Juno 106 as MIDI Controller

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
artfulideas

Juno 106 as MIDI Controller

Post by artfulideas » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:58 pm

I have one in pretty nice condition other than a dead voice chip. Instead of installing another one, Im thinking about removing the remaining voice chips that are left and just using my J106 as a MIDI controller only. It sends MIDI from all of its knobs and sliders right?

And I think it looks better than alot of keyboards that are actually designed to be MIDI controllers.
Drum machines: Machinedrum UW mk II, modded TR-606, TR-707 & TR-727 (both circuit bent), ER-1 mkII
Synths: MFB Synth II, MicroKorg, modded Fatman, Mini theremin

Jexus

Re: Juno 106 as MIDI Controller

Post by Jexus » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:09 pm

artfulideas wrote:It sends MIDI from all of its knobs and sliders right?

uhmm... I think this model was released too early.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:20 pm

AFAIK, the MIDI on this is limited to note on/off signals. The knobs won't send any signals but sysex. So it makes it useless as a controller for softsynths etc.

The pitchbend stick works but that's about it.

plus321

Post by plus321 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:30 pm

Yeah it sends sysex data from the sliders, not midi CC so I don't think it will be very useful. It also doesn't have aftertouch or velocity and only has one bender, so you would lose a lot of expression if it was your primary controller. You would do better to buy another voice chip, resell it, and buy something that is a better controller.

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:47 pm

plus321 wrote:Yeah it sends sysex data from the sliders, not midi CC so I don't think it will be very useful. It also doesn't have aftertouch or velocity and only has one bender, so you would lose a lot of expression if it was your primary controller. You would do better to buy another voice chip, resell it, and buy something that is a better controller.
Also, it's kind of gigantic for a midi controller. And what would be the point of taking out hte remaining chips? You can just turn the volume down or not plug it in.
so what do I put down here now?

artfulideas

Post by artfulideas » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:27 pm

Oh!!! Sothats why I couldnt get it to work as a MIDI controller, it doesnt send MIDI cc data!

I was gonna remove the remaining chips to resell, cus if you do that, I think you get just as much if not more than if you sell the entire thing.

right.

anyways...
woulda been cool looking though. And a lot of sliders. If only they did MIDI ccs.
Drum machines: Machinedrum UW mk II, modded TR-606, TR-707 & TR-727 (both circuit bent), ER-1 mkII
Synths: MFB Synth II, MicroKorg, modded Fatman, Mini theremin

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Multimeter
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff
Band: Cybernetik

Post by Maschinengeist » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:28 pm

Here's the Juno-106 MIDI implementation chart: http://www.soundofmusic.se/files/juno10 ... tation.htm
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"