Busted Poly-800 -help

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Busted Poly-800 -help

Post by Alex E » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:16 pm

I just got a dusty "as-is" poly-800 and I used my microkorg ac adapter to turn it on.

The led display did not light up, but it does make weird sounds that only a broken synth would make. Like, long sustaining sounds with maximum filter resonance.

I opened it up and had a look inside but it seemed okay. I don't know quite what to look for anyways, but I cleaned off some minor oxidization on the pcb.

I haven't tried loading the factory patches because there is no point in that as long as I can't get in that mode.

There is a ribbon cable connecting the keybed to the main board and I accidntally pinched one strand of it when I closed the case again for the first time. I hope I didn't mess anything up even more. The wire seems okay but the plastic is totally squished.

Anyways, where should I start? :?
soundcloud.com/vectron

metrosonus

Post by metrosonus » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:56 pm

is the power adapter rated for the 800?

change the batteries, and run it from them.. if it works, download the manual and wav file, then load the wav file via the manual. keep your volume low and then gradually increase it. it'll take a few tries to get it right.

http://metro-sonus.com/files/

I really dont know aside from that, you could have some busted caps or damage to the ICs .. ect.

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:37 am

when i got my 800 thats the kinda sounds it was making too, it may need to be reprogrammed. some of my settings were beyond the the limit they are capable of like 15 when it only goes to 12?! but once they were brought back down they were fine. with no led display, thats going to be kinda tough, its tedious to set up fully functioning but not being able to see what your doing? s**t!

side note: i use a HOSA power supply it comes with multiple connectors to fit pretty much anything and it has a dial to select voltage. got mine at sam ash

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:04 pm

My Poly-800 was also a bit freaky when I got it, but it did come with the original cassette of patch data, which I managed to load up. But first I needed to put a battery in.

The early MkI 800s had no onboard battery (a CR2032 soldered to the main board to hold the memory) so relied on regular batteries in the compartment to keep sounds in there. Without them, all the sounds vanish on power-down. Later MkI 800s do have a 2032 soldered to the board, but these don't last forever and that's what I had in mine. Easy to replace - desolder it, solder in a little battery holder, and fill it with a new 2032. If your model is an early one, there are instructions on the web somewhere for fitting a memory battery inside.

Until I replaced the battery and loaded up the presets, the synth wouls only make windy whistling noises, and then only when I waggled the joystick. Afterwards: it only sounds like cheese! But a tasty cheese nonetheless.

Hopefully, you just need to do this procedure to fix your 800. It is always worth making sure you have a sufficient power supply though. The 800 requires 9v DC, centre (tip) negative, minimum of 300mA. Make sure you use a regulated supply. Funny things can happen with the wrong power, I had similar issues with a Kenton interface once.

insky

Post by insky » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:59 am

It lost the patch memory is all. Either there are no batteries in it or the batteries that are in it are dead. I'm not sure what the the MicroKorg adapter is like but the Poly800 needs to be 9 volts DC with the tip negative and the ring positive.

The broken LED sucks though...making it pretty much impossible to edit. I'm 99.99% sure that it's just memory loss on your Poly800 though because that's what they do without a batterry.
Stuff I own:
X Station
ESQ-1
JX-8P
Poly 800
MaxiKorg 800DV
Elka Rhapsody 610

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:51 am

Put working batteries in it, same results. Oh well. I think I'll eventually get a working one and keep this for spares because this thing is really messed up...

Thanks for the help.
soundcloud.com/vectron