Newbie Tips?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Atari26003

Newbie Tips?

Post by Atari26003 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:37 pm

Hello everybody how are you today.
My names Matty, Im from Canada, Ontario to be exact.
Im not the oldest person here :lol: But i have a story & Questions.

I've liked music obviously all my life, i remember in grade 7 or 8 i was playing around with some machines at friends house in his fathers room and made some great tunes, i didn't know what i was doing and I didn't ever ask, IM a complete newbie at ANYTHING in this topic of synths.
Ive always used programs on the computer to produce dance tracks but I know its not the same everybody tells me get the equipment and make it yourself don't let some pathetic windows program do it for you, so i decided to go through with that idea. OK well I am into the style of

Progessive Trance
Trance
Acid House
And Most other sub genres of dance but those are the main ones.
I would like to know what sort of things in synthesizers I am looking for, I know that every synthesizer is different and there are specifics ones for genres ( well that work best lol). I would like to know what sort of machine I would be looking at buying, and the sort of tips I want to know, this is an extremly odd request but id like to thank whoever helps :)

Matty

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:26 pm

Welcome, I'd recomend you to look at the difrent Korg electribe line of gear. Good starter units and I don't recomend Korg gear that often, but its a decent way to get your feet wet in the hardware world. They'll have sequencers and tracks, you'll be able to build pretty whole sounding songs with patterns into songs, they can be very trancy, and they always sound pretty decent for not a bad price tag. Later you can worry about their limitations and where you might like to go next. There is a lot out there to explore, even waste plenty of your time and money on.

Hopefully you'll get more recomendations too if you maybe put a price range your looking at, be leery of recomendations of straight up performance synths, cause they are easy to get one of those for a lot of money and be stuck with just making one sound at time, all be it that it can be a great sound, but you wont be able to do much more until you get some more gear to go along with it if you want to build songs.

Good luck, hope you find something to your likeing.

Zam
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Atari26003

Post by Atari26003 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:52 am

Heh thank you very much!
I was looking into their brand
I comeup with two machines i am looking into buying
ESX-1 or
EMX-1

I don't see much of a difference but Im not into hard core technicality yet,

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:41 am

if you're looking for a good synth that will suit dance music, may I recommend the Yamaha AN1X....it's from the mid 90s and I've seen them go for under $400...although that price isn't promised as I hear they're picking up in popularity again. But here's where I think the synth shines:

Solid MIDI
Good sequencer
Great Arpeggiator with plenty of fun patterns
LOTS of hands on control.
Lots of internal FX

......and that sound engine!

I've got the most subtle and subdued of pads on there to the most aggressive and loud leads ever....and if you want to do some trance right off the bat, type in "Yamaha AN1X" and click through the videos. Someone has made their sound set available and it centers mostly around trance! Also, there are plenty of sounds and a visual editor available online.

If you'd like a demo of it, PM me and I'll get one to you.

The only thing I will say about it is that it's a h**l of a thing to program. Hard stuff, but it's do-able.

Hope that helped!

- ry
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:11 am

A basic start would be to separate the different things you require, and then pick suitable machines.

For example, I started with a drum machine, and a Korg synth for basslines,

So in the case of the sounds you want to make, the korg equipment would be good for you. Zamise is right about performance synths, until you become more attuned to an exact style or sound, try and avoid those, as they can be too expensive, and only do one thing.

Oh, and some machines can do it all in one box, they arent always the greatest of synths, but they can help you develop until you get more particular about your own style of doing things.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

mutetus

Post by mutetus » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:42 pm

Please get acquainted with music theory first. Then learn something about synthesizers and audio. Otherwise you will have problems. You probably won't get very far by not knowing what you're doing with the hardware and it will be just a waste of money.

PitchBender
Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice

Post by PitchBender » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:48 pm

There are some great links to educating yourself about synths and music production in the General Synthesizer section of this forum, stickied up at the top. "READ THIS if you're looking at choosing a new synth!". Lots of good info can be found.

I would also recomend the Korg ESX-1. Easy to use, fun and you can load up your own samples.

esqoner

Post by esqoner » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:57 pm

the emx-1 would be a great starter. drums and synth sound and a sequencer. you will be able to come up with songs quickly and learn basic things to help you on your way.

the esx-1 is cool to....though you will need to load stuff for sounds where on the emx they are there for your taking.

youtube has some great videos on them.

also, you could look at a er-1 ea-1 combo...though they may run you up depending on current used prices to where the emx would get you in one unit.

my first synth was a yamaha an200...which i now wish i didn't sell...same sounds as the an1x listed above and a built (but limited) sequencer. the manual is amazing in my eyes and takes you clearly through sound and noise making

have fun and don't get caught up in the gear chase because it sucks.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:37 am

+1 for AN1x.

The free patch editor (for PCs) makes things a lot easier.

AN1x plus electribe EMX would be a great start :)
Stephen(2)

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:33 pm

Roland JP8000, the official synth of techno/trance/house. :P

Also Korg Poly-800 mkI can be had for $100 or less; I suggest the mkII instead for digital delay, MIDI Sysex, and 1000 step sequencer instead of 256 even though it's about $50-$100 more than mkI (I managed to get mine for $150 with case and in really good shape). It'd probably fit into what you're into very well. Guaranteed you won't be able to get as many sounds as you would the Yamaha or Roland; I've managed to get a few nice "dance/techno" patches from it and best of all you can strap it on 80's style. 8)
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!