HELP! My MS20 is going crazy

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
magnus

HELP! My MS20 is going crazy

Post by magnus » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:07 pm

Hi,
I'm having problems with my Korg MS20. I'm hoping they are easily remedied, as I really don't have the cash to spend £200+ to have it repaired.

The main problem is with VCO1. When I play it from the keyboard it sounds awful - every note fluctuates in pitch. This doesn't seem to happen when I control it through the frequency input.
Also, the octave select knob shifts the pitch by about 11 semitones rather than a ful octave. The keyboard did take it up by about 13 semitones C-C, but I had a tentative fiddle with the trimmers through the front panel, and this seemed to remedy the problem, without improving the octave knob's response.
Of slightly less concern is the fact that a few keys play flat intermittently, whichever VCO is used.
Does this sound serious? Fixable? I remember hearing that there is a nylon connecter somewhere inside that can eventually break and start destroying components, but I don't know what the symptoms are.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Magnus

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Multimeter
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff
Band: Cybernetik

Post by Maschinengeist » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:06 am

If the frequency input control correctly the VCO1, we can assume then that maybe the keyboard CV need to be adjusted. You'll need a digital multimeter. Follow the instruction on the page 10 of the service manual (available online. Use Google)

Octave select knob: should a 100K. Verify it for accuracy with a multimeter. Could be a problem with a transistor. But I'd go with the pot first.

While at it, perform the adjustments outlined in the service manual. Your MS-20 will love you more.

Hope that helps
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"

magnus

Post by magnus » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:08 pm

Thanks. I'll give it a go