Ion output problem

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
MPrint
Gear: Prophet 08, Moog LP Stage 2, Vestax Controller-one, Microkorg, Akai xr-20, Korg Electribe ESX-1, Macbook, Brain and fingers.
Band: Venkman/Melophonic

Ion output problem

Post by MPrint » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:06 pm

Okay so I have an Alesis Ion that is currently on the fritz. The main output is really low, but it seems to be more normal when I output from the headphones. So obviously it seems to me that the main output has some kind of problem. So my question, is this a common problem with the Ion and what could the cause be? This keyboard has been passed around a bit between some of my friends who don't exactly keep their equipment tidy. Could it just be dirty or what? Also the lcd screen is getting a dark shade on it like your looking at it from a side angle.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:47 am

Yeah it's a fairly common problem with Ions, the output amp dies. Take it back to the store and see if they can send it back to Alesis, they might fix it free of charge.

saltmiser

well on the micron..

Post by saltmiser » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:01 am

that sucks...I have a micron though; and the headphone output seems to be just as loud as the left and right outputs (assuming the ion has the left and right outputs like I think it does), just get a 1/4 stereo to 2 1/4 mono y cable. guitarcenter sells them; I have a whole bunch they work great.

MPrint
Gear: Prophet 08, Moog LP Stage 2, Vestax Controller-one, Microkorg, Akai xr-20, Korg Electribe ESX-1, Macbook, Brain and fingers.
Band: Venkman/Melophonic

Post by MPrint » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:10 am

So how much would the amp be to fix if they didn't do it for free?

Pinus

Post by Pinus » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:22 am

MPrint, there should be a setting to adjust the screen contrast.

I also had a problem with my Ion when I first got it. I ended up returning it and got another one. You may want to contact Alesis and ask them where their repair centers are located. The repair center should be able to give you an estimate.

Toris

Post by Toris » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:41 am

Yep, it's the output FET's that go on the Ion, known fault.
Err...now what?

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Sun May 04, 2008 9:11 am

I wonder if this known fault affected all serial numbers or if it was fixed mid-production? Was it a symptom that reared its head early or never? Or can it show up later as the instrument ages?

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Sun May 04, 2008 12:56 pm

Similar thing happened to mine, except for being stuck on low it was stuck on high. All I had to do was replace the Master Volume potentiometer and wah-lah, good as new. I had noticed when removing the old pot and putting the new one in, that the material for the circuit boards were different from each other: don't think this had anything to do with it? But when I had first gotten it, worked fine. Then few months later, BAM!, headphone and right stereo bad. But this may or may not solve your problem.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!