MIDI-USB interface problems

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
squaresprocket

MIDI-USB interface problems

Post by squaresprocket » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:21 am

I've never used a computer to edit or control my synths, so I have little knowledge of Midi in general. I got an E-MU XMIDI 1x1 midi-USB interface, and installed the required firmware. I want to use it to edit and save my MicroKorg patches and back up my Juno 106 patches. I have the correct programs and firmware, and the cable is properly connected, but MicroKorg sound editor says "Error:No Device Found" and the Juno 106 librarian won't load anything either. In both cases, the E-MU XMIDI device appears on the midi in an out options, but for some reason it's not detecting the synth. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:49 am

1. select the proper midi I/O in the editor.
2. if there's any, turn off memory protect of the synths, turn rec syx to on (or similar).
3. Test the midi interface activity by something like the Midi Ox
4. if there's any, look at the midi activity light while pressing the keyboard or receiving data from the librarian. I it's not turn on, it could be the midi cables or USB problem.
5. try the other midi slot on the computer
6. try the midi interface with another synth
7. this is the last to be expected, that the synth midi I/O got problem.
Good luck, hope you can solve the problems and have a great time with such nice synths.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:13 pm

do you have both the in and out connected?

squaresprocket

Post by squaresprocket » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:36 am

Thanks for the advice. The MIDI out light blinks when MicroKorg sound editor tries to detect the synth, but the MIDI in light remains unlit. I tried several things, and none of the programs would detect the synth until I reversed the in and out cables. It doesn't make sense, but now it detects the synth..but now it say it can't receive midi information from the device. Both cables are connected. I've selected the USB interface for both Midi In and Out. Also, all the settings on the keyboard are correct. With the cables, reversed, Midi OX is receiving the information from the keyboard perfectly. Microkorg sound editor isn't though.

Edit-With the cables reversed, the microkorg is receiving information from the program-however, the program isn't importing the patches to edit.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:29 am

any chance to trade the unit with other? or probably even the same type of unit. May be that's a defect one.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums