repair advice?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
British Kid

repair advice?

Post by British Kid » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:49 pm

I was pointed to these forums by a fellow synth enthusiast in my local area and I look forward to becoming an active member of this great community!

anyway....

I'm just looking for some general synth repair advice. I've finally mustered up the courage to fix my Realistic Concertmate MG-1 that i bought on ebay a little over a year ago. It was in iffy condition when i bought it, but the switches and sliders have simply gone more and more downhill and to get any real use out of it, I'm going to have to fix this. I've heard that older synths (especially like my MG-1) are usually pretty easy to solder, because of large contact points and such, but I thought I'd get some pointers before i order the parts and tear into it.

also, if anyone here has fixed an MG-1 before, whats the best way to deal with the black foam/goo stuff inside? thanks!

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:49 pm

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/moogmg1/

This is my Moog MG-1 site, which deals with most of this technical stuff.

I have removed the foam before - it's not hard, it's just a real mess and gets on everything it touches, so make sure you do it in a place that you don't care if you drop the goo on the table / floor. I really don't recommend using spray contact cleaner for the sliders because it gets on everything else when you spray it. If you are able to find a contact cleaner / lubricant, then it might be ok. I used the spray contact cleaner without a problem but it does make the sliders a little stiffer because it dissinigrates the original lube.

Good luck, make sure you review the site. I think I have pictures in there of the foam removal too...
I like vintage synths....

UTEPguy

Post by UTEPguy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:15 pm

I once old an mg-1 for a couple of days, then sold it. It is easier to fix than modern synths. Just do what LittleRunt said and at the and add some contact lube. You can also buy new sliders from an electronics shop. Just make sure you have the right nomenclature
Synth arsenal: Fusion 6HD, JX-8P + pg-800, XP-10, and MS-2000.

Five

Post by Five » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:07 am

i recently cleaned foam, and replaced all sliders in switches in my MG1. it was my first "repair" project also, and was actually very simple. i ordered my parts from ebay seller 'chipforbrains'. he has a nice kit available specifically for the MG1. All you really have to do is desolder the old sliders/switches and solder in the new.
While I was at it I also added MIDI to it by ordering the 'midijack' from synhouse... http://www.synhouse.com/midijack.html
which was also very simple and makes the synth a lot more capable...if you're into the whole midi thing. Took about 20 minutes to install. The scariest part was drilling a new hole through the case but it turned out well. As far as cleaning the foam i'd follow the link "whinylittlerunt" put up there. Isopropyl alcohol seems to do the trick.
Replacing the old gunky sliders and switches with new ones definately made the synth sound a LOT better and clearer. I recommend it! Also if you're interested, heres a song I made entirely with the MG1 after replacing everything and adding the MIDI... www.purevolume.com/jakeschrock