covering synths with cloth?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
nitkov
Gear: vlt-1, juno 60, poly-800, ptx-8, dx-11, K5, s2800, nord rack, er-1...
Band: alone, ilegalne emocije

covering synths with cloth?

Post by nitkov » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:39 pm

last week i bought 3,5 meters of very nice black cloth. my idea was to cut it in rectangles and use them to cover my synths to protect them from dust. but later i realised that the cloth is 100% polyester, and as such, it gets electrified by the slightest rubbing . at risk of being stupid, i must ask you - could such electricity be harmful for my synths? for example, could it corrupt the data on my kawai k5's ram card or dx-11's cartridge? or anything else?
vlt-1, juno 60, poly-800 [soon to go], ptx-8, dx-11, K5, s2800, nord rack, er-1...

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Re: covering synths with cloth?

Post by cornutt » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:50 pm

nitkov wrote:last week i bought 3,5 meters of very nice black cloth. my idea was to cut it in rectangles and use them to cover my synths to protect them from dust. but later i realised that the cloth is 100% polyester, and as such, it gets electrified by the slightest rubbing . at risk of being stupid, i must ask you - could such electricity be harmful for my synths? for example, could it corrupt the data on my kawai k5's ram card or dx-11's cartridge? or anything else?

It could. I wouldn't use it. You might want to try spraying it with some of the anti-static that women spray their hose with. But probably the best thing would be to get something else. Cotton isn't as bad about static, but the cloth itself is a source of dust.

At some point I'm going to try buying some Teflon sheet to cover my keyboards. Only thing I wonder about is if it'll stay on.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:52 pm

Electronics and static don't mix too well, it could corrupt or damage the electronics.

Better to use something less staticky but also something that doesn't shed a lot of dust/lint. The Yamaha dust cover I got for my Motif is made out of spandex.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

nitkov
Gear: vlt-1, juno 60, poly-800, ptx-8, dx-11, K5, s2800, nord rack, er-1...
Band: alone, ilegalne emocije

Post by nitkov » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:45 pm

thanx a lot for your replies! i'll think of something else to cover my synths with... in the meantime, i might make use 3,5 meters of black polyester for a stage costume or something :lol:
vlt-1, juno 60, poly-800 [soon to go], ptx-8, dx-11, K5, s2800, nord rack, er-1...

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:40 pm

As a gift, my wife and daughter made me a whole bunch of fitted covers for my synths from cotton cloth. There's a print on it of variously colored chili peppers on a black background. It looks terrific and there's no static issues.
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:22 pm

Huppo wrote:As a gift, my wife and daughter made me a whole bunch of fitted covers for my synths from cotton cloth. There's a print on it of variously colored chili peppers on a black background. It looks terrific and there's no static issues.
Is dust/lint an issue though?
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Huppo

Post by Huppo » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:44 am

Synthaholic wrote:
Huppo wrote:As a gift, my wife and daughter made me a whole bunch of fitted covers for my synths from cotton cloth. There's a print on it of variously colored chili peppers on a black background. It looks terrific and there's no static issues.
Is dust/lint an issue though?
Nope. The studio space has a dust filter thing running 24/7 so its not very dusty in there at all and what dust there is doesn't settle through or anything.

I have seen zero lint from the fabric, either. It's just single layer cotton print cloth, not particularly prone to disintegrating.
~huppo

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:39 am

Huppo wrote:The studio space has a dust filter thing running 24/7 .
one question - is there anyway to get insurance to front the cost since you have asthma? you would think so, as it would theorhetically keep you out of the doctors office...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

WDW

Post by WDW » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:39 pm

Spandex covers shroud almost all of my synths, and then cotton sheets atop all of the stands. So, everything is covered twice. The spandex covers, which form fit to the individual synths keep the dust from settling in the controls and keys, and the sheets keep the dust from settling on my stands, as well as the synths. No static with either of them.

Humidity plays a role in the static buildup. Living fairly close to the coast, I have just enough humidity to keep the static down but not so much as to promote mildew and corrosion. For those in exceptionally dry climates, humidifiers might be an option*.

Additionally, I run two air filters 24/7.

WD

* I also have a humidifier that I run occasionally to maintain an even level for my acoustic instruments, when they are out of their cases for prolonged periods.
WD Whaley Music - W2Studios
Composer | Songwriter | Synthesist
http://www.facebook.com/wdwhaleymusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/w2studios

Huppo

Post by Huppo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:01 pm

tallowwaters wrote:
Huppo wrote:The studio space has a dust filter thing running 24/7 .
one question - is there anyway to get insurance to front the cost since you have asthma? you would think so, as it would theorhetically keep you out of the doctors office...
Interesting question, but there is no discernible cost to running this thing so I don't know what I'd claim. I got the air purifier as a gift about 5 years ago, it's small and doesn't draw enough electricity to bother worrying about and the filters are even cheap.

I'll let the insurance pay for the $200 a month prescriptions instead and not be greedy.
~huppo

DX

Post by DX » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:20 am

I cover my synth rigs (I have them in rows of 3) with bed sheets. It works fine and doesn't seem to be any static problem over there.

Even the synths sleep better :D
Roland Promars, E-mu EMAX and some other machines...

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:38 pm

Do those air purifiers/filters really work?

My room can get quite dusty from time to time so I think investing in one would be ideal to save me having to clean everything quite so often. However my family seem convinced that it'll have absolutely no effect.

So if anyone here can let me know that firing on an air filter in the room really makes a difference that'd be great. Oh and if you have any recommendations for a specific model I'd appreciate that too.

fletriste

Post by fletriste » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:37 pm

I use bubblewrap - it's good for preventing damage from dropped items onto synths and spillage from cans of beer.