A Gear Luddite with a specific Vocal to MIDI question

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
VeroniqueC

A Gear Luddite with a specific Vocal to MIDI question

Post by VeroniqueC » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:13 am

Greetings to all. I am here as a fish out of water, but I seek specific answers that no one in my real world sphere seems to know, and I know many highly trained and accomplished musicians indeed, as I work full time in the music industry as a performer and lyricist.

Let me do the preliminaries: I am a trained ballet dancer (that means my body is a percussion instrument) but I am not trained in music theory and I have no time nor desire to be, because being a "hummer" suits me just fine. I am an award-winning singer/lyricist and record producer.

I have successfully co-written with many other accomplished musicians, but I am at the point want to be able make my own compositions without depending on someone else for that.

What I need and want is software or a plug in that allows vocals to be converted to other instrument sounds and from those files to be able to print out the sheet music so that I can hire real musicians to play what I've composed.

The only thing remotely like this that I've found is the V2M, Vocal 2 Midi device here: http://www.geocities.com/vocal2midi/

I know this is probably the result of someone's hobby, and I know the instruments sound lame, but since all I need is something that will help me SKETCH, rather than make concert-hall ready compositions, it seems this item would do the trick for me.

Unless someone here knows of something else.

Please remember, I am interested in low to no learning curve. I am a gear luddite and avowed hummer.

Thank you kindly for your assistance.

Best regards to everyone here!

Veronique

WDW

Post by WDW » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:12 pm

Hi, Veronique. Welcome to VSE, land of the anti-Luddites. :lol:

I believe that Melodyne CRE8 and Studio both have audio-to-MIDI capabilities, although I have not used the feature personally. You can check out the product at the vendor's website: http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?i ... comparison

Demo versions are available online directly from Celemony.

By the way, please let me know what you find, because I would like to start composing in a similar manner as to what you have proposed and am curious how well such a method works. Thanks.

Good luck!

WD

VeroniqueC

Post by VeroniqueC » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:03 am

Thanks WD!

crow

Post by crow » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:12 am

This stuff is STILL in its infancy. Just thinking about it makes me dizzy. However Sonar 7 has a plugin, using Rolands V-Vocal technology, that can make midi notes from vocal input. There are many caveats. You can try the demo at Cakewalk.com i believe.
Never tried it. Stuck at Sonar 4. But if it makes you rich, send me a penny for Sonar 7! :idea: :shock:
...and ah just thought, cuntin well hit it!
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

VeroniqueC

Post by VeroniqueC » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:58 am

Thanks Crow. This stuff is all way more complex that I need or want, so I will probably try that V2M device I mentioned in my initial post.

As the saying goes, there are many paths up the mountain but the view from the top is the same. The point being I want to get up the mountain, not spend my life shopping for the gear to get there.

:-)

crow

Post by crow » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:04 am

Well, there are plenty mountains here in Scotland. Aye ye might get up but will ye get back doon ?? As ye left?? Lots dinnae.
It might seem complicated. Mainly because it is. the fact of turning audio to midi would f**k drive cunts tae drink that understand it.
All the rest of us need tae do is work with what they provide. :shock:

Its naw perfect yet. By a long way.
see ye when ye get frustrated. :idea:
...and ah just thought, cuntin well hit it!
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:40 am

There was also this weird thing:

Breakaway Vocalizer 1000

I've never seen or heard one, but it seems like it would be fun to play with. It's got legit synth hardware inside.

~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.