Restoring yellowed plastic keys

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
pangmaster
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Voyager, PEK, A6, FIZ, Six-Trak, Juno, CZ, and other stuff

Restoring yellowed plastic keys

Post by pangmaster » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:43 pm

I've got two 80s-era synths whose white keys have yellowed slightly, and I'm wondering if anyone out there has any advice about how to restore them to their original white color, or if it's even possible. I've read that soaking white plastic in 3% hydrogen peroxide might be an option to bleach the yellow out. Has anyone tried this on synth keys?

Are there other options? The keys are in great shape other than the slight yellowing, and I don't really want to replace them all as it will probably be too costly. But I do want to restore them if possible.

Cheers! 8)
"To be human, to be fully human, is to need music and to derive nourishment from the music you hear." - Bob Moog

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:07 pm

Before using any harsh cleaners try cleaning the keys with dishwashing soap. If you can remove all the keys let them soak in soapy water before scrubbing with a mildly abrasive dishwashing sponge. If that doesn't do it then try something stronger.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Post by synth3tik » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:24 am

I had some keys that were so yellowed I used diluted hydrochloric acid. 1 part HC to 20 parts H2O. However unless there is a chemistry degree around, I would not try this.

Letting them soak in water and disk soap is the best plan.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:43 am

Bleach or white enamel paint. Just a couple ideas.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

pangmaster
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by pangmaster » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:59 am

V301H wrote:Before using any harsh cleaners try cleaning the keys with dishwashing soap. If you can remove all the keys let them soak in soapy water before scrubbing with a mildly abrasive dishwashing sponge. If that doesn't do it then try something stronger.
I've tried cleaning them with detergent and other mild stuff and no dice. I'm going to try the 3% hydrogen peroxide next.
synth3tik wrote:I had some keys that were so yellowed I used diluted hydrochloric acid. 1 part HC to 20 parts H2O. However unless there is a chemistry degree around, I would not try this.

Letting them soak in water and disk soap is the best plan.
Yeah, I was a music major so I don't want to mess with something that caustic!
Zamise wrote:Bleach or white enamel paint.
I'm hesitant to try the bleach because it could damage the plastic. Maybe as a last resort. Painting is something I thought of, but it could be a pain to get all the keys looking the same.

Thanks for the replies! 8)
"To be human, to be fully human, is to need music and to derive nourishment from the music you hear." - Bob Moog

ramos

Post by ramos » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:25 am

Try Eucalyptus oil.

it cleans plastic really well, and your synth will smell like the Austalian outback!
Sh-101, tb-303, Juno-6, Jx-3p, TR-808, TR-707, TR-727,Oberheim DMX - Tascam m-312b + ghetto effects

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:22 pm

id just leave it alone.... but let us know if you find something that works.
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

pangmaster
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by pangmaster » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:25 am

I give up for the moment. A 3% hydrogen peroxide bath didn't work, and soaking in a highly concentrated Oxy-Clean solution didn't work either. My keys are very clean now, but still slightly yellow. I don't want to try bleach for fear of damaging the plastic. Painting is too much work and I've got better things to do with what little free time I have. I was hoping that this was somewhat easily solved, but apparently not. I didn't try the eucalyptus oil yet, but maybe I'll give that a go next time the yellowness gets to me again. ;)

Cheers for the ideas!

vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Post by vcs3 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:08 pm

I have the same problem with my Juno-60 keys and the board buttons,
I will try some stuff I have around, then let you know.

pangmaster
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Restoring yellowed plastic keys

Post by pangmaster » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:30 pm

Resurrecting an old thread, but it seems that some chemistry geeks have created a recipe for Retr0Bright that looks promising in restoring old, yellowed plastics. In case anyone is interested... 8-)

I tried straight-up peroxide and Oxy-Clean separately, but never used UV light. Maybe if I have a chance I'll tear apart the synths again and give this recipe a go.

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:41 pm

Granted this doesn't answer the question, but I really like when a bit of yellow patina forms on my synths. I haven't had a ciggie in over six years, but despite that, my Little Phatty has a nice creaminess to the keys that makes it look more vintage than it actually is.

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:36 am

I haven't tried this myself, but what about laying the white keys out in the sun? It sure seems to fade everything else. Might be worth a try.

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:51 am

:)