DX7 Mark 1 lower case patch names

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

DX7 Mark 1 lower case patch names

Post by gcoudert » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:53 pm

Every time I name a patch in my DX7 mark 1, I am stuck with UPPER CASE characters.

Back in the days when I used Dr.T's DXHeaven Atari ST editor/librarian, I was able to use lower case letters which actually appeared in lower case in the TX7/DX7's display so I'm sure it can be done but how?

The manual does not cover that topic. Nor does Howard Massey's book "The Complete DX7".

Can anybody help? Thanks,

Gilles
GC

DX

Post by DX » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:03 am

I don't remember how I did it on mine. I will check at the studio and will let you know.
Roland Promars, E-mu EMAX and some other machines...

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:55 am

Thanks, I've tried the data slider and +1/-1 buttons and they have no effect.

Gilles
GC

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:01 pm

Looking in the manual, I don't see any way to input lowercase characters on a DX7mk1.

Your best bet is to use a PC editor to name your patches if you want lowercase in the names.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by gcoudert » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:12 pm

I still have the manual for the DX7S (I used to own one years ago) and it says on page 35 that:
"using the Data Entry buttons while NOT holding the Edit/Character button lets you switch between Large or small characters. The +1 button selects the Large character mode, the -1 button selects the small character mode."
These characters are also available on the DX7S: - . ! @ # $ % * ( ) + ,

I have tried this on my DX7 mark 1 but it doesn't work at all. I wonder if all old DX7s are like this or if it's just mine. It does some funny things; for example, it won't recognise RAM cartridges, formatted or not. I wonder if that's because of the Sycologic V2 hardware upgrade.

Never mind. Thanks for trying.

Gilles
GC

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:48 am

The DX7mkII and DX7S and its siblings (TX802 etc.) can input lower case names; I do it all the time on my 802. But apparently the DX7mkI can't.

I guess that explains why all the original DX7 patches had all-capital names.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by gcoudert » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:44 am

Synthaholic wrote:The DX7mkII and DX7S and its siblings (TX802 etc.) can input lower case names; I do it all the time on my 802. But apparently the DX7mkI can't.

I guess that explains why all the original DX7 patches had all-capital names.
Yes I guess so, but it's really frustrating as patches exported into the DX7 mk 1 via DXHeaven appear with lower case characters in the display so those characters do exist and yet, they're not available!

Here's a photo of my DX7's display, showing lower case characters. They also appear that way in the TX7 display:

Gilles
GC