Mixers In A Keyboard Setup

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
kylejun06

Mixers In A Keyboard Setup

Post by kylejun06 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:49 am

Ok, soooo. I first bought this Alesis Multimix8USB Mixer when i was roughly 14. It was the first piece of musical equpiment I bought, and I bought it for recording purposes. Then, I got into keyboards and synthesizers, instead of recording, and I haven't found a good use for the mixer. I see tons of people's setup pics and there's mixers in most of them, and I don't understand how they use them. What do you all use your mixers for in your keyboard setup?

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:54 am

Running a bunch of synths through one PA.
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:28 pm

Clavier wrote:Running a bunch of synths through one PA.
Yup, what he said. In a word, we use them for "mixing."
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

burnt toast

Post by burnt toast » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:40 pm

my mixer takes the instrument outputs and then outputs the mix into the sound card.

it also takes the soundcard output onto a second bus which i use for monitoring the PC's output.

obviously i can also monitor whatever i've plugged into the desk for when im not using the pc.

i use the mixer to set my input gains into the PC and then do my actual mixing in cubase.

Uncle Screwtape
Gear: Access Virus Indigo
Alesis ion
Arturia MiniBrute SE
DSI Mopho
Novation KS4
Vermona DRM1 MkIII
Roland TR-707
Korg DDD-5
Korg Volcas (4)
Band: Uncle Screwtape

Post by Uncle Screwtape » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:56 am

My mixer is at the heart of my rig. I run a Mic, Synths & Misc. Instruments, Turntable, DVD, VHS & Cassette Deck. Everything funnels into a 2 channel sound card for recording without having to unplug anything. Call it working smart or laziness. Plus, I like knobs...

I also monitor everything from the board (instruments, audio components & DAW playback).
Your... affectionate uncle,
-Screwtape