Oberheim Matrix 1000 Control/Editing

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:49 pm

cornutt wrote:
Altitude wrote:The problem is the hardware cant deal with sysex messages and normal note data at the same time
Interesting... I haven't run into that program with my M1000. I've done some real-time parameter tweaking with mine and it seems to deal with it OK. The M6 is another matter... :?
try holding a chord and sweeping the filter at the same time

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:35 pm

Altitude wrote:
soundsubs wrote:I was able to make a semi usable M1000 editor for the Access Virus TI using sysex. Most parameters adjust fine without clogging the buss, but sometimes it chokes. its too bad that you cant thin the amount of sysex going outbound, or it might work. as i read on the internet, its possible that the sysex was incomplete, as in unfinished on the oberheim mfg plant.

i also bought the ob6000 for it. thats pretty great, but still has similar issues.

pm me if you want it.
The sysex is about as simple as it gets (very short string, one variable per control) and I think the midi implementation is wonderful since you can control any parameter possible. The problem is the hardware cant deal with sysex messages and normal note data at the same time
thinning out the SYSEX is exactly what i was thinking- if i ran my novation ReMOTE through MaxMSP, i should be able to write a patch that will only send a maximum of two SYSEX messages per second. realtime SYSEX continuous control like you would with a MIDI CC is definitely not happening, it clearly chokes on the data.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:52 pm

xpander wrote:
Altitude wrote:
soundsubs wrote:I was able to make a semi usable M1000 editor for the Access Virus TI using sysex. Most parameters adjust fine without clogging the buss, but sometimes it chokes. its too bad that you cant thin the amount of sysex going outbound, or it might work. as i read on the internet, its possible that the sysex was incomplete, as in unfinished on the oberheim mfg plant.

i also bought the ob6000 for it. thats pretty great, but still has similar issues.

pm me if you want it.
The sysex is about as simple as it gets (very short string, one variable per control) and I think the midi implementation is wonderful since you can control any parameter possible. The problem is the hardware cant deal with sysex messages and normal note data at the same time
thinning out the SYSEX is exactly what i was thinking- if i ran my novation ReMOTE through MaxMSP, i should be able to write a patch that will only send a maximum of two SYSEX messages per second. realtime SYSEX continuous control like you would with a MIDI CC is definitely not happening, it clearly chokes on the data.
Would be worth trying but I think the problem lays with how the synth deals with sysex not the frequency of it (vs CC's), I had no problems sweeping the filter and tweaking the resonance when those were assigned to external controllers within the patch and I could do this while playing back notes reliably. When I went to the actual sysex for those parameters it would immediately cut the note off and stall even if I sent it just one change

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:38 pm

yeah, i wouldn't be surprised to learn that the M1000 has to switch from a "performance" mode into an "edit" mode momentarily to handle any SYSEX changes.

sepiakeys
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Hardware Synthesizers and Guitar Effects
Band: There will be Lions

Post by sepiakeys » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:48 pm

Probably the two best ways to get control of the Matrix 1000 parameters:

http://cgi.ebay.ch/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... otohosting

http://www.mk2software.com/matrix/screens.php

The second one is far cheaper...
Good programming is worth more than the most expensive synthesizer.

FlavioB

Re: Oberheim Matrix 1000 Control/Editing

Post by FlavioB » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:52 pm

Hi everybody... ok - this is an old thread... anyway: did anybody install firmware 1.16 on its Matrix-1000 and report some feedbacks about using external hardware controllers?
I got mine on 1.16 but didn't have time to test yet.

And, BTW: if anybody is interested, I'm burning batches of 1.16 firmware chips and sell/ship them worldwide. PM me if you're interested!

Regards,
F.

baz99

Post by baz99 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:54 pm

For hardware control of my M1000 I'm using a Kenton ControlFreak SE (the version with 16 sliders), it comes with a built in config for the M1000, so does not require any programming or customising.

For patch editing I'm using my self written editor, which I will release as soon as I have fixed some last minor bugs and created a web page for it:

FlavioB

Post by FlavioB » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:52 pm

Hi baz - your editor looks nice!
Will take a try on it as soon as you release it!
F.

baz99

Post by baz99 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:17 am

FlavioB wrote:Hi baz - your editor looks nice!
Thanks! The editor is optimized for the 116 firmware as you can see on the top right it even has a slider for unison detune. 8-)
Of course it works with older firmware too, but I'd recommend at least 113 as the older firmware versions have a few well known bugs that affect editing of a few parameters.

I have tried to make it as easy to use as possible, all parameters are visible at the same time (no multiple views or tabs to switch back and forth) and all sliders can be controlled either the normal way (click on it and hold then push up or down) or even easier by simply hovering anywhere over the slider and using the mouse scroll wheel to adjust the value. I find this method much quicker and easier on the hand muscles than the normal 'click, hold and push' method.

All parameter changes are of course transmitted in real time and to avoid overloading the processor of the Matrix-1000 the editor enforces a 20ms gap between subsequent parameter value changes.

Basically with the 116 firmware and my editor, editing the Matrix finally becomes a pain-free experience, no lock-ups or hanging sounds or other weird effects as used to be often the case with the standard firmware and other editors.

BTW, the colour scheme of the editor and some other aspects of the look and feel can be completely customised, so if you don't like the look you can change it to your preferred colours.

Sadly I'm unable to do a Mac version, the editor is Windows and Linux only.

FlavioB

Post by FlavioB » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:35 am

... then it won't fit my setup: I'm Mac user only!!! :-(

gregsully

Post by gregsully » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:38 am

baz99 wrote:For patch editing I'm using my self written editor, which I will release as soon as I have fixed some last minor bugs and created a web page for it:
Hey baz,, when is this available? I'm really interested in checking it out.

Explorer
Gear: not enough space here

Post by Explorer » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:53 pm

There is also a new programmer available for several synthesizers.

Check: http://www.stereoping-shop.com/de/synth-controller/

FlavioB

Post by FlavioB » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:08 pm

Explorer wrote:There is also a new programmer available for several synthesizers.

Check: http://www.stereoping-shop.com/de/synth-controller/
Hi Explorer - not "new" per se, those controllers are already well-known... anyway, not quite "cheap" as well as being DIY kits...
Also, a very good hardware programmer is Kiwi Technics' one:

http://kiwitechnics.com/patcheditor.htm

F.

baz99

Post by baz99 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:15 pm

gregsully wrote:Hey baz,, when is this available? I'm really interested in checking it out.
Hopefully soon, I'm doing it in my spare time so it's always hard for me to predict how much time I can spend on it (in the last couple of months I had no time at all for it :( ), I only have to fix one more bug which I haven't figured out yet, and then write the documentation and the web site.

I suggest that you bookmark the web site and check it every couple of weeks or so, but I will also announce it here and on other fourms when it's ready.