Oberheim Matrix 1000 Control/Editing

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
supermel74

Oberheim Matrix 1000 Control/Editing

Post by supermel74 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:32 am

Can the Matrix 1000 be realtime controlled/edited with a standard hardware midi controller like the Behringer BCR 2000 or can it only be edited via software?

uncle silas
No Longer Registered

Post by uncle silas » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:06 am

I have a 6r and it doesn't take kindly to CC control at all. Especially with the envelope. It stutters and sometimes locks up for short periods.

I've heard that Sysex controllers will work more smoothly. I don't have one to test though...

I look at my 6r more like a preset synth than a real-time synth. It'll do some crazy s**t though.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:21 am

you have a couple MIDI CCs you can assign into the modulation matrix, seen in the screen capture below of Unisyn and then Galaxy. it also responds to SYSEX control (that's how software editors work, of course)... but i still need to program a realtime example to see how practical it is. i have had much success with MIDI CC control in the mod. matrix.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:30 am

Either way, I guess 1000 presets would probably cover just about anything I could reasonably want. Thanks.

vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Re: Oberheim Matrix 1000 Control/Editing

Post by vcs3 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:35 pm

supermel74 wrote:Can the Matrix 1000 be realtime controlled/edited with a standard hardware midi controller like the Behringer BCR 2000 or can it only be edited via software?
Yes it can.
And if you use this software http://www.mk2software.com/matrix/index.php is a piece of cake.

P.S.- I don't know the guy that make it! I'm just a costumer.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:41 pm

I belive theres also an access programmer available for it, should go for cheap on ebay.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:36 pm

Joey wrote:I belive theres also an access programmer available for it, should go for cheap on ebay.
Um, they are rare as h**l and sell for more than twice that of a M1000. There is nothing that works well with the M1k/M6 as far as comprehensive realtime controls go since the processors cant handle large midi streams and choke. I spent days trying every possible combination of hardware and software to give my m1k some form of control surface and everything had the same results. The only thing that did work for any usable realtime control was using the assignable CCs as modulation sources. Anything sysex would only allow adjustment of parameters one at a time and with no notes playing. If you played a note and tried to tweak a parameter via sysex, it would freak out.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:40 pm

Altitude wrote:
Joey wrote:I belive theres also an access programmer available for it, should go for cheap on ebay.
Um, they are rare as h**l and sell for more than twice that of a M1000. There is nothing that works well with the M1k/M6 as far as comprehensive realtime controls go since the processors cant handle large midi streams and choke. I spent days trying every possible combination of hardware and software to give my m1k some form of control surface and everything had the same results. The only thing that did work for any usable realtime control was using the assignable CCs as modulation sources. Anything sysex would only allow adjustment of parameters one at a time and with no notes playing. If you played a note and tried to tweak a parameter via sysex, it would freak out.
edit:

I didn't realize they were that rare...
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

soundsubs

Post by soundsubs » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:03 am

I was able to make a semi usable M1000 editor for the Access Virus TI using sysex. Most parameters adjust fine without clogging the buss, but sometimes it chokes. its too bad that you cant thin the amount of sysex going outbound, or it might work. as i read on the internet, its possible that the sysex was incomplete, as in unfinished on the oberheim mfg plant.

i also bought the ob6000 for it. thats pretty great, but still has similar issues.

pm me if you want it.
doepfer modular, moog rme, cwejman s1 mk2, virus TI Polar, nord modular+G2, kurzweil K2500xs + RS, e-mu proteus 2000, alesis andromeda, dave smith prophet 08 rack, arp avatar, octave cat, emax, speck xtramix

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:08 pm

soundsubs wrote:I was able to make a semi usable M1000 editor for the Access Virus TI using sysex. Most parameters adjust fine without clogging the buss, but sometimes it chokes. its too bad that you cant thin the amount of sysex going outbound, or it might work. as i read on the internet, its possible that the sysex was incomplete, as in unfinished on the oberheim mfg plant.

i also bought the ob6000 for it. thats pretty great, but still has similar issues.

pm me if you want it.
The sysex is about as simple as it gets (very short string, one variable per control) and I think the midi implementation is wonderful since you can control any parameter possible. The problem is the hardware cant deal with sysex messages and normal note data at the same time

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:54 pm

i adore the sound of this synth despite it being a turd to program.
just lovely pads, odd keys, strings & fx noises.
it's the only synth i've ever kept that is lousy to program (ROMplers included)

long attack EGs absolutely rule the universe
i can only imagine how delicious a Matrix12/Xpander must be....
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Post by tunedLow » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:41 pm

Altitude wrote: The sysex is about as simple as it gets (very short string, one variable per control)
I thought sysex was variable length?

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:47 pm

tunedLow wrote:
Altitude wrote: The sysex is about as simple as it gets (very short string, one variable per control)
Sysex strings can be but on the m1000 they very short (i.e. F0 10 06 06 15 40 F7 is cutoff) with only one value that changes per prameter (the "15" defines the parameter the "40" its value). Patch dump strings will be much longer obviously.

a xmas present: Here is a Cubase Device Panel for the M1000
http://no-ho.com/m1kpanel.zip

This is not mine, it is made by Cykong, all credit goes to him

http://www.cykong.com/CubaseSX/SXpanels.htm

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:29 pm

Altitude wrote:
tunedLow wrote:
Sysex strings can be but on the m1000 they very short (i.e. F0 10 06 06 15 40 F7 is cutoff) with only one value that changes per prameter (the "15" defines the parameter the "40" its value). Patch dump strings will be much longer obviously.

a xmas present: Here is a Cubase Device Panel for the M1000
http://no-ho.com/m1kpanel.zip

This is not mine, it is made by Cykong, all credit goes to him

http://www.cykong.com/CubaseSX/SXpanels.htm
thanks for this post... i'll slap together a M1000 template for the novation ReMOTE, too.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:50 am

Altitude wrote:The problem is the hardware cant deal with sysex messages and normal note data at the same time
Interesting... I haven't run into that program with my M1000. I've done some real-time parameter tweaking with mine and it seems to deal with it OK. The M6 is another matter... :?