I need a keyboard tech . . . OB-8

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
BluMunk
Gear: RD700GX
Korg M3-61/Radias
Dave Smith PER
Virus Snow
FS1R
JV-2080/Xpanded
D-550
Matrix 6R
Proteus
QSR
Band: Sneezeguard

I need a keyboard tech . . . OB-8

Post by BluMunk » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:28 am

Well, I just got an OB-8, and it looks beautiful and . . .

. . .

. . . and it looks beautiful.

It works basically, but there seem to be some issues.

Three of the keys trigger the note again as I hold them down.

The voices seem to fade in and out intensity-wise (particularly as I add additional voices).

Some of the knobs are a bit staticy.

There may be other things; I'm not sure. I'm a little bummed out, so I turned it off for a bit. Many of the patches seem to have been erased; not sure if that's just through use or if there's something wrong with the memory. My true analog synth background is pretty minimal, but it's clear that this one is not operating up to snuff.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there's anyone here who works as a tech, or who could recommend someone.

I'm in Vermont, and I'd rather be able to drive it to and from a shop as opposed to shipping (save a bunch of money), so anyone in a triangle between Montreal/Albany/Boston would be great.

plus321

Post by plus321 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:43 am

Well, your velocity shouldn't be fading in or out because, according to this very site, the OB-8 doesn't have velocity.

My Pro-One has the same retriggering issue and it is a simple fix if you have the time. If it uses j-wires, then the j-wire bar needs cleaned or the j-wires are bent. Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you for this issue. If it is the case, then just search this site for j-wire and there should be information about cleaning them and the bar.

For the patch memory, the previous user probably cleared his or her patches before they sold it to you so you wouldn't use them.

Finally, I'm not sure how to fix scratchy pots. Some will tell you contact cleaner, but everyone that I have ever spoken to that knows anything about electronics repair says to NOT use anything like that. Perhaps you could just replace them if it is cheap enough.

rjd2

Post by rjd2 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:47 am

if you are willing to ship, wes taggart at analogics does a lot of oberheim stuff. sure there's someone in boston.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:23 pm

ebay purchase? its unreasonable to think any vintage synth of that age is not going to need at least minor servicing at this point in time, unless its been serviced recently.
the ob8 uses the same type of key contacts as the polysix. its NOT a j-wire mechanism. sometimes repairs easy, sometimes its not. its possible the battery is dying or the previous owner just wiped out those programs. or the problem could be worse. good luck, let us know what happens. expect to pay quite a bit for any known tech to work on it. if you give up, we do buy broken gear.
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

BluMunk
Gear: RD700GX
Korg M3-61/Radias
Dave Smith PER
Virus Snow
FS1R
JV-2080/Xpanded
D-550
Matrix 6R
Proteus
QSR
Band: Sneezeguard

Post by BluMunk » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:23 pm

Well, playing on this a little more, the problem is as follows:

Playing the same note over and over, there is a distinct tonal difference every four voices. Four will have 'bite' to them, and then the next four sound like I have cotton in my ears (playing two notes at once, this happens every two chords).

So far, that seems to be the biggest issue. I'm trying to go through with the manual, so I don't end up assuming something isn't working just because I don't know how to use it. :)

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:31 pm

Your OB-8 needs a tune up. One (or more) of the voice boards is out of adjustment relative to the other.

As you strike one note over and over, the synth triggers each voice in succession, so any inconsistencies between the voices will become apparent.

As part of the tune up, have the key contacts and pots cleaned. This will resolve your other issues (notes retriggering and scratchy pots).

A little TLC and your OB-8 will sound sweet again.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

voicedood

Post by voicedood » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:13 pm

Sounds exactly what my OB8 sounded like when I got it about a year ago. Completely on the other coast but Greg Montalbano/Analog Synth Service in Oakland CA fixed mine up in no time for not much $. He's a great guy. But he's only an hour and a half from me...

Mind if I asked how much you paid?
Chronologically speaking: Performer, Prophet 5, SH2, Juno 60, Jupiter 8, OB8, CZ 101, Emax II, Sirius, MEK

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:17 am

Where are you located?

Everything sounds like typical OB ailments. My OBX-A had similar problems, until I had a good servicing done.