JV 1080 Question: What goes in the PCM/Data slots?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
BluMunk
Gear: RD700GX
Korg M3-61/Radias
Dave Smith PER
Virus Snow
FS1R
JV-2080/Xpanded
D-550
Matrix 6R
Proteus
QSR
Band: Sneezeguard

JV 1080 Question: What goes in the PCM/Data slots?

Post by BluMunk » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:40 am

Well, the title says it all.

I've got a JV1080 that I use a fair amount and want to maximize its sonic posibilities. I've never used the PCM card slot or the Data card slot; are there particular model number cards that are compatible? I often see things on e-bay like this, is that something usable in the JV1080? Is there a difference between the Data card and PCM card?

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:31 pm

I presume you don't have a manual.

That link is for a Roland U110 synth which I'm pretty sure uses different cards. From memory, the JV1080 can take PCM ROM cards that have additional patches on using the JV's existing waveforms. The data card slot is similar but for RAM cards so you can save your patches to it (additional user memories if you like).

The cards come up on Ebay from time to time, but forget the correct name for these. You'd be best getting hold of a manual online. Try www.rolandus.com

Alternatively, get yourself some SRJV80 expansion boards (the module can take four inside it). Some of these are dirt cheap these days and will give you far more waveforms and patches to expand your sonic possibilities ! Vintage Synth is one to look out for.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:22 pm

as I remember, the slots are not hot swapable that the unit must be turned off first before pluging or un-pluging the cards.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums