MC 808 troubleshooting

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

MC 808 troubleshooting

Post by TrondC » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:43 pm

I've been enjoying my new MC 808 for about a month now, and I really like the unit. It has a very good sequencer, tons of polyphony, can store 100 times more samples than my ESX (when maxed out..) and the onboard drum sounds and some of the other sounds are very good.

But.. It's a bit frustrating to use at times, especially it bugs me that there's only a "undo" button for when you do something wrong (or I can delete the entire part, which usually consists of a lot of different drum sounds for drums, and thus very annoying), and there are a couple of things I can't seem to find answers to anywhere in the manual (which is 50% helpful and 50% confusing).

So, first question:
When using the TR-rec, I can't find any way to edit beyond the first 16 steps, meaning I can't use the TR-rec for other than very short loops, which I am trying to avoid since I can record reeeeally long patterns and thus way more interesting drums. On my simple but beloved electibes, this is a breeze, but on this machine, that is supposed to be in a whole other league than the tribes, I just can't figure out how to do this. The manual says nothing helpful.

moving to 2nd:
When I found that I could record patterns that were longer than 4x16 steps, I was thrilled as this is a big step forward from the electribes. But, I had a 4x16 pattern going with some really nice drums. Then I decided to try and make it a 8x16 pattern, but after I figured that the tr-rec fuction did not work like on the electribes, I decided to just delete the last half of the newly created pattern. But after I did, I couldn't get the pattern back to 4x16 again, so now I have a pattern with some really nice stuff going on on the first 64 measures, then dead silence for 64 measures. And I can't find a way to turn it back to a 4x16 pattern again (Does this make any sense? A bit hard to explain what I mean here..)

Oh, and why can't I delete pactory preset samples to make room for my own? I mean, I couldn't even sample a 4 second drum loop before the MC was full. Of cource I'm getting the 512MB ram upgrade and a CF card, but until I can find one that meets with the specs needed (which proved to be quite hard here in Norway), but until I can get the memory upgraded, I can't load it with new samples because the factory samples all are protected and can't be deleted.

Also, the fact that editing of the effects needs a computer to be done is just silly.. I mean, I love the fact that it has a computer editor, but you shouldn't NEED to have a computer to get full use out of it..

I'm just caught in the middle here, I really love the 808, but the number of small issues that's bugging me is really starting to add up now.. I really want to hear that there is a simple solution to my "problems", and that I can't figure it out because the manual sucks big time rather than that the machine actually can't do theese (very simple) things I want it to.

Any other 808 users troubled with stuff like this? It was part a present from my Girlfriend, so I won't get rid of it no matter what, I just want to enjoy it without being annoyed at small things every time I use it..

any thoughts or tips highly appreciated :)

ficusrock
Gear: Access Virus TI, NI Maschine

Same here.

Post by ficusrock » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:17 am

I've had some of the same problems with the MC-808, but I just got it and I haven't had time to dig in and find out what I'm doing wrong. I'll keep you posted when I find out more.

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Re: MC 808 troubleshooting

Post by BlackGnosis » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:44 am

TrondC wrote: But.. It's a bit frustrating to use at times, especially it bugs me that there's only a "undo" button for when you do something wrong (or I can delete the entire part, which usually consists of a lot of different drum sounds for drums, and thus very annoying), and there are a couple of things I can't seem to find answers to anywhere in the manual (which is 50% helpful and 50% confusing).
The best advice I can give about that at this time is to be extra careful wiht your programming, its also very difficult to shorten the duration, I think its an OS problem personally..
TrondC wrote:
So, first question:
When using the TR-rec, I can't find any way to edit beyond the first 16 steps, meaning I can't use the TR-rec for other than very short loops, which I am trying to avoid since I can record reeeeally long patterns and thus way more interesting drums. On my simple but beloved electibes, this is a breeze, but on this machine, that is supposed to be in a whole other league than the tribes, I just can't figure out how to do this. The manual says nothing helpful.
press >> and << where sequencer controller part is [page 14, panel part 14], this will move to the next group of steps. |<< puts you at start... Don't forget when you do copy pasting it does it through MULTIPLIERS,
exampole copy measure 1-3 out of 4 pasting it on 4 with 1 multipolier will give you 7 measures total. Pastong it with multiplier 2 will give you 10 measures total. I'll give a more thorough explanation if you need =)
TrondC wrote: moving to 2nd:
When I found that I could record patterns that were longer than 4x16 steps, I was thrilled as this is a big step forward from the electribes. But, I had a 4x16 pattern going with some really nice drums. Then I decided to try and make it a 8x16 pattern, but after I figured that the tr-rec fuction did not work like on the electribes, I decided to just delete the last half of the newly created pattern. But after I did, I couldn't get the pattern back to 4x16 again, so now I have a pattern with some really nice stuff going on on the first 64 measures, then dead silence for 64 measures. And I can't find a way to turn it back to a 4x16 pattern again (Does this make any sense? A bit hard to explain what I mean here..)
The shorten duratoin function evades me too =( I think its not working on the current OS
TrondC wrote: Oh, and why can't I delete pactory preset samples to make room for my own? I mean, I couldn't even sample a 4 second drum loop before the MC was full. Of cource I'm getting the 512MB ram upgrade and a CF card, but until I can find one that meets with the specs needed (which proved to be quite hard here in Norway), but until I can get the memory upgraded, I can't load it with new samples because the factory samples all are protected and can't be deleted.
Turn off system protection, hook it up to a computer using the USB instructions on boook page 131 [my book code is 04126212 dated april 1, 2006] It seems to need midi in and out connected as well.
TrondC wrote: Also, the fact that editing of the effects needs a computer to be done is just silly.. I mean, I love the fact that it has a computer editor, but you shouldn't NEED to have a computer to get full use out of it..
effects are mentioned in the walk through on page 36
TrondC wrote: Any other 808 users troubled with stuff like this? It was part a present from my Girlfriend, so I won't get rid of it no matter what, I just want to enjoy it without being annoyed at small things every time I use it..

any thoughts or tips highly appreciated :)

Hang onto it, also when you start TR rec curser over a few times and set your rec measure length to the duration you want, I always set mine to want cause I work on it one part at a time =)

Hope my imput is helpful. I can transpose instructions from my book if I need to.

However I am a bit frustrated with the MC-808 as I'm used to using my EMX-1 which I do regret selling terribly, however the polyphonic control and the ability to use my own samples and control other instruments made it very valuable.. I like using my MC-808 and Jp-8080 together, if you are using a channel to control another instrument and don't want the MC-808 to sound simultaneously set your mode to "pattern" shift + pad 13 and edit your patten parameter and curser over to output assign, set your out put to dir [assuming that your using main and master outs without direct being hooked up] I use this setup as I use some instrument sand drums on the 808 while using my JP-8080's multitimbral controls. this cuts some flexibility out but I like my 808's effects and use my own reverb [my boss RV-5 or the behringer mixers effects] after everything anyways

My owners manual codes [found on the back of the book on the lower right hand corner of the owners manual] are 04126212 06-4-2N and its dated april 1, 2006. to my knowledge all MC-808s being produced carry this owners manual so I will post with page numbers from it
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Korg KP3 & Zero 4

Post by TrondC » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:59 pm

thanx a lot :) But I mean I want to control the amount of reverb/delay etc rather than just select from a list of pre-programmed effects.., as far as I can see, this can't be done on the 808, and if it can't be done using the editor, then I don't know what to do.. I don't have much outboard, and the little I have are mostly mono-pedals..

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by BlackGnosis » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:24 pm

TrondC wrote:thanx a lot :) But I mean I want to control the amount of reverb/delay etc rather than just select from a list of pre-programmed effects.., as far as I can see, this can't be done on the 808, and if it can't be done using the editor, then I don't know what to do.. I don't have much outboard, and the little I have are mostly mono-pedals..
is mono so terrible? theres always a way around things, but effects areny something I take advantage of on my roland, just compress, master it, send to mixer and let the mixer mix in my effects =)
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Korg KP3 & Zero 4

Post by TrondC » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:12 am

well, thing is, I guess I'm just spiled with the electribes and the fact that editing almost any parameter is just a turn of a knob, and I've always used the onboard effects, and I assumed the 808 would have atleast as good an effect section as the tribes... I'm installing the software again today, and maybe the editor will work properly this time :)

btw, thanx for your help, it is really appreiated :)

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by BlackGnosis » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:21 am

TrondC wrote:well, thing is, I guess I'm just spiled with the electribes and the fact that editing almost any parameter is just a turn of a knob, and I've always used the onboard effects, and I assumed the 808 would have atleast as good an effect section as the tribes... I'm installing the software again today, and maybe the editor will work properly this time :)

btw, thanx for your help, it is really appreciated :)
oh believe me, I had a EMX-1 and I regret letting it go >.<

however te problems I had with it were there, no poly control and if I wanted polyphonic sound, there went my available mono synths, and if I couldn't upload my own drum sounds either =/ so the roland DOES do things my EMX cant, its just its a pain to use at the moment, I'm waiting for a MUCH needed OS update...

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Korg KP3 & Zero 4

Post by TrondC » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:47 am

yeah, I realize that the MC is indeed has a lot more potential strength than both the ESX and the EMX, but there are things I like about either. Some time in the future, my rig will hopefully consist of EMX+ESX+MC808 and a bunch ouf outboard :)

But you are right. I need to be more parient with the 808, I remember when I fist got the ESX, it took like 3 weeks until I realized the difference between the Keyboard parts and the drum parts :p I can't say i'm a quick learner :p

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by BlackGnosis » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:43 pm

Figured out how to shorten the song! prolly should make this its own post =)