloscope, only difference is that in real oscilloscope you can set a relative frequency (or set the machine to do it automatically)to make the waveform "still", and change the scales (zoom in/out). There are programs (and probably many free) that allow all those things on pc using its soundcards line input. Of course this is not good for professional electronics (because even 96khz of sample rate is little compared to video frequencies). I don't know if you know Jmax (famous max/msp ported to java) - free modular environment that contain an oscilloscope.

barb

Post by barb » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:23 pm

I use this one :
It's perfect for me, you can have really good results...
It's in french but really easy to use

http://perso.numericable.fr/~haasjn/haasjn/WinOscillo/

[/url]
K2600 - Jupiter6 - 800DV - DSS1

MrHope
No Longer Registered

go for it

Post by MrHope » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:54 am

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/win95/OSCILLOSCOPES/

Note: There are program here for other operating systems besides Win95. Win95-WinXP.

Track2

Post by Track2 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:31 pm

bandreject wrote:If you want to just to see the waveform of your synthesizer, then buying an oscilloscope would be wasting of money(oscilloscope lamps are very expensive), unless you want to buy a digital one. But why? I mean, your pc can act as an oscilloscope. Even better, because by recording the sound in any program you can observe the whole sound. Actually every scope visualization (like that one in winamp) is an oscilloscope, only difference is that in real oscilloscope you can set a relative frequency (or set the machine to do it automatically)to make the waveform "still", and change the scales (zoom in/out). There are programs (and probably many free) that allow all those things on pc using its soundcards line input. Of course this is not good for professional electronics (because even 96khz of sample rate is little compared to video frequencies). I don't know if you know Jmax (famous max/msp ported to java) - free modular environment that contain an oscilloscope.
Bandreject, you are of course entirely correct in what you say, however I have always lusted after a hardware oscilloscope.

Its the whole "weird science" vibe.

You know, lab coats and saftey goggles in case of an in-advertant resonance cascade

see below:

Track2
Triton ProX with MOSS, Z1, Q+ Phoenix, XTk, microQ, Supernova II, KS Rack, MS2000R, A6 Andromeda, Ion, Proteus 2500

kogmachine

Post by kogmachine » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:17 am

Yeah, I've seen this video before. As for a hardware oscilloscope, I see plenty on ebay for anywhere from 40 to 100 dollars. How expensive are the bulbs for them, cause if they cost more than an oscilloscope why not just buy a new oscilloscope?

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:15 pm

Im not sure if its out there but I'd like to get an oscilloscope that I can hook up to my synth and have its image broadcasted VIA television or LCD or some device with a screen, or am I required to rely on the oscilloscope screen or a computer, or make a Rubens tube?
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:22 pm

kogmachine wrote:Yeah, I've seen this video before. As for a hardware oscilloscope, I see plenty on ebay for anywhere from 40 to 100 dollars. How expensive are the bulbs for them, cause if they cost more than an oscilloscope why not just buy a new oscilloscope?
I got one of these just recently:

It was cheap ($130 on eBay) and works well enough for synth work. It's compact and the knobs are cheap feeling, but for $130 who's complaining? Actually, the one I got is slightly different, it uses buttons instead of the toggle switches.

As for the "bulb", it is actually a special kind of CRT, and it should last a long time. Chances are, unless you leave the thing on 24/7 for years on end with the intensity cranked, you'll never wear it out.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

atkbg

Post by atkbg » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:01 pm

Hey Synthaholic,
You mean you did go to the surplus shop on Mammouth St in Manch-hatten?
They've got a wall of scopes for between$50-$100 +.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:07 pm

No, I went to the surplus shop on Ebay Street, right off the Information Superhighway. ;)

Is there such a shop in Manchester? (Around here we usually call it Manch-vegas, not Manch-hatten) :)
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda