Busted Poly 800

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
eucarya

Busted Poly 800

Post by eucarya » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:43 am

So I was out picking up a semi-working Korg DDM-110 (Super DrumS!) that I won on eBizzle earlier today and ran across a Poly 800 hidden amongst several Casio c**p-classicks and Yamaha PSS (or POS :P). I asked guy if it was working and he said it was... until...

"I was jamming out on it, and accidentally hit the voltage control on the adapter, since then it hasn't turned on..."

So I coughed up $75.00 , which seemed reasonable as I've been eyeballing these thangs on eBay for a little while...

Got it home and tested out both the DDM-110 and the Poly 800. DDM-110 is more functional than described on 'tha bay' and I think all repairs to it should be pretty straightforward. Also got the Poly 800 to turn on and display but the sounds coming out of this thing are crazily uncrazy ;)

I've got a slight cascading high oscillation, honestly sounds like what I'd imagine an LFO to sound like if you minus the L. Also lots of dull noise. Key clicks or sequencer 'play' initiate these oddities. I'm guessing, after bouncing it off a buddy that too much current indeed did flow through the Poly 800 and fry something. I'm gonna open it up and try to trace some electricity with a scope and poke around a bit.

My questions read thus. Does anyone have any experience with the Poly 800? Particularly repairs... I'm aware of the FM/Moog Slayer mods which is largely why I've been interested in copping one. I should shoot that guy an email and see if he has any suggestions.

I've got a bit of experience with electronics and modding, but not too much with repairs or 'getting to the bottom' of malfunctions. I've been collection broken gear over the past few weeks though, so it looks like its time to get down to Solder City...

Also what do you guys think about 75 bucks? I offered him 65 and 75 didn't seem too much of a jump, looks like these go 'as-is' for about that with shipping on average...

Aside from that I wanted to share the joy of finding a kind-of-cool synth buried amongst junk, even if it wasn't fully working, with you guys!

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:47 am

try restoring it first

if you google, i believe their is a generic 800 "bug" that needs the unit to be reset (new memory battery + feeding it everything through tape or midi or something...)

i'm a poor source of information, i know :(

metrosonus

Post by metrosonus » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:02 am

the 800s cpu acts really weird when the voltage gets wacky. the best thing to do is remove all the batteries, wait a while (a good hour or two), put them back in (use new ones) and reload the memory.

the 800's are actually pretty tough. they are simple to figure out from an electronics perspective and the cpu wonk out is 90% of most peoples problems, and i've seen some really really weird things that letting the memory discharge solved.

if that doesn't work, start out at the power input and work backwards through the trace checking all the diodes and resistors. the brown board is the amplifier / power board. your problem may be in there.

eucarya

Post by eucarya » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:43 am

metrosonus wrote:the 800s cpu acts really weird when the voltage gets wacky. the best thing to do is remove all the batteries, wait a while (a good hour or two), put them back in (use new ones) and reload the memory.
How do I reload the memory?

EDIT: After googling briefly it looks like the Poly800 I which is the model I picked up didn't have sysex functionality... I don't have the tape machine or want to search one out, do you know of any way of reloading it without?

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:30 am

The presets are available online as an audio data file - play that into the tape input on your Poly using any convenient audio software (audacity, your DAW, etc). Might take a little tweaking with the volume, but it's easy enough.

metrosonus

Post by metrosonus » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:48 am

http://soyuz7.net/files/poly800/

here are the manual and wav file.

the instructions are in the manual, but essentially connect a 1/8th cable from your line out to the "from tape" jack on the back of the 800. move the switch to "low".

switch the "program write" switch to "enable",

press the "load" button from the keypad, the LCD should say "load".

turn the volume up pretty high, then using any sound utility or media player play back the wav file.

if everything works ok itll say "good". you may have to fool with the volume a few times to get it right. if it says good, switch the "write" switch to disable.

it's all in the manual too.

eucarya

Post by eucarya » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:55 am

Thanks guys!

Opened it up earlier tonight, was fairly dusty inside so cleaned a little bit and unsoldered the battery which was a bit corroded. Gonna run to Rat Shanty tomorrow and see if I can find the right battery holder so I don't gotta wait for Mouser...

The Poly 800 I picked up is a "I" but I used this guide for the battery replacement, guts look close enough in the II.

So, progress... once I get a new battery installed I'm gonna try to reload the sounds and get it running.. This thing was pretty gunky, I'm guessing it's been sitting somewhere for a few years. It was filled with corroded c batteries too. Yuck..

WDW

Post by WDW » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:10 am

This is really a HELP topic.

WD
WD Whaley Music - W2Studios
Composer | Songwriter | Synthesist
http://www.facebook.com/wdwhaleymusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/w2studios

eucarya

Post by eucarya » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:54 am

Did the whole battery replacement thing, loaded sounds, etc. Seems that wasn't the problem as its still acting funky.

Assigned the Poly800 to the lower shelf in the workshop and marked it "to be continued..."

Thanks a million for the help guys!!

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Multimeter
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff
Band: Cybernetik

Post by Maschinengeist » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:24 am

I'll try to find time and consult my service manual + schematics.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"