Acer travelmate 2310 help needed

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
polar69
Gear: An1x CS1x Rm1x MPD24 Stylophone Zoom gfx100 Reason Reaper

Acer travelmate 2310 help needed

Post by polar69 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:25 pm

Help ! Does anyone know how to get the motherboard out of the above laptop ? I think I need to remove the keyboard as if I remove all the screws on the back I STILL can't get to it. For those interested I'm trying to get to my power plug at the back, I think it has a dry joint

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:10 pm

Before I put this into Help --

Do you have to waggle the power cable to get it to work? Did this happen after you tripped over the cord?

This happened to me on an Asus A6T. The official advice I was given, was that often the power socket is often part of the motherboard, and that if it's broken the motherboard has to be replaced.

Having assembled and fixed desktop PCs before, I thought I'd take a look inside. I gave up after an hour, and I was sure I had all the screws too.

My advice would be, that unless you're experienced at repairing laptops, I'd take it to a professional. Shop around -- prices will vary.

Or you could do what I did -- if your laptop's not too old -- and take it back to the laptop manufacturer. Got it repaired for free!

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:15 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the Travelmate 2310 is about three years old. The OP's computer is well past warranty. A motherboard repair of a laptop by the vendor would run in the US$500-$600 range, I imagine. Unless he can find a non-authorized repair shop who'll do it cheaper, he's better off doing the repair himself or -- and this sucks -- replacing the computer.

UTEPguy

Post by UTEPguy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:51 am

This sort of things are easy to fix. The hard part (tedious would be a better word) is to tear apart the lappy. I know it takes me an hour to properly open up one...Im lazy though. Anyways, you just need to remove the power jack using a soldering iron and solder the new one. You can find the power jack on ebay, costs around $15 US. If you decide to take matters into your own hands use a pro iron with temperature regulator, otherwise you might burn the surface of the motherboard. Here is a link to a power jack on the bay link
Synth arsenal: Fusion 6HD, JX-8P + pg-800, XP-10, and MS-2000.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:55 am

Sometimes the keyboards on laptops snap out if you get some of the plastic parts around it and off it too. Don't know about that one imparticular tho good luck.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

polar69
Gear: An1x CS1x Rm1x MPD24 Stylophone Zoom gfx100 Reason Reaper

Post by polar69 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:17 am

Fixed it ! Dirty switch believe it or not, if anyone wants to know how I did it I'llpost details :lol: