Technical assistance

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Multimeter
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff
Band: Cybernetik

Technical assistance

Post by Maschinengeist » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:19 am

Hi!

Hope it belongs here because it's about the Help VSErs requested from me. Not much of a thread but a communiqué.

All the repairs are being cared of. I am extremely behind schedule. Not only I am sick but the only tech left at Muzik Elektronix. More details in the blog (www.muzikElektronix.com, frontpage). I work 7/7 trying to catch up. It's totally insane. In normal time, nothing should have take that long. So accept my sincere apologies for all the inconveniences. To all concerned, the benchrate has been lowered. No law forces me to but because I care about my customer and feel bad they felt into such a bad period.

All the help requests have been received. As soon as it's possible for me, I will answer them all. I'm receiving over 100 emails a week and try to answer them all personally (when there are answers to be sent, of course).

In hope you won't keep a bad feeling about Muzik Elektronix. I am working extremely hard and try to put out as much work as possible but alone (I have not find new techs yet, even though I "tried" a handful). I've gain a respectable international reputation over time and this dark period will certainly leave a few stains.

I am posting here because it might not everyone who drops by my website. Also, I am a devoted member of this community and thought everyone needed to know. Thanks in advance for the space.

Sincerly

~Steph
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"

immigrantboy

Post by immigrantboy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:23 am

Good luck! You've given alot of helpful insight in the past. Hope things improve for your business!
Main Gear: Korg M500, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha PSS-480, sitar, cassette tapes
Toys: Casio PT-87, Casio SA-40 "Magical Dial", Casio Rapman, "The Crappy Keyboard"

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff

Post by Maschinengeist » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:34 pm

Thank you immigrant boy for the kind words.

The time is actually pretty grim for me right now. I'm questioning myself about the future of Muzik Elektronix. Especially in regard of the impossibility to get techs to assist me.

I can't see myself doing anything else. Electronics and synths are a passion to me, not just a mere 9-to-5 job. But it seems that I'm the only one in my area to think like that. Every techs I hired turned out to be a nightmare causing financial losses and complaints. I had to redo all the jobs by myself, causing delays. And I don't see the day when I'll be able to put my head out of the water. Once again, I seem to be alone believing in customer service, in a job well-done at the right price.

I'm booked until after the holidays. After that, I don't sincerly know what I'll do. Too many problems. Does it all worth it? There's a limit of what a guy alone can do. Maybe I'm too pessimistic. But I'm poorer now than before I launched Muzik Elektronix. In months, I haven't been able to pay myself a salary... and I work 7/7. That's why I had to find a job outside Muzik Elektronix.

Maybe after xmas Muzik Elektronix will only become a side-line and work with a list of customers (like many techs do). I don't know yet.
MuzikElektronix.com
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Sorry, they aren't free

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:29 pm

Man I knew things were going bad for you, but not this bad. Hope you can find some trustworthy techs soon and get things running smoothly. Hope you haven't minded me advertising for you lately. I got lots of good help from you and I figured this would be the best way for me to try and help.

Best wishes to you, keep working hard and things are sure to turn. :)
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

Uncle Screwtape
Gear: Access Virus Indigo
Alesis ion
Arturia MiniBrute SE
DSI Mopho
Novation KS4
Vermona DRM1 MkIII
Roland TR-707
Korg DDD-5
Korg Volcas (4)
Band: Uncle Screwtape

Post by Uncle Screwtape » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:19 pm

Wish I were close enough. I love working on synths & hate disappointing people.

Best of luck. Hope all works out.
Your... affectionate uncle,
-Screwtape

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff

Post by Maschinengeist » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:15 am

Quick note while still working:

After more than a dozen of techs whom turned out to be more trouble than anything else, Muzik Elektronix will have one tech only: me. No more slackers around. And I won't have to pass nights awake to redo jobs like I am still doing - which is the main reason I am so behind schedule. I'm sick of people with diploma but who can't carry their weight and only put out c**p. I didn't start that company to see a buch of half-asses drive the Muzik Elektronix's name down the drain. I'm sick to pay salaries and get nothing in return. And more importantly, to have my customers nagged by them. Today I fired my last tech (in Montreal) who made me lose contracts and neglected 3 of my customer's synths. Obviously, I'll be redoing the jobs he's done and finish what he was supposed to finish for weeks. Just what I needed. That's today's techs: we want the money but we can't work for it and the customer doesn't matter. Bravo! Hopefully, the customers knew me well and know that I didn't want any of this to happen and that I care about their synths and about them. They were smart enough to understand that people who cares now are rare. And that I am not out them to screw people. As the decades pass, good employees are harder to find. Why? There's a generation problem here. Some people really need a reality check and stop staring at the their bellybutton if we want a society to work. It's not just in electronics, I assure you.

Anyway. Just me now.

Obviously, Muzik Elektronix won't be able to put out as many synths as it used to be. The modus operandi will change, obviously. Chances are that the "list" method (used by many techs) will be used.

Muzik Elektronix will take less jobs. One at a time. And it's quite probable that the benchrate will be fixed at one fee only, no more categories.

Nothing is decided yet. Watch the website for updates.

My sincere apologies to all who've been badly served by my ex-techs. None have fallowed the Muzik Elektronix policies. I couldn't behind them every minute and they knew it. They didn't care. They're history.

Thanks everyone for your reading. Thanks VSE for the allowed space. And thank for your support. Without customers, I would be nothing.

Regards

~Steph
MuzikElektronix.com
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Sorry, they aren't free

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff

Post by Maschinengeist » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:45 pm

The new Modus Operandi has been uploaded to the website. Effective by January 2nd 2008. Changes might still be be made.

It is obvious that things might become slower than usual (though the techs didn't make it faster though). But keep in mind that every instruments given to my care are given the same amount of care and time. I have no intention to start "butchering" jobs just to get rid of them and collect the money.

Emails might get slower to be replied to. If I seem to have forgotten to reply to your email, please don't hesistate to contact me again.

I still remain at your disposal, even though the situation is far from being obvious.

And once again, thank you to everyone. My sincere apologies to everyone stuck waiting.

~Steph
MuzikElektronix.com
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Sorry, they aren't free

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:32 pm

steph, im sorry to hear that things arent going well for you. i think you should stop taking on new work until your current workload is lighter, and think about changing your business plan if youre not making enough money. being your own boss is tough, especially with health problems and nobody else to help you. have you thought about becoming a tech for a music store in quebec? that might be a better situation for you cause at the end of the day you could go home and relax instead of stressing yourself out working around the clock.
good luck
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

DX

Post by DX » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:20 am

I would asure I put a reply yesterday that is not in the thread.

That said something like : It is embarrasing to have techs that kick off the customers and do a bad job. try to get less work to do and Keep it on , maschine. Hope you find a good way to go with your work and you can keep it working fine.
Roland Promars, E-mu EMAX and some other machines...

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff

Post by Maschinengeist » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:03 am

Thanks DX. I really do appreciate the support.
minime123 wrote:steph, im sorry to hear that things arent going well for you. i think you should stop taking on new work until your current workload is lighter, and think about changing your business plan if youre not making enough money. being your own boss is tough, especially with health problems and nobody else to help you. have you thought about becoming a tech for a music store in quebec? that might be a better situation for you cause at the end of the day you could go home and relax instead of stressing yourself out working around the clock.
good luck
mini
Thanks mini.

I'm currently working for music stores, music schools, pawn shops, associations, etc. But Sherbrooke is not a large city. So I must open up the borders to make sure there a steady flow of work.

What actually caused the financial problems are the employees not the lack of work. For exemple, I must redo the work they've done. That's on my time not on theirs because they are gone and had their salary anyway (you cannot not pay your employees, it's the law). And the loss of contracts by their negligence hurt too because it was money planned in the budget.

I try to keep the moral up (though I'm fairly down atm). If I were a bad boss, I would have understand. But it was not the case.

The late/redo pile is slowly lowering a bit. I wish I had another set of arms to make things go faster. I hate to have my customers waiting. I can't help but to stress about it.

One thing is sure, I'm not about open up my business again and give my trust like I've done. I've got months to catch up. I had many plans for Muzik Elektronix for the future. Obviously, those plans are on the backburner.

I might start looking for retired technicians. They know what's the field like and know their stuff and surely some would be happy to get out of retirement even for a few days a week. I might take my chance there. The hardware store my wife works for hire retired people. As with everything, some are really good, some aren't. Couldn't be worse than what I've been through with some Mr. Wonderful out-from-school.

~Steph
MuzikElektronix.com
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Sorry, they aren't free

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff

Post by Maschinengeist » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:34 am

Update

The health ain't too good these days. Don't worry, I am not dying. Just feeling weak and exhausted. Working capabilities are limited. All the instruments repairs on the website's list are progessing (slowly). Wish I could do them faster but can't. Sorry to everyone to have you waiting. I am not doing this on purpose. I hate to wait myself. Besides, what would be the point to delay just for the sake of it? It would only give me a bad name (I didn't work that hard to lose my good reputation). No Muzik Elektronix has not turned into a Wine Country! Bad service is not my specialty.

Thank you everyone for your understanding. This is a difficult period for me. I make this public for the sake of transparence and to remind my customers that I do care. Please bear with the old guy. I'm working towards solutions. Muzik Elektronix might have taken a few blows but trust me that the round ain't over yet: I'm preparing a new strategy for 2008. My goal when I've created Muzik Elektronix was (and still is) to offer the best products and the best services at the best price. To offer an alternative and a place where all electronic musical instruments can be repaired as they should. Ok the hired techs weren't up to it. To h**l, I'm gonna do it alone for a time - for the time to find the right techs. I'm not dead yet nor is Muzik Elektronix.

Regards

~Steph
MuzikElektronix.com
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Sorry, they aren't free

justinvm

Post by justinvm » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:41 am

If there's one thing i've learnt in my 21 years of life it's not to let your passions become your burdens.

Best of luck Steph, hope things improve for you.

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff

Post by Maschinengeist » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:58 am

I'll write it again because some people can't read or can't understand what I'm writing.

I AM SICK. COLON CANCER. AND ALONE IN THE SHOP.

Want to send me emails and bully me. Go on, send them. All that's important is your $100 toys. f**k the tech, right? Oppss, you just found the wrong guy to throw s**t at. I am not impressed. I'm nobody's b***h nor do I kiss a*s. I'll be the best of friend with the friendly ones. But I don't bow down for anyone, be it a bedroom producer or big business. You don't give a s**t of what's happening, you are eager to get your stuff back? No problem, I'm at your service... Or was.

Here's my official reply: your stuff is in the mail, back to you. Learn electronics and do it yourself since you are so smart. Or find another tech that will charge way more than I. Not my problem anymore.

Did I do the delays on purpose? No. It's been explained here, in emails and on my website. What's YOUR excuse? Tell me, what is the advantage to delay jobs? None! It's not good customer service, not good for the reputation and I DON'T GET PAID!!! My best move would be to put out c**p and grab the dough, right? This is not I, you are confusing me with the previous tech that screwed you. I never screwed anyone. And I fired my techs because of that. But you knew it already if you've read my blog. But no, you're too elite to read.

Go on and tarnish my reputation all you want. Call me what you will. But I've been honest and been open book with all my customers and my problems. Yep, this is a dark time for me and my business.

You don't care, neither should I.

Sorry for my bad temper.

~Steph
MuzikElektronix.com
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Sorry, they aren't free

9mm

Post by 9mm » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:20 am

Steph,

you always been helpful in your emails with me. and despite the overload of work, you get back to me promptly, and far faster than companies with an entire department devoted to answering questions. just want to say how much i appreciate it, and wish you the best of luck.
AX60|AX80|JD990|S612+MD280|SQ80|Micron|ER1mkII|RY30|TG33|VT1

Wanted: super bass station, drum station v2 or d-station, evolver

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:47 am

9mm wrote:Steph,

you always been helpful in your emails with me. and despite the overload of work, you get back to me promptly, and far faster than companies with an entire department devoted to answering questions. just want to say how much i appreciate it, and wish you the best of luck.
I second that. I'm sorry to hear about your condition, I hope you get to feeling better. If only there were more people like you in the world, then you could hire them and you'd have a chain of stores. :)
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!