Realistic MG-1 slide pots?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
celebutante

Realistic MG-1 slide pots?

Post by celebutante » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:44 am

Anyone know a good source for these? I'm getting ready to sell mine, and outside of the pots, it's mint (they feel like c**p). I did the legendary "de-gunking" ritual today... and it sucked! I think I want to replace all the pots before I let it go so it'll be perfect for the next guy.

I found them on ebay from chipsforbrains, but they were around $4/piece... ouch! Is this the only source?

thanks in advance...

mitchell
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:58 am

I can't remember how much I paid for my chipsforbrains MG-1 sliders... but I DO remember this: the price fluctuated. I looked once, and the price was like $80 for the set, then I looked again later and it was $100, and then I looked again and it was back to something like $80.
So, I can't do the math, but if you don't like the price, keep checking back on his auctions.
In any case... once you have them replaced, you may not want to sell the MG-1... it is a WONDERFUL device when the sliders are all smooth and effective! Slider replacement is VERY worth it.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

DFM

Post by DFM » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:33 pm

I bought a complete new set of sliders for my Rogue from chipforbrains on eBay about a year ago. The price was smth like 30-40 bucks for a whole set.
Fizmo; K5000S; MS-10, MS-20, VC-10, Wavestation SR; K2500S; Nova II XL, Supernova II ProX; Xpander; JD-800, Jupiter-4, Drumtraks; Kyma X w/Haken Continuum; Microwave XTk; DX11, CS-30, FS1R.

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Multimeter
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff
Band: Cybernetik

Post by Maschinengeist » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:23 pm

$4.00 a piece is a reasonable price. Chipforbrain's sliders are quality ones too. Compare the prices with digikey, mouser, etc. You can find cheaper but they'll be built cheaper too. Sliders aren't usually sold at $0.50 (maybe in bulk from a supplus seller).
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:24 pm

Yeah, it's funny, I turned it on for the first time in a LONG time and it sounds better than I remembered. But it's sitting next to my .com modular, which certainly sounds as good or better. And the MG-1 has all the silly limitations I always hated (can't go down to low E, osc 2 doesn't go down to 32' range, no multi-trigger mode). I'm sure I could mod the heck out of it, but that'd reduce the value, and like I said, there's that big patch-cordy next to it that doesn't have any of those issues.

I did realize that only some of the sliders are really bad (mainly in the mixer section for some reason), the rest are ok, so I'll have to figure out the values and see if Mr. Chipforbrain will sell me a couple.

Thanks for the help guys!

Mitchell
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

Bross

Post by Bross » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:58 am

What are the odds?! I just degunked an MG-1 today too. I'm also going to sell it when I get everything working. I sure hope the new owner will appreciate my efforts because it was a pain. Several towels were ruined in the process.

Five

Post by Five » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:56 am

"Several towels were ruined in the process"
hah i know exactly what you mean, i also should not have done it over my carpet...

i bought my replacements from chipsforbrains i think it was around $100 with shipping but i also got the whole kit. itd be nice if he can sell you just what you need...that probably wouldnt cost too much