Alas, a DX7 question...

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
barrydalive

Alas, a DX7 question...

Post by barrydalive » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:23 pm

Please forgive my ignorance, but I finally got my hands on a DX7. It looks like somebody used it as a skateboard, but it was 80 bucks so I couldn't say no. It works pretty good, but when I got home I realized that it had a couple issues. Alot of the string and voice patches are choppy (go in and out) and are really really quiet. All the others seem fine. Also, the modulation wheel does nothing and the pitch bend wheel isnt a gradual pitch change, it just changes pitches at once when you push it all the way up or down.
Anyhow, my question is if there is any sort of "reset" function on the DX7. On my CZ-1000 I pushed the P-button in the back and it made the pitch bend work normally and also recovered some patches, even though after a while it loses them again.
Thanks for reading all of that and sorry if it is a stupid question, I have a lot of sweet stuff but I just know how to make music with it, not the smart stuff.

oh yeah... my list of stuff:
Yamaha DX7, Korg DS-8, Casio CZ-1000, Roland JX-3P, Korg MS2000, LinnDrum LM-2, Sequential Circuits Drumtraks (modified), Sequential Circuits TOM, Yamaha RX-11, (2) Korg DDD-1's, Roland TD-6, Brother PDC-100, Akai MG614, Yamaha MT-44.

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:25 pm

In function mode, check the settings for mod wheel sensitivity and the 'step' setting for the pitch wheel.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

The Cancer Years

Post by The Cancer Years » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:20 am

You in Portland Oregon?

If so I saw the same one on craigslist and you beat me to it.
Ensoniq esq1 x2 : Korg sg-1 : Korg Triton 61 : Emu ESI-32 : Alesis Multimix firewire 12 : Nord Lead 2x : Akai Ax80

http://weaeroplanes.blogspot.com

quicksilverXP

Post by quicksilverXP » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:55 am

Maybe those strings and voice patches were just poorly programmed. Do you have the original roms? If not, you can use a midi connection and upload the factory patches to your DX7 from MANY sites on the internet. Just google it. Then check to see if the factory patches do the same thing.

The modulation wheel needs to be enabled. Just press the brown function button and do what Big Gnome said.

There is NO reset function on the DX7. The only thing you can do is rewrite original factory settings into it from a PC or a cartridge.

barrydalive

thanks

Post by barrydalive » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:05 pm

hey thanks for the responses. I messed around in function mode and got the pitch bend wheel to behave more appropriately. Unfortunately I couldn't get the mod wheel to do anything. I fooled around with the 3 different settings but I still got nothing. Its stange though because the mod wheel DID do something on one of the patches but not on the rest. I guess I will just have to live without the mod wheel....
Unfortunately I don't have any way of connecting to my computer via midi so I'll just have to deal. Thanks for all the advice.
Oh yeah, and yes I am in Portland, OR. My neighbors woke me up early by skateboarding outside my window so I hopped on craigslist and got lucky I guess. Although...... my car broke down at the person's house that I bought it from. That wasn't too cool.....

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Re: thanks

Post by Big Gnome » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:10 am

barrydalive wrote:the mod wheel DID do something on one of the patches but not on the rest. I guess I will just have to live without the mod wheel....
If the mod wheel is consistently effective on that particular patch, than that too is due to the way the patches are programmed. In edit mode, adjust the pitch and amp modulation settings for the other patches.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p