Choosing a CV to Midi converter

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Analogicus

Choosing a CV to Midi converter

Post by Analogicus » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:36 pm

I find myself in need of a CV to Midi converter… specifically one that can handle both gate/trigger to note on-off midi data as well as CV to midi note value. I've been thinking about the Analogue Systems RS300, but the Doepfer A-192 looks like it might do the job as well…

Anyone have any experience with either of these? Any thoughts to share that might assist in the decision making?
Latest Addition: Harvestman Malgorithm

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:30 pm

First note: I think you meant the A-190. The A-192 converts CV to MIDI.

Haven't used either of these, since my modular is large format. However, just from reading the specs, it looks like the RS300 is overkill for what you wnat (and it's rather spendy). I'd be looking at the A-190 or the Doepfer MCV4, which would also do what you want and might be cheaper, although it's not in a module format. The other possibility would be maybe to try to find a used JKJ CV-4.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:52 pm

cornutt wrote:First note: I think you meant the A-190. The A-192 converts CV to MIDI.
I read it as CV to MIDI being what he wants.

The manual for the Doepfer can be downloaded from their website (it's on the page dedicated to that module) and while it's plenty cheaper than the AS, at first glance it doesn't seem to be very highly spec'd.

Another option, if you can find one, is an old used Roland OP8m. It was intended as a MIDI ouput for the MC-4 analogue sequencer. Don't confuse it with the straight OP8 though, that had DCB out, not MIDI. The OP8 goes for anything above £100 or so, but I've not seen an OP8m for sale in a long time.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:41 pm

The Doepfer doesn't do gates.
The MCV4 is a midi to CV/Gate converter.

The RS300 seems the only option.
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

Analogicus

Post by Analogicus » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:46 pm

Yes, I did mean CV to Midi...
I failed to realize that the Doepfer module didn't do gates, so looks like I'll be ordering the RS300.

Thanks for the input.
Latest Addition: Harvestman Malgorithm