Roland W-30: Any advice?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Roland W-30: Any advice?

Postby justin_havu » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:02 am

My friend just bought a used W-30 for his son for Christmas. Is there anything specific they need to know about this synth?
Waveforms, and filters, and knobs. Oh my!
justin_havu

Gear: Korg 01/W Pro X, Kurzweil PC2x, K2000VP, Alesis Quadrasynth, QS6.2, Roland JV-80, D-10, D-110, Custom-built PC running Sonar X2
Band: Trial By Faith

Postby waveterm » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:06 am

Does it come with any manual or librarydisks ?

WT
Just a guy with a bunch of blue things.......now, move on !
waveterm

Gear: A lot more than you

Postby Z » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:14 am

Just as long as he has the system (boot) disk, he should be OK. THere was an optional SCSI expansion that was made, but I think only certain CR-ROM and Hard Drives can be used.

I remember seeing a W-30 and/or S Series website a few years ago with downloadable system disks and sounds.

Great keyboard in its time. It was the center of my rig in the early 90's

Z
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby justin_havu » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:28 am

I found the website and downloaded the OS image file, as well as Teledisk, so if it doesn't come with the disks, I'll be able to make a backup disk.
justin_havu

Gear: Korg 01/W Pro X, Kurzweil PC2x, K2000VP, Alesis Quadrasynth, QS6.2, Roland JV-80, D-10, D-110, Custom-built PC running Sonar X2

Postby Bitexion » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:38 am

I hope you have disks that the synth can actually read. These old synths usually want uber rare 820kB disks (used in the late 80's on Amigas and Ataris). You can't get those new anywhere anymore. I'm not sure when the W30 was made so it could have a newer 1.44MB diskdrive. You should check that out. I tried to get disks for my SQ-80 (from 1988), it was nigh on impossible to find. But some nice guy on the forum in Portugal sent me a bunch of Atari disks he didn't need.

That synth is totally useless without the boot disk at least. Should have some disks with samples on too, as the onboard presets are really dull.
The one I messed with in a store had a whole box of disks with samples too. It was used. Lots of cool sounds. It was prodigy's main synth on the earliest period. Of course, Liam sampled all his stuff on his own.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby Yoozer » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:40 am

I think you mean 720kB disks, and they're called "Double Density".

They're not that rare, but it usually requires that you buy someone else's Amiga including the scavenged-together software collection and start formatting ;). (which is a waste, lots of nice stuff in those collections, usually).

eBay usually has something - search for dd floppy 3.5"

If the W30 supports MIDI sample dump, you could use that, too. Sound Forge can do those dumps, but I don't know if it'll receive them. It's not fast, but it'll do t he job, and the W30's memory isn't that big anyway. Otherwise, hook it up to SCSI and get a SCSI ZIP drive for it.

Another way is to format a HD (high density) disk as a DD disk.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Bitexion » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:52 am

I know what DD disks are, I had several Amigas from the 80's through the 90's (before harddrives became affordable). But the SQ80 specifically wants 800KB disks (or specially formatted 720K disks I dunno). Says so in the manual. It needs to be formatted inside the synth, won't work if you format it from a PC. But that might just be the SQ80.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby toonelind » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:22 am

dd disk can be easlily made from usual hd floppy by taping over the second hole in the disk (not the write protect one).

w-30 is great, nice powerful lofi sound. the weakest point of it is the floppy driver. i used to make whole songs with its 15 sec sample memory :)
toonelind

Postby justin_havu » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:51 pm

I just got word that my friend will be picking it up on Thursday. He's supposed to let me know what it came with. I know about taping over the 2nd hole of a 2HD disk, I just have to get a USB-Floppy drive for my laptop!
justin_havu

Postby Sealed » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:19 am

I always use normal 2HD disks with W-30/S-550.

And there are tons of libraries and utilities:
http://www.generalconcepts.com/sgroup/
[url=http://deepsynthesis.net]Deep Synthesis Page: info and .mp3 sound examples
Recent updates: Roland D-110 / YAMAHA SU700 / KORG S3
[/url]
Sealed

Postby Analogue Crazy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:44 pm

Hi i have a W-30 and have used it as a backup for the past year. Try out the sampling section. It sounds really great.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,
Analogue Crazy

Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Postby justin_havu » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:23 pm

Thanks, guys. My friend's W30 did come with an OS disk and I was able to get a PDF of the manual from the Roland website. I'm supposed to visit them on Sunday so I'll let you guys know how it's going. I'll tell you this: if I didn't come across a TS10 a year ago at Daddy's in Portsmouth, I probably would have gotten the W30 there instead. Oh well. When I sold my TS ,though, I was able to get four times what I paid for it at Daddy's!!
justin_havu

Re: Teledisk

Postby placemat » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:11 pm

justin_havu wrote:I found the website and downloaded the OS image file, as well as Teledisk, so if it doesn't come with the disks, I'll be able to make a backup disk.

I've been searching everywhere for the Teledisk program but it seems that ALL links are dead.
Can anyone please help me out as I need a Windows program to copy the sound disks?
I will be most grateful! :shock:
placemat

Return to HELP!